rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Loud generators, I don't understand why...  (Read 2189 times)

blw2

• ---
Re: Loud generators, I don't understand why...
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »
I'm new to the thread, have been gone a few days...skimming it though, I noticed a lot of discussion of selfishness and such
I think that there' another facet as well.... I think this "issue" is in large part a "hey, look at me" kind of thing.  "Look how much stuff I have aren't you jealous?"
generators and cycles too
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

H5-Phil

• ---
  • Penryn, CA. (foothills of the Sierra)
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »
not everyone can afford a Honda generator, so that is what quiet time in the park is for. or you don't remember when you started RVing on a budget. just my two cents.

Good point, Bob. 
I think most RVers can tolerate loud generators if they are used very sparingly.  When they are left on for hours, that becomes the problem for everyone around them.  Once the ranger was involved, they were restricted to 15 minute at a time.

Now, back to loud mufflers, motorcycles, music, '57 Chevys, and other memories from daze long ago ;)...
Phil & Karen with Crash, our 'guard' Dachshund
KE6HUL / KE6NYJ
2014 F-350 Diesