Trailer Hitch and brake controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dv102

I am sorry if this is a repeat posting but being a newbie I am at my wits end reading about the proper WD Hitch as well as the brake controllers so without any long explanations can someone please help steer me in the right directions,

My truck is an 06 F150 reg cab 4x4  with a 5.4 and 3.73 rear end I bought it last year so I don't know if it came with the factory tow package although it does have the trans cooler in front of the radiator and there  was an unopened package in the glove box with the Ford pigtail connector and relay for the trailer brakes with instructions. The hitch receiver on the truck has both types of plugins the round 7 pin and the littler 4 pin. From what I have read from camping worlds site the max tow capacity is 6400 but on other sites I found said it was up to 9000, The only passengers when towing will be my wife and lab, and the only thing that I may be carrying in the bed will be a couple of coolers.

The trailer I have bought has a GVWR of 3850lbs and the hitch dry weight is 452lbs.

What type of brake controller will I need and also will a 800lb WD Hitch be good or should I get a 1000lb hitch o get the smoothest safest ride.
Thanks

If you are going to install the controller yourself look on Amazon. They have reviews with questions and answers on most things they sell. If you are going to have a shop install it ask them for recommendations. As far as hitch goes bigger is better....

I highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller. I did not need all the bells and whistles of the P3. Great controllers.

X2 on the Tekonsha. Your tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the loaded trailer's weight. That's 385 to 577#. 600# bars should be plenty for that trailer.

X3 on the Tekonsha P2.

Although a WDH is preferred, you might hook it up and give it a whirl.  IMO you are on the fence of even needing one.  If you do get one, I'd agree with a 600# tongue.  Don't know your budget, but etrailer.com has lots of choices and reviews, great place to start.

First, those published max tow numbers are total lies!  With that said, you have plenty of truck for a 3800# camper.

While too much truck is seldom an issue, too much hitch is!  You do need to match the hitch to the actual TT weight.  As Spencer said, you may want to try it without a WD hitch.  Generally hitch wt under 500# does not need a WD hitch.  If you choose to get a WD hitch, 600# bars are plenty!

My ?05 Ram 1500 had a connected under the dash for a brake controller. I used a prodigy. Actually still have it in the basement. You want it cheap!  Hooking it up was easy. Maybe your Ford has the connector too?

Check your driver door (B) pillar for a sticker with yellow on it. It will tell you the max payload you can put in/on YOUR truck. My half ton didn?t mind 600lb of tongue weight. Even pulling 7000 lbs I neve4 needed a WDH.

Let us know the numbers on your sticker.

Back
Top Bottom