tree falls on boat, can't match parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richtdu89

Back in May a tree blew over on my boat, crushed the windshield and broke the drivers side console.  Boat is an Alumacraft Trophy Sport 175, Elite Series.  After three months with the insurance company and us looking for aftermarket parts it was determined they aren't available and other year models won't work (different measurements, I am still looking into this) so they wanted to total it.

Long story short I took an agreed value for the damage and brought the boat home to find or retrofit parts.  It is a 2001 model year and in mint condition.  I am sure those of you with boats know the totaled value was unrealistically low.

My question is can anyone help point me in a direction to locate parts or any direction on how to start putting this thing back together? Went to Alumacraft Corporate, a local dealer, and been searching salvage/ebay, etc. with no luck.  Maybe there is another route I am not aware of? 

Thanks for any help.

Rich

I'm assuming the console is fiberglass (?) Is it damaged beyond repair? I've had consoles repaired/changed by a good fiberglass guy, but they can be hard to find.

FWIW I started to do a google search, and a number of "alumacraft boat parts" sites came up. But I didn't research any further. I assume that you &/or your dealer have already been that route.

Any photos you can share?

sorry for the delayed response.  I will get up to the garage this weekend to get some pics to share.  I believe the console where it got crushed is actually a form of plastic and likely not repairable.  Parts broke around the gauges and steering column as well.  Did do quite a bit of googling but most led to ads and shady web pages. 

My goal at this point is to use the measurement of the passenger side windshield as I believe it is the same as drivers side but reversed to calculate or have someone fabricate a new one (or find a newer model type with very close measurements). 

The dealers answer to everything was that the measurements of newer model consoles are really different than older models but I can not understand this entirely as the width/length of the newer boat is the same and although the layout of the console for the electronics etc might be different the console itself should sit in on the framework in a similar fashion.  The walkthrough space between the driver/passenger consoles are basically the same distance so why cant two newer consoles fit on the framing of the broken ones?  Moving wires etc is the easy part.

I might be overthinking it but am having a really hard time grasping the idea that although the layout of the gauges etc look different how the plastic console piece that sits on the console frame can be so different when the dimensions of the boat are the same.

Rich

You may not find OEM, but with a little research and some imagination you may be able to graph some parts that will work. Also a fab shop could build you a window frame something like Northrivers and have a glass guy cut the glass.
As far as the dash goes, you can scrap it and make/have a dash made out of glass, wood, or aluminum, paint to mach. I made my dash on my Skipjack out of Carbon Fiber. The old dash from the factory was teak and needed to be replaced. I know its not what you are looking for but may be your only option. Try this place, its probably the largest OEM parts place in the country, good luck,,,gregg
https://greatlakesskipper.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=search&utm_term=%7BQueryString%7D&msclkid=d6175ca1e19a17645898073d7cb09125

Here's my CF dash I made. Just think about how it can be redone if you come to that point

Attachments

• dash2.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 26
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 21
Rich, did you ever get some pics or the parts you were looking for? I think your best bet would be to rebuild it with fiberglass. Its pretty easy once you make a jig to shape it.

Ended up getting busy with some other projects after parking the boat in the garage and forgot to upload them.  Will get there this weekend and get some pictures to upload, gotta get started on the project soon or it will be another summer of no fishing trips.  Thanks for checking in, will get on this soon.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom