Bar Harbor to Savannah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

We will be leaving Bar Harbor around October 8th heading down to Savannah, Ga for Thanksgiving with the DW?s family so we are not in a big hurry to get there. We are looking for ideas on where to stop, things to see and good roads to travel on. We like to hike, bike and outdoor activities.  I like to do about 200 miles when we travel, unless it starts to get cold LOL  :D

I would recommend Gettysburg National Park. We spent a few days in a nearby state park and visited Gettysburg a few times to take it all in.  (I would have to go back into our records to give the specific state park we stayed. It was about 15 miles away and very nice.). We did the bike tour at Gettysburg and also biked the park to other parts not covered in the bike tour. There are multiple tour types and opportunities. I would also recommend a visit to the Eisenhower National Historic Site (Home/Farm) near Gettysburg.

By the way, we live in central Maine. We love Acadia NP!  Have done a lot of camping and hiking there!

Hey there, one place we have visited twice is Harper's Ferry National Park.  There is a KOA right in the park with full amenities that even has Civil War Trenches within the campground. 

From there you can make day trips to DC, Winchester, Antietam National Battlefield, ect.

My DW has a sister that lives in Frederick, Md. so we visit her as well.

That will keep you and your rig well west of the DC area and then you can take Rte 17 down to I95 and continue down south.

Take the Garden State Pkwy to the end. Take the ferry to Delaware and then the Bridge/Tunnel to Norfolk. From Norfolk head to the Outer Banks and drive south to the end (two more ferry rides). Then head south along the coast to Myrtle Bch, Charleston and Savannah. Wonderful trip and plenty to do along the way/

BruceinFL said:
Take the Garden State Pkwy to the end. Take the ferry to Delaware and then the Bridge/Tunnel to Norfolk. From Norfolk head to the Outer Banks and drive south to the end (two more ferry rides). Then head south along the coast to Myrtle Bch, Charleston and Savannah. Wonderful trip and plenty to do along the way/

Does the Garden State Parkway allow fifth wheels? I seem to think that it doesn't.

That's a great time to travel.  I live in northern NY on the Vermont border and have noticed fall foliage season is later each year. I'd take RT. 2 west from Bangor through upper Maine into northern NH and VT. Likely very nice leaf peeping and scenic.  Cross Lake Champlain to the Adirondacks and then head south on I81 or rt 15 through PA.  Great tips about Gettysburgh and then on to Blueridge parkway and western Virginia and Ashville region of NC.  No major cities, lots of hiking and biking areas, sounds like fun.  Most State Parks in New England and NY close by Columbus Day so you'll need to search out private campgrounds, but it's also really easy to just pull into forest roads,  boat launches  , ski areas etc. 

That's what I'd do, but its hard to go wrong otherwise.  I just hate the NY City area down to Washington DC and would avoid those areas if possible.

Rene T said:
Does the Garden State Parkway allow fifth wheels? I seem to think that it doesn't.

From the tpke south it is OK. North of the tpke there is a bridge low clearance problem but I did it wi my 5er a few years ago by staying to the high side.

thanks for the ideas- we have some planning to do. we are hoping to see fall color as we travel south, our camper is 13-4 tall so I will have to be careful along the route for low bridges as was pointed out above.

Back
Top Bottom