Teen plunges to his death at Nevada Fall in Yosemite National Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darsben

Central NY in summer beautiful Casa Grande AZ in w
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-nevada-fall-teen-death-20180906-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fentertainment%2Fnews%2Farts+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+The+Arts%29&utm_content=Yahoo+Search+Results

I apologize in advance for being cynical, but this strikes me as a case of "cleansing the gene pool".  Mother Nature has a rather brutal way of correcting risky behavior.

That's a harsh thing to say aloud. But I can't see how anyone could argue it either.
*Warning: dangerous to fall down waterfalls*

Life is dangerous, I don't see why these stories keep making the news, maybe they want to outlaw gravity.  On the other hand maybe it is the over use of warning signs, so that people now just automatically tune them out, as my Little Giant folding ladder has 10 warning labels on it.

I was pumping gas just mindlessly reading all the warnings and realized it says it's harmful to drink. All I could do is shake my head. Unreal.

We were out in Letchworth State Park in New York's Finger Lakes last year and a father and his two early teenage sons were both walking on a small wall that was about 3' away from a 300'+ cliff. The mother was walking on the sidewalk but laughing and egging them on. We made some comment about that being stupid and the father leaned over and did a fake "oh no, I'm falling" routine. Moron! We just kept walking.

Joezeppy said:
We were out in Letchworth State Park in New York's Finger Lakes last year and a father and his two early teenage sons were both walking on a small wall that was about 3' away from a 300'+ cliff. The mother was walking on the sidewalk but laughing and egging them on. We made some comment about that being stupid and the father leaned over and did a fake "oh no, I'm falling" routine. Moron! We just kept walking.
People die there almost every year.

I wonder how many self absorbed narcissists die every year because of selfies.

How many stupid parents lose kids to their stupidity.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I apologize in advance for being cynical, but this strikes me as a case of "cleansing the gene pool".  Mother Nature has a rather brutal way of correcting risky behavior.

I have to agree. But with a person named Frankfurter from Israel, he must have been all beefed up or this story wouldn't be kosher.

Lol omg I'm dying over here, such a compassionate bunch  :p lol
My 16 year old daughter just got into selfies, I hate it for so many reasons and show her all the harm that comes out of it. She isn't obsessed and only does it when she's with her friends, but I don't want it heading that direction.

Really y'all? This is a human life we're talking about here. A child, a grandchild, someone's best friend was lost. It's not funny, and I don't see where it's something to be joked about. Yeah, the kid didn't make the best decision, but there's no need to make fun of him or his family. How about praying for his family's comfort instead?

We have several deaths per year in Colorado from people climbing places they shouldn?t really be. Last week they found the body of a guy who went missing attempting to climb Longs Peak by himself. The shocking part is that the same guy went missing on an attempt to climb Longs Peak in 2014 - that time they rescued him. Four years later the idiot is demonstrating that he learned nothing from his past mistakes. This time he took a 200 ft fall and it took the rescue folks a week to find him.

Earlier this year they found another lost lone hiker?s body. He fell on an attempted climb of another 14?er in Rocky Mountai?n National Park. Colorado 14?ers are not day hikes that you should be attempting alone, but several times a year someone gets into to trouble trying it. While not in the same class of difficulty, Nevada Falls isn?t exactly the safest climb either. Darwin Award winners all.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

We spent the past two weeks at Yellowstone where we witnessed equivalently stupid behavior, such as walking out onto the prairie within ~100 feet of an entire herd of bison (>50).  Had anything startled the herd, the humans merrily taking photos with their fancy cameras would have been pulverized.  But, despite lots of "wild animals are dangerous" flyers and signs, there's no cure for stupidity.

Most people do crazy stuff when they are young but some dont remember. Like they say, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.  Speaking of eyes my BIL said he and some of his high school friends were camping and horsing around when his friend decided to jump off the hood of an old pick up truck. He slipped and shoved the antenna trough his eye and into his brain and killed him. 

It's not funny, and I don't see where it's something to be joked about. Yeah, the kid didn't make the best decision, but there's no need to make fun of him or his family.

You're right, goat, it's not funny but I don't think we're joking about it.  We're deploring the fact that these deaths keep happening.  At the base of Ayres Rock in Australia there are a bunch of brass plaques commemorating people who have fallen to their deaths there and you know what?  Most of them were teenage boys who never had a chance at life because they weren't careful enough.  Sad for their families, just like the ones here.  We can sympathize but the damage is done sad to say.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom