Fiat or Wrangler - Pros and Cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckB

Ok, I'm completely new to this...

Anyways, I am looking to purchase a MB Sprinter Class C (or at least most are Class C, I think Winnebago has a Class A version) but I need to flat tow something.  Most of the Sprinters I've looked at have 188hp (diesel) and about 300 lb of torque.  I've sort of narrowed it down to either a Fiat 500 (manual as autos aren't towable) and a Jeep Wrangler.  Most of the specs on Sprinter RVs say 5000 lbs is ok, but of course less may be better too.  The Jeep, empty weighs about 3800, the Fiat closer to 2500.  But I think the Wrangler would be more fun.  The Jeep I'm looking at is a two door "soft-top" manual transmission and doesn't have much in the way of options.  So it weighs less than many of the ones out there, although it is still a 1,000 lb (or more) heavier than the Fiat.  I might consider something else too, but I have found a couple of these two used ones that are "reasonably" priced and not located too far away.  The Wrangler is also more expensive. 

Opinions?

To me the Fiat would just be transportation while the Jeep, as you said, would be more fun. There are lots and lots of interesting places the Jeep can take you while the Fiat, not so much.

You can see my vote in my signature. I'd caution that the JK Rubicon may be somewhat heavier than 3, 800. Mine scales at 4, 600 lb (automatic, winch bumper w/winch, 4 in lift and set up to tow). The only reason I see, other than cost, is if your tow limit is 3, 500 rather than 5, 000 lb. Many class C's have that limit.

Ernie

Molaker said:
To me the Fiat would just be transportation while the Jeep, as you said, would be more fun. There are lots and lots of interesting places the Jeep can take you while the Fiat, not so much.

:)) :)) x2

We tow a Fiat 500 Abarth and would agree it is more of a transportation vehicle. But the Abarth is a little race car, so for us, it is very fun to drive. Easy to pull and as you noted a lot less in weight.

Many of the Wranglers run well above 3800 lbs - the range given for 2018 models is 3970-4450.  That should still be ok, though the additional weight and tire drag are going to noticeably impinge of the mpg for a Sprinter-based RV.

I'm a bit curious why your choice came down to two such dissimilar vehicles. There are other 4-down towables under 5000 lbs, including automatics if preferred.  Sedans as well as SUVs.  The Chevy Sonic, Ford Fiesta & Focus, and Jeep Cherokee come readily to mind.. If manual trannies are OK, several more models from Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai and Kia qualify nicely.  Even more choices if you will consider buying used rather than new.

I think it all depends on how you plan to use the TOAD, I too was in a similar position earlier this year, our motorhome has a 5,000 pound towing capacity and at the time neither of our cars were suitable for flat towing, so we were looking at getting a 3rd (well, 4th) car to be towable.    In the debate was solved by a teenager in a Yukon running a red light totalling my wife's car within walking distance of our house on our way home from our anniversary dinner.  As a result we ended up with my wife's new car being adaptable for flat towing (not adapted yet), it is a Jeep Cherokee with the Active Drive 2 flat towable transmission.    While not quiet as off road as a Wrangler, the Cherokee, particularly in the Trailhawk configuration has reasonable off road capability, it also makes a  comfortable daily driver, though my wife ended up with the slightly more luxurious Overland edition though it does tip the scales at almost 4,200 pounds it is heavier than I originally wanted.

A few others that were on my short list for consideration as a vacation only TOAD were a Chevy Spark (manual transmission only) as they are small and cheap, typically under $9,000 for a recent model used car, and weigh about 2,250 pounds. I spent a week driving one as a rental car in New Jersey a few years ago, overall I was impressed with the amount of passenger space, though less impressed with its acceleration, even on flat ground it was 0-60 in eventually (my class A would probably beat it), if you have enough road, though of course this was with an automatic.    Next up by weight was a Mazda Miata at around 2,500 pounds, though officially not flat towable there are base plates available and  many people doing it with no reported issues.  The other contenders were the Fiat 500 and Jeep Wrangler, though as I am sure you know the Wrangler is even heavier than the Cherokee we ended up buying.      For our use the Cherokee will probably work out well as unlike the others listed it has an automatic transmission, and my wife does not like manuals.

Welcome to the Forum!

