Motorcycle chock for toy hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txtinman

I haven't purchased a toy hauler yet, but I will need a chock to help hold my motorcycle. It is a 2015 BMW R1200GS. It weighs in at about 575 lbs. I've looked at a couple of dozen of these things and don't really know if there are ones that are good for THs and if there are some that are bad news. I'd like to hear what others are using for their bikes.

Mike

I have a Toy Hauler and use it to haul track/race bikes to the track....two of them.  I have the Baxley sport chock system....two of them and have had them since 2007 and used them to haul the bikes.  They are very sturdy and as you roll the bike into the chock, the way it is made it somewhat clamps the front wheel at the back side of the front wheel and then cradles it.  After it is in place, you can actually get off the bike and it will stand up by itself in the Baxley.  Of course you still need to strap it down, but with the bike in the Baxley, the only strapping I do is at the rear of the bike and the tie down straps pulling down and forward....nothing on the front of the bike as far as straps.  I have even hauled an ST1300 several times like this, and that bike weighs well over 700 lbs with side bags and a top box on it.

One thing I will warn you about though, when the Baxleys are installed, you need to bolt them down to the floor to keep them from moving.  And when you do this, make SURE that when drilling through the floor of the Toy Hauler that you are not drilling into anything under the trailer floor.....such as a fuel tank for refilling the toys.

Keep in mind not to over think this too much but consider how you're going to use your "garage" during your trip.  I'm not a fan of bolting a chock down to the floor and for the last fourteen years have used a chock that I simply put tie down straps on to hold in place.  This allows me to pull the chock when I get where I'm going and move it out of the way so I don't trip over the thing while going for another adult beverage (my beer fridge is in the garage).  This last spring I acquired that is linked below and use four straps to tie it in place using the E tracks mounted in my floor.  My jury is still out on this particular chock as it is bigger and bulkier than the simple one that I used before.  The up side for me is that it will hold a Victory Cross Country vertically so it's easier to work on the left side.  In your case you've got a center stand on a Beemer (I think) and therefore you may not need something this bulky.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

We carried a VStar 650 in a side ramp toy hauler for 2 years.  Probably pulled the trailer 10,000 miles.  The interior of the trailer was 7'8" wide.  The bike was almost wall to wall and we did not chalk.  We secured it with the four rings on the floor.  It seemed very secure.  The bike didn't' move once tied in place. 

Foto-n-T said:
Keep in mind not to over think this too much but consider how you're going to use your "garage" during your trip.  I'm not a fan of bolting a chock down to the floor and for the last fourteen years have used a chock that I simply put tie down straps on to hold in place.  This allows me to pull the chock when I get where I'm going and move it out of the way so I don't trip over the thing while going for another adult beverage (my beer fridge is in the garage).  This last spring I acquired that is linked below and use four straps to tie it in place using the E tracks mounted in my floor.  My jury is still out on this particular chock as it is bigger and bulkier than the simple one that I used before.  The up side for me is that it will hold a Victory Cross Country vertically so it's easier to work on the left side.  In your case you've got a center stand on a Beemer (I think) and therefore you may not need something this bulky.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

I really don't want to bolt it to the floor either. I looked at this one, but since I don't have a TH yet I didn't know how to tie it down. Now I have an idea. Thanks.

I did a unique way of mounting the Baxleys down in my Toy Hauler, since I didn't want to go through the floor either.  I bought a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it to the full width of the inside of the garage area.  The "length", from front to back was enough to set the Baxleys on and have a little bit more.  At that particular location in my trailer, there are three floor anchors already in the trailer from the factory.  So, I removed the trim plates from all three of them and cut out three circles in the plywood so that those holes would be exactly over the existing factory tie down points.  Once those holes were made, I set the Baxleys in the exact location that I needed them to be and drilled the plywood, but not the trailer floor.  I flipped the plywood over and put carriage bolts in from the bottom of the plywood and countersunk them flush.  I then flipped the plywood back over and the bolts were now sticking up through the plywood like studs.  I then placed the plywood back in position so that my circles were exactly over the floor tie downs and I reinstalled the tie down trim plates on the plywood instead of on the trailer floor.  I had to use screws that were 3/4" longer, but they went right back into the same holes that were already in the floor from the factory.  So now, if I need or want to take the Baxleys out of the trailer, I simply loosen the nuts and take them off of the studs sticking up through the plywood.  Of course I needed a way to keep from walking on or stubbing my foot on the studs sticking up, so I cut a piece of 2"x4" and drilled it to fit over the studs....one for each set of bolts.  The plywood was painted to match the color of the rubber flooring in the trailer, and I even put 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum angle on the edged of the plywood to give it a more finished look....and to keep it from splintering on the edges.  Here is a pic of the finished job....

https://imgur.com/qyRmYC9

https://imgur.com/vQteEzh

A lot of toy haulers come with "E" Track already mounted to the floor.  If the one you're looking at doesn't have it ask at the parts desk and they can order it.  The advantage to the E track is that you aren't limited to where you can put tie downs, the entire eight foot track is a tie down.  I'd also caution you about over doing it with the E track.  My rig came with two installed and I decided that I needed another one down the center of the garage, I was wrong.  Unless you are carrying multiple bikes just two will do nicely.  I included a link below if you're not familiar with what I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Accessories-Galvanized-Horizontal-Cargo/dp/B01J4KBZ28

Foto-n-T said:
A lot of toy haulers come with "E" Track already mounted to the floor.  If the one you're looking at doesn't have it ask at the parts desk and they can order it.  The advantage to the E track is that you aren't limited to where you can put tie downs, the entire eight foot track is a tie down.  I'd also caution you about over doing it with the E track.  My rig came with two installed and I decided that I needed another one down the center of the garage, I was wrong.  Unless you are carrying multiple bikes just two will do nicely.  I included a link below if you're not familiar with what I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Accessories-Galvanized-Horizontal-Cargo/dp/B01J4KBZ28

I agree, E-track is very handy to use, but I never felt really secure using it unless I anchored it to the floor with bolts all the way through the floor and flat washer and lock washers, and nuts on the bottom side.  I don't trust just screwing it down to the floor with wood screws.  And if you are going to do that, your back to the same issue with drilling through the floor.  And on a Toy Hauler, again, you have to be careful where you drill so that you don't drill into the gas tank for other items mounted under the trailer.

In my motorcycle trailer 14? v-nose I use a pair of Condor PitStop mounts for our 2 bikes (900lbs each).
I fasten them down with forged bed bolts I got at Tractor Supply. These are basically a bolt that is drilled and tapped for an eyebolt that you can remove while leaving the main bolt in place. I use the eye bolt with a washer to fasten down the Condor mount and then use the eye bolts with the front tie down straps.

Lynx0849 said:
In my motorcycle trailer 14? v-nose I use a pair of Condor PitStop mounts for our 2 bikes (900lbs each).
I fasten them down with forged bed bolts I got at Tractor Supply. These are basically a bolt that is drilled and tapped for an eyebolt that you can remove while leaving the main bolt in place. I use the eye bolt with a washer to fasten down the Condor mount and then use the eye bolts with the front tie down straps.
First time I've seen those. I might use them in my utility trailer, but still not sure about bolting through the cargo floor of the TH.

Mike

I always use pingel snap in chocks for both of our Harleys. the mount is flush mounted to the floor and the top pingel snaps out to let you have a level floor to haul anything else if the bikes aren't loaded. all the other side and front mounts are flush mounted d-rings

We trailered bikes down to Daytona Beach a few times.*
The harbor freight chock linked above worked for my Goldwing.  We strapped the chock in place.

*Yes, I also rode down many times, even in the snow.  But the group trips had to stay on schedule so we used a trailer.

Foto-n-T said:

This is what I use for my Goldwing in our TH. Watch for a coupon in several MC magazines for $44. There is a bit too much play in the chocks in frame but easily fixed with $3 worth of 1/2" washers. Get a thick rubber mat from Lowes and put under the chock. It will keep it from sliding as you mount it. I use the eyelets on the chock itself for pulling down the forks, then use the TH tie downs on four corners to keep bike and chock from moving around. Once at camp... I throw this under the camper so I am not tripping over a chock or some mounting rails.

Back
Top Bottom