how much to spend on first TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbTN

I'm looking to get a TT, its just me and my dog (55 lb boxer), I'm older and happy to be alone so no plans on sig. other, kids, or relatives joining me.

So I am looking at travel trailers and wonder how much I should spend on my 1st, and what size. I do know I do not like hybrids, nor do i think I want a slide. I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500, 4x4, cummins to tow with so I think I am pretty set there since I dont want a 30 ft monster for just me.

But I wonder if I am being too cheap looking for a used unit. I'd like to stay around or below 5k and there seems to be several out there in the 25 ft range in several brands.

I plan on getting some land in the next few yrs and I'd like to be able to take it out there so I need to have fresh water tank as well as grey and black water. And I want to use it both winter and summer. I have a small generator so don't really need that.

I like the ones I've seen with a bed you can walk around the sides, and a decent sized bath/shower would be best.

Do you think this is realistic or do I need to plan on spending more? Are there any "good" less expensive brands/models that I should look for?

thanks!

To me, the part that will be the hardest to fullfill is the camping in the winter part. My recommendation is try to find a good used Arctic Fox or a Nash.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for coming BEFORE purchase.

You are very wise to go used.  You will get a lot nicer trailer for the same money or save a lot of money for similar used model.

The most important factor in any purchase is Floor Plan!  Get one you and pooch LOVE.  Make sure you fit in the shower.  Do not "settle" for anything less.

For ANY used camper, condition is really the key issue.  Gently used or rough use with minimal maintenance.  See the Library near the tip for Pre Delivery checklists that can help.  The biggest issue is a leak.  If there is ANY sign of a leak - stains in cabinet walls, moldy smell, soft floors walls or roof, run away - fast!

As Goat said, your biggest challenge will be winter comfort.  However, just you may make that easier.

Any camper built in the last 30 years will have a fresh, gray and black tank.

You should have plenty of truck to tow almost any 25 ft TT out there. 

My favorite shopping sites are    PPL.com,    RVTrader      RVT    E Bay      and local RV dealers.

I had a Nash 22h made by Northwood. Excellent trailer and well built. The only thing we didn't like was what you mentioned....it didn't have a walk around bed.

Buying used is a great idea if you can find one that's clean which can be tough.

Your truck will do fine with what you are looking for.  Good luck in your search!!

Buying used is "smart", not "cheap", but you have to be willing to hunt down a well-kept one and educate yourself on what to look for in terms of initial quality and maintenance.  Set aside your car-buyer mentality - this is much more a house than a vehicle.  People routinely buy used houses.  You worry about the roof, the floors and the appliances.  And since this house is furnished, the furniture as well.

Any RV you get will have waste and fresh water tanks, but they they are not very large, even in big trailers.  Think in terms of a few days capacity, maybe as much as a week if you can train yourself to be miserly with water (a very few "navy" showers, careful dishwashing, etc).  Black water is the toughest, since it cannot be dumped just anywhere.

You don't want a "30 foot monster" or a slide, but then you mention a decent size bath/shower and walk around bed. Those things take up floor space!  What about a comfie recliner, a table for meals and hobbies, a doggie bed, etc.?  They all add up to more square feet of floor space.  25 ft is probably doable, but don't be surprised if you find yourself pushing in to that 30 ft range. Look at various sizes and layouts before setting any arbitrary length limits.

You should spend enough to get one of the better made units, whether new or used.  Build quality and materials go hand in hand with the price class. Extreme price competition in the RV industry assures that no brand is high priced simply because of profit margin, and an RV that achieves a lower MSRP does it by cutting corners.  Usually in places that most buyers won't look, or even be aware of.

thanks for all the ideas, I went to look at a rv dealer today, they didn't have much used but I got to look at different layouts and sizes. The ~25 ft units seemed to be about the right size and I didn't see the need for a slide in those I looked at. Sure if there were going to be a couple people in it then I can see the added room being a great plus.

just have to look for a used unit now.

I was going to suggest going to an RV show to see a good variety of RV's. However I'm not familiar with the shows in your area. 

The more you look at the better it is.

Perhaps someone on the forum knows of some RV shows in the Tennessee area. 

Don't discount a slide entirely.
The room they create is impressive.
I purchased a 2001 30' Sunnybrook a year ago for 5K$
Outstanding unit. Well built, alum structure. On the heavy side at 9800 GVWR.
Walk around bed, walk thru bath and slide out in front kitchen. We love it.

Number one issue is water damage. Our first jayco TT 22 ft had the furnace under the couch which was too close to the bed and constantly woke me up. If you can get by without a slide that's great it's less to go wrong less places to leak Less things to rot out if something does leak.  Batteries are on the tongue and you would like to have enough room up there to add more batteries if you were to Boondock much. Probably a minimum of two group 27 and after that you would go to two 6 Volt or series-parallel for 6 volts. It may sounds like Overkill but I would seriously consider a floor plan that lets you have a reclining chair or maybe a recliner couch. Some people will argue that you're supposed to be outside camping what not but you didn't up spending a lot of time inside especially if you're moving around in the weather isn't perfect. Some RV couches and dinettes are terrible to sit on for very long.

I think you can find something in that price range but you may have to shop hard but the more you look at the better you'll be at it. No that you have posted here you are banned from ever coming back and saying you bought water damage. :).  Stay in touch and show us what you are looking at

rbTN said:
sorry, hadn't added anything to my profile....

I'm in middle TN

Next question will be your altitude. :)  From what I just checked, average temps in Tennessee are seldom below freezing even in January. If so, then just about any unit will do.

Yes, you can find a unit in the $5k range (our first one was under that). However, as noted above, don't take anything with even a hint of water damage.  Also, as noted, keep looking till you find the floor plan that suits you.

Avoiding a slide will limit you to older units, but then so will your price ceiling. No slides are an advantage in the cold (less surface area to heat), and in avoiding leaks.  Our first two units had no slides, and they fit our needs (me, wife and pre-teen daughter) quite nicely.  We spent most of our time outside anyway.

Huckleberry said:
Spend only what you can afford to pay in cash, I.e., don't finance anything.
:)) :)) :)) Amen. Ending up upside down is a bummer. I have read many horror stories of people financing a big expensive motorhome only to have some financial disaster occur and then they can't make the payments and they have this big old beast sitting in their driveway and they can't use it because they can't afford to go anywhere.

Take you best guess at what you want, rent a similar unit for a week or two.

You will learn a lot very quickly.

Huckleberry said:
Spend only what you can afford to pay in cash, I.e., don't finance anything.

that's where the price ceiling come in. I don't like to buy anything that goes down in value on time. But its good to remind others reading that it can be VERY tempting to only pay less than $200 per mth for the trailer of your dreams... for the next 12 yrs! :)

**edited for spelling**

rbTN said:
thats where the price ceiling come in. I don't like to but anything that goes down in value on time. But its good to remind others reading that it can be VERY tempting to only pay less than $200 per mth for the trailer of your dreams... for the next 12 yrs! :)
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

RGP said:
Take you best guess at what you want, rent a similar unit for a week or two.

You will learn a lot very quickly.

I actually just thought about this over the weekend. I just need to make the time to do it and set it up. I'm more of an if its here I'll do it, but if it takes effort, like lining up a rental etc it seems to take a back seat to other more obvious things that need attention.

Back
Top Bottom