towing with F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobie1

i want to buy a TT 20'-30' and buying a 2018 F150 to tow it. the 2.7L ecoboost v6  towin cap rated to 7700lbs and the 3.5L is rated to 12,000lbs.  of course the 2.7L gets slightly better gas mileage. based on your RV experience, what would you recommend?

We just purchased the 2018 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5L with the tow package to tow our 33.5' travel trailer. The trailer weighs about 9,000lbs wet and the F150 ride is SWEET!!! Frankly, if a 20-30' trailer is traveling wet, plus the weight of people in the vehicle and any other accouterments, it could easily cap out the weight on the 2.7L ecoboost V6. I'd go with the 3.5L so that you have some wiggle room, especially if you plan to climb hills.

The Ford tow package makes it easier to connect and maneuver the trailer. We plan to add another back-up camera to the back of the trailer itself fairly soon. It should connect into the Ford's back-up camera system after the tow setup is complete.

if you live in CA.... you might complain when you every year when you get the registration fees for a 3/4 or 1 ton,  and with gas approaching $4 per gallon... you're gonna complain a lot less at the gas pumps with the Ecoboost.

BUT....If you are hauling a big trailer all day every day..... then like Pugapooh says... buy a Freightliner.   

RedSonia29 said:
We just purchased the 2018 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5L with the tow package to tow our 33.5' travel trailer. The trailer weighs about 9,000lbs wet and the F150 ride is SWEET!!! Frankly, if a 20-30' trailer is traveling wet, plus the weight of people in the vehicle and any other accouterments, it could easily cap out the weight on the 2.7L ecoboost V6. I'd go with the 3.5L so that you have some wiggle room, especially if you plan to climb hills.

The Ford tow package makes it easier to connect and maneuver the trailer. We plan to add another back-up camera to the back of the trailer itself fairly soon. It should connect into the Ford's back-up camera system after the tow setup is complete.

please let me know when your traveling - so that i can avoid the routes your on - i dont want to be caught in the traffic jam when you crash.

any gust of wind and panic stop and you are in huge trouble. 33ft behind a F150 is asking for trouble - sorry

why is that ? 

My Dad had no problems towing our 30 foot travel trailer over the Rockies with mom and us 4 kids, in our 1968 Ford Country Squire station wagon. it wasn't even a pickup truck.

Does a 3/4 ton weigh that much more ?

steveblonde said:
please let me know when your traveling - so that i can avoid the routes your on - i dont want to be caught in the traffic jam when you crash.

any gust of wind and panic stop and you are in huge trouble. 33ft behind a F150 is asking for trouble - sorry

X2.  I wouldn't put anything more than 25' behind a F150, no way. 

and I just saw a diesel Volkswagon Turag tow a 30 foot Airstream into our park.

(he must have been like a professional driver or something  ;) )

Hobie1 said:
i want to buy a TT 20'-30' and buying a 2018 F150 to tow it. the 2.7L ecoboost v6  towin cap rated to 7700lbs and the 3.5L is rated to 12,000lbs.  of course the 2.7L gets slightly better gas mileage. based on your RV experience, what would you recommend?

The disappointment of a smaller engine may last a lot longer than the sting of increased fuel costs...

RedSonia29 said:

thanks that what im thinking too...wiggle room. Great idea to install backup camera into truck system. let us know if it works.

sightseers said:
and I just saw a diesel Volkswagon Turag tow a 30 foot Airstream into our park.

(he must have been like a professional driver or something  ;) )
;D

sightseers said:
why is that ? 

My Dad had no problems towing our 30 foot travel trailer over the Rockies with mom and us 4 kids, in our 1968 Ford Country Squire station wagon. it wasn't even a pickup truck.

Does a 3/4 ton weigh that much more ?
yes and cost 50% more.  ill mostly use the F150 for daily transportation (not towing). towing probably will be 2x year and i have trailer brakes, stabilizer bars and never tow more than 80% capacity.

No different than your TC thread.  You either purchase as much truck as you want or can afford then purchase the TT that fits with the limits of the truck.  Whatever those limits are, and none of us can answer that until the precise limits are known for that specific vehicle.

Or you purchase the trailer you like/want and deal with whatever truck you need to do the job.

If you insist on a 1/2 ton truck then make your purchase with as much available payload/ towing capacity as possible, not published generic information.  That means hitting the pavement and doing a lot of shopping and looking a the door sticker of each vehicle.

Gods Country said:
No different than your TC thread.  You either purchase as much truck as you want or can afford then purchase the TT that fits with the limits of the truck.  Whatever those limits are, and none of us can answer that until the precise limits are known for that specific vehicle.

Or you purchase the trailer you like/want and deal with whatever truck you need to do the job.

If you insist on a 1/2 ton truck then make your purchase with as much available payload/ towing capacity as possible, not published generic information.  That means hitting the pavement and doing a lot of shopping and looking a the door sticker of each vehicle.
good advice. based on pre-op i decided to not get a slide-in...way too complicated for what i want. So yes ill purchase the best 1/2 ton out there, then find compatible tt. yea ill have to hit the asphalt but i need to make a wish list first.

Hobie1 said:
good advice. based on pre-op i decided to not get a slide-in...way too complicated for what i want. So yes ill purchase the best 1/2 ton out there, then find compatible tt. yea ill have to hit the asphalt but i need to make a wish list first.

Sounds like a great plan, good luck, I hope you find the perfect truck.  You can always interact with a salesperson online, their website, and ask for a truck with the minimum specs, payload etc you need.  Have him walk the lot and come back with a link or three of what he has.  Cars.com is a good site in our area, most dealers use it. Online keeps you out of it emotionally up front.  Salesman are great at showing you the beauties, but maybe not the beauty workhorse you may need.  Just a thought, type out a paragraph, save it, and blast 10 local lots, you'll find what you are looking for  :))

spencerpj said:
Sounds like a great plan, good luck, I hope you find the perfect truck.  You can always interact with a salesperson online, their website, and ask for a truck with the minimum specs, payload etc you need.  Have him walk the lot and come back with a link or three of what he has.  Cars.com is a good site in our area, most dealers use it. Online keeps you out of it emotionally up front.  Salesman are great at showing you the beauties, but maybe not the beauty workhorse you may need.  Just a thought, type out a paragraph, save it, and blast 10 local lots, you'll find what you are looking for  :))
yesterday, test drove a F150 and wow Ford has tech-mania. 5 different drive modes with 10 speed variable torque, backup camera, GPS navigation & weather w/o subscription.

Hope they are doing something right, their stock is at a 6 year low.  Don't understand, unless Top Management is bleeding it dry?

spencerpj said:
Hope they are doing something right, their stock is at a 6 year low.  Don't understand, unless Top Management is bleeding it dry?
i wonder the same. the truck line isn't going out of business, its booming. but their passenger line is failing big-time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom