Loud generators, I don't understand why...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sightseers said:
if you like smooth and quiet ... you should ride one of the new electric motorcycles.

and then,  others think the sound and feel of an engine... are all part of the romance.

They should make an electric generator, quiet, problem solved  :eek: :-\ :'( :p ;D ;D ;D

I did it..... I used these new Quiet type batterys,  charged by a noise resistant glass enclosure of solar cells,  that supplies me A/C power though my near silent power inverter.

;D

Noise pollution is one of the hardest things to ever avoid.

Even when you are in the middle of the wilderness,  you hear those damn jets flying over.  ;D

We were camped in Frisco, CO with no hook ups. The couple across from us had a very loud generator and would start it at 6:30am and run it for a couple of hours. Never understood why they ran it so long so early. If you have to make coffees ok then turn it off til everyone is up. There were tenters camped within 20? feet of his generator. Three days of that and they almost came to blows. Finally the camp host talked to them and they didn?t run that early anymore. He as within his rights because quiet hours ended at 6am.

If you are not used to the sound, a Honda generator is too noisy also.  A few years ago, I camped at a forum event at Quartzite and many of the members had Honda generators.  The Honda generator in the RV next to us kept us awake.  I have a loud 4K generator that I use when boon docking with no one around. I only use it for a bit in the afternoon to recharge the battery. Or if the temperature requires the use of the AC.  But then, Im not offending anyone with the noise but myself.

sightseers said:
Even when you are in the middle of the wilderness,  you hear those damn jets flying over.  ;D

Well then you need to visit the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of northern Minnesota.  Planes are not allowed to overfly it.  Well, bush planes on special permits can.
Very peaceful.

We attend an Old Time Music and Blue Grass music festival every spring.  We park in a  horse pasture along with other MHs, 5th wheels, trailers, tents, ect.  I talk to my neighbors and we all agree that I will run my genset in the AM to make coffee and charge batteries and they are welcome to plug in and do the same.  No problems at all.  In fact they love it.

Many of the older California State (dry) campgrounds have a quiet time rule from 8pm to 10am. 

So unless you want to wait 'till about 10:20 am to get a cup of coffee....

you better have a camp stove coffee percolator.

Cooperhawk said:
Well then you need to visit the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of northern Minnesota.  Planes are not allowed to overfly it.  Well, bush planes on special permits can.
Very peaceful.
One of my favorite places. The only planes are fire spotters and medical evacuations.

In all honesty, when I was a teenager in the late 60?s, the fad was loud mufflers. I had a 57 Chevy and proudly drove thru the subdivision with my long hair, 327 small block with headers, and stereo quadraphonic 8 track tape blasting. When I think back on that, I?m sure I annoyed plenty of our neighbors, but at that time my neighbors opinions were the least of my worries. I wasnt a bad guy, just had different priorities at that time. Now, when I?m in a campground and hear a noisy crowd, I think back on my younger days. I?m happy to see young families introduce their kids and friends to camping, and having fun. Yep, they are noisier than me, but my dogs sometimes bark and those same noisy kids stop by and want to pet my dogs, to the mutual happiness of both. ? Camping is fun, and I am in my 60?s and have have been encouraged with the number of young families I have seen camping. They will figure out the loud generator thing when they get older and crankier. Only my opinion, which isn?t worth much.
                                                                          Boonieman from South Dakota, currently in KY

And you ended up as the 'Boonieman' ;).  Seriously, I think you're preaching to the choir with a lot of RVers.  I drove my brother's 57 Chevy, had long hair and played my music as loud as I could.  I know that I annoyed a few folks in my younger years...and damn those were good times!

Boonieman said:
In all honesty, when I was a teenager in the late 60?s, the fad was loud mufflers. I had a 57 Chevy and proudly drove thru the subdivision with my long hair, 327 small block with headers, and stereo quadraphonic 8 track tape blasting. When I think back on that, I?m sure I annoyed plenty of our neighbors, but at that time my neighbors opinions were the least of my worries.
                                                                          Boonieman from South Dakota, currently in KY

I have been following this thread.

The more I read the more I feel like an Eco Terrorist.

I did buy a terribly noisy cheap generator to give away to anyone that is suffering in the heat without A/C.

I could not help myself...Something in my head just said "Someone needs this generator".

Now hopefully they will use it far away from anybody else and I can sleep without a guilty conscience.

HueyPilotVN said:
I have been following this thread.

The more I read the more I feel like an Eco Terrorist.

I did buy a terribly noisy cheap generator to give away to anyone that is suffering in the heat without A/C.

I could not help myself...Something in my head just said "Someone needs this generator".

Now hopefully they will use it far away from anybody else and I can sleep without a guilty conscience.

No, what's going to happen is you're going to go to bed and lay there and all of a sudden hear a  loud generator running. Lol.

Seriously, that was very nice of you.

LOL Bill. Anyone who has followed your exploits at all knows that your name and "eco terrorist" don't belong in the same sentence.

(But I'm coming to find you if someone who looks down on their luck fires up an apparently new, perfectly maintained open frame Harbor Freight genset next to me.  ;) ;D )

lynnmor said:
There is a certain type of motorcycle used by all ages that the owners remove the mufflers immediately.  Blame excessive noise on complete lack of law enforcement and uncaring campground management.  There will always be nitwits that need controlled.

That would be most Harley riders with their obnoxiously loud exhausts!

When my wife and I used to do motorcycle track days, we had a fellow set up in the paddock space next to us one day.  Of course the entire day is full of  race/trackbike engine noise which is very loud, so at the end of the day, when the track goes cold, peace and quiet are definitely a commodity.  So this guy rolls his generator out of the back of his enclosed trailer and proceeds to set it up as far away from his area as he can, and point the exhaust from it towards our paddock area.  When he starts it up it sounds almost like they've re-opened  The track.  So I walk over and ask him nicely to please move it And turn the exhaust towards his area, not mine.  He said he didn't think it was " that loud" and hey, we're at a racetrack.  After some discussion, I walked over to his generator, moved it to within about 20' of where he was set up and pointed the exhaust towards him......then gave him a long look, basically daring him to move it back to where he originally put it.  He let it run for about 10 minutes then shut it off and walked away.  He was gone about 5 minutes and came back with one of the track officials and I thought....here we go.  But to my surprise the track official unlocked the power box and handed the guy his sticker to show that he had paid for his power.  The guy plugged his stuff in and we never had loud generator problems the rest of the weekend.  I guess he figured he would use his loud a$$ generator instead of paying for electric because the generator would be cheaper to run than buying the power.

H5-Phil said:
Why do some RVers bring obnoxiously loud generators to a crowded campground??  This generator might be fine if you live on lots of acreage with no one around, but it's not welcome in a campground with other campers nearby. 
Not until the campground host and ranger got involved did these folks shut it down.
Bottom line, when you bring something like this to a campground, you're basically saying to everyone around you, I couldn't care less about you and your camping experience.

This can be summed up with one simple word.. "Ignorance"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom