Loud generators, I don't understand why...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xrated said:
If I have to explain it, you probably don't get it anyway.  The Adrenalin rush for me is being able to get around a road course track at a very fast pace. 

I ride for my enjoyment and I really don't care if anyone else sees me, hears me, or turns their head to look when I go by....it's just what I love to do....so your analogy may be correct for some folks, but I'm obviously not one of them....but Thanks for the input.

A few years back, a few buddies and I rode up to Laguna Seca for Super Bike weekend.  Wow what a show. The machines are so fast, and the riders so good, it's like being strapped to a rocket without the strap. To be on one of the corners and see the riders lean into the corners is a huge rush.  A few even leaned too far and went down. The amazing thing is they all got up and walked away.

Xrated......
No way could I have described it any better. I?m sure this thread got highjacked, but hopefully the spirit of the OP prevails.

Rene T said:
I have to ask, why is it you bikers need that super loud exhaust?  Does it give you a adrenalin rush?  I know it's not that loud on the bike, but anyone behind you, it's a killer.
Now as I said when I was 16, I had loud glasspacks on my car but I was just a stupid know it all kid.

Well Rene, looking back on our youth, we were just silly kids making noise to attract attention. We fondly admit that now.

Take a grown man decked out with his typical riding accoutrements - bowl lid helmet over a do-rag, fingerless gloves, leather vest studded with ride pins, and leather chaps over jeans so greasy you could wring them out and pack your bearings...Now try to get him to admit that his straight pipes at a deafening 90 decibels, are purely for the cool show like when we were kids.
Nope... Ain't gonna happen.

So this riding sub-culture (who can't admit they simply like making noise) needs to come up with something plausible to counteract the childish notion of "grown boys with their noise toys"...

Unfortunately, they came up with the myth that "loud pipes save lives"  - an idea that is scientifically ridiculous and unfounded in reality yet continues.

It's not unlike the bicycle sub-culture of road racers who shave their legs under the excuse of, "it makes road rash from a fall heal better" or "it makes me go faster".
Same dynamic - they simply cannot admit that hairy legs detract from the cool look of those bulging quadriceps and soleus muscles they've worked so hard to develop.
Again... scientifically absurd. yet...?.. :eek:

marcortez said:
The common theme is.....loud pipes save lives.
The "other" driver can hear you coming.
Or so the story goes

Yeah, right.  In that case the exhaust pipes should be facing forward so the sound waves are concentrated in the direction you're travelling.  Think that will ever happen?

SargeW said:
A few years back, a few buddies and I rode up to Laguna Seca for Super Bike weekend.  Wow what a show. The machines are so fast, and the riders so good, it's like being strapped to a rocket without the strap. To be on one of the corners and see the riders lean into the corners is a huge rush.  A few even leaned too far and went down. The amazing thing is they all got up and walked away.

Living where I live, I've never been to CA, but I did go to Indy like three years in a row when MotoGP was still running there.  What a rush watching the world's best motorcycle riders on bikes that cost close to a million dollars a bike, weigh about 325 lbs, and make 260-270 HP at the rear wheel.  Lean angles that can be as far over as 60 degrees and engines that spin up to 19,000 RPM (4 stroke motors no less).  Seeing a rider with a knee on the deck and the bike leaned over like that at 140 mph and the rear end sliding sideways through that corner and leaving a blankie as he's doing it......it just doesn't get any better than that if you are into motorcycles.  Glad you enjoyed your trip up there Sarge and hopefully you got to see some action at the famous "corkscrew" section of the track.

Boonieman said:
Xrated......
No way could I have described it any better. I?m sure this thread got highjacked, but hopefully the spirit of the OP prevails.

Thank you, it is and has been my passion for almost a half century!

BinaryBob said:
This made me LOL....
A lot of guys in high school put "cherry bomb" mufflers on their sh*t-box cars so they could what.... ? pretend to have muscle cars? I dunno..

or the 4 inch "fart Cannons" with resonators on hondas, when I was growing up in the 60's we would cut off an old driveshaft and use it for an exhaust tip then remove the muffler or gut it out. The driveshaft had the perfect metal to make it sound right..

Maybe back then we were not so crowded together, the noise just would not be heard by others. Now I prefer the peace and quiet of the factory muffler.

Two of my Harleys have factory exhaust and much prefer it that way, at least I can hear the radio when riding. Oddly enough my Ultra has a higher noise level that my Street Bob. The exhaust on my vette is stock but my best friend has added flowmasters to his vette so when we go somewhere together I much prefer riding in mine...

either getting old or just grew up.

I've had a saying that I've used for quite some time.....

"Growing older is mandatory.....Growing up is optional!  Live life to the fullest every day you can.

xrated said:
I've had a saying that I've used for quite some time.....

"Growing older is mandatory.....Growing up is optional!  Live life to the fullest every day you can.
I been trying to live by this, as well. However, my body seems to be on a different path. :mad:

This thread reminds me of an event from my younger stupider days. My first car was a 67 Cougar XR7 with a 390. I started drag racing with it but I didn't win very many races. So in 1969 I traded it in on 69 Cougar Eliminator with a 428. I started winning races so I started spending more money (speed costs money how fast do you wish to go?). I got a high rise aluminum intake manifold, I steeper cam, I tricked out the Holley, put on slicks when racing, a 4:11 rear end and a set of headers. I used to go down to Long Beach drag strip with to race on Sundays. Several of my friends were my pit crew. I was working 6am to 2pm so I left home very early in the morning. One fine morning my friends decided to pull a trick on me. The disconnected my headers from the exhaust system. So at 5am I started up the car and it sounded like an explosion. Put a brown stain on the seat. :eek:

Willandgiselarv said:
Yep them loud Harleys, except the quieter bikes pass them up easily.
Most of those quieter bikes that pass me up while I am just cruising, I am not in a race, are the most dangerous kinds of bike riders. Sometimes on 1 wheel at well over 100MPH, zig zagging in and out of traffic etc. I am in no hurry while out cruising, not making a big noise commotion.  As far as the loud pipes save lives statement that you can only hear the sound from behind is absurd. I hear these bikes, whether Harleys, crotch rockets or others with the exception of maybe the fully loaded Honda Goldwings engines but with their radio blasting so everyone can here them while I am sitting miles away.

not everyone can afford a Honda generator, so that is what quiet time in the park is for. or you don't remember when you started RVing on a budget. just my two cents.

SeilerBird said:
This thread reminds me of an event from my younger stupider days. My first car was a 67 Cougar XR7 with a 390. I started drag racing with it but I didn't win very many races. So in 1969 I traded it in on 69 Cougar Eliminator with a 428. I started winning races so I started spending more money (speed costs money how fast do you wish to go?). I got a high rise aluminum intake manifold, I steeper cam, I tricked out the Holley, put on slicks when racing, a 4:11 rear end and a set of headers. I used to go down to Long Beach drag strip with to race on Sundays. Several of my friends were my pit crew. I was working 6am to 2pm so I left home very early in the morning. One fine morning my friends decided to pull a trick on me. The disconnected my headers from the exhaust system. So at 5am I started up the car and it sounded like an explosion. Put a brown stain on the seat. :eek:

I remember back in 67, it was street legal to run slicks as long as it had 2 grooves in them all the way around. they were hell in the rain. Like being on ice. All the guys had them. That way whenever we had to race on the highway (we had a 1/4 mile marked off)  we were always ready. I had planned on racing my 67 Chevelle at a local drag strip but Uncle Sam had a different idea in store for me. My now DW was also going to race (called powder puff division) my car but that didn't happen. When I got home from Nam, the family started and the racing stopped.

I ran regular tires on the street and Mickey Thompson racing slicks at the track. Racing slicks were a lot more expensive and wore out quicker. And I think they were illegal on California roads at that time.

SeilerBird said:
And I think they were illegal on California roads at that time.

And they probably caused cancer in CA like everything else. I wonder if after dying and you're embalmed, does that cause cancer???????.  :eek: ::) :-[ :'( ;)

Back
Top Bottom