In my humble opinion, if you want light weight fun transportation, look at a Mazda Miata with a stick shift.  The most fun for the price on the market.  I have a 2001.  Had it for 13 years so far.  Never towed it, but I LOVE driving it!

Personally if someone gave me a fiat I would put a for sale sign on it before I drove it home.  Even an Abarth.

There are plenty of towable vehicles out there.  Chevy Traverse, Mini Cooper (stick), several Fords (even hybrids). 

This is as good a place to start as any : http://www.motorhome.com/top-stories/best-2018-models-for-dinghy-towing/

It is by no means a complete list.

I have had a lot of Jeeps, and love them. A 2 door will be a lot lighter than a four door. One suggestion I would make is that I would consider a hard top. I have had a few rag tops, and while sporty and fun, they are LOUD on the highway. And can be a bit wet inside in the rain. And locking something up inside is pretty much useless.  Just my 2 cents!

Too bad you aren't buying new. The new JL series Jeeps have aluminum doors and hood making them quite a bit lighter. 

Owned a jeep for 4 days and drove another one for 4 days... Frankly I've always wanted a jeep. 

THe problem with Jeeps is not all of them can be easily towed. So make sure you have the proper jeep.

Jeep! it will be more than just a toad. How many RVers do you see pulling a Fiat and of course you know what it stands for; Fix It Again Tony. Just because Jeep stands fo Just Empty Every Pocket that doesnt mean it is for parts, usually that is because we are "fixing" them up with accessories.

Another vote for Jeep Wrangler! We tow a 2014 sport, hardtop and love it. Easy to tow, and the best thing is if we are out and about and do some shopping it fits in the jeep (we removed the back seats).

ChuckB said:
but I have found a couple of these two used ones that are "reasonably" priced and not located too far away.  The Wrangler is also more expensive. 

Opinions?

If money is a concern, don't go with the Wrangler.  It will cost you more up front because they hold their value and the cost of fuel at 15 mpg, will add significantly to your total operating cost over time.  Based on 2 1/2 years of ownership, maybe 10,000 miles a year with $3.50 a gallon for regular gas (California prices), our cost of fuel is about $1100 a year.  Close to double what many compacts will cost.  If money is not a problem, go with the Wrangler.  They're fun, can take you on roads many sedans will not be happy traversing and for the most part, you'll look like your driving a new vehicle for years. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Many of the Wranglers run well above 3800 lbs - the range given for 2018 models is 3970-4450.  That should still be ok, though the additional weight and tire drag are going to noticeably impinge of the mpg for a Sprinter-based RV.

I'm a bit curious why your choice came down to two such dissimilar vehicles. There are other 4-down towables under 5000 lbs, including automatics if preferred.  Sedans as well as SUVs.  The Chevy Sonic, Ford Fiesta & Focus, and Jeep Cherokee come readily to mind.. If manual trannies are OK, several more models from Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai and Kia qualify nicely.  Even more choices if you will consider buying used rather than new.

I'm trying to answer this...hope this works...I'm new at this.  Actually, I think that is a good question.  I read just this week that the two worst cars to buy are the Fiat and Jeep...so I'm showing my lack of skills right up front.  Anyway, I picked these two because I've always read that Wranglers make great Toads and they are of course fun to drive afterwards.  The Fiat, basically because it's light and not as impractical as a "Smart" car.  But I've also considered Ford Fiestas and Focuses, Hyundai Veloceters (sp?), Toyota Yaris, and others.   

Probably the all-time favorite toad is the Honda CRV.  Light, reliable, comfortable and capable.  You see them behind motorhomes everywhere!  CRVs up through 2014 are flat towable with automatic transmission, whether 2WD or 4WD. 

"MB Sprinter Class C" ---  I'd be very hesitant to tow a Jeep Wrangler behind one of these...  it's just too heavy compared to the RV, plus it's kinda top heavy anyway.  At least talk to some Class C owners that are towing Jeep Wranglers before you go this way...  Plus, the $$$ to equip a Wrangler for towing are pricey and you'll likely need some adapters to get the tow bars level, assuming you have a 2" receiver hitch already.  The coach company might strongly recommend some stronger rear shocks for the RV too.  "Tails wags Dog" in a strong cross wind can get tricky.  Maybe you can find someone with a Wrangler that is already set up for towing and try it for a short drive before you make a decision.

I think Fiat stands for Fix It Again Tony.  At least that is what a friend of mine who owned one said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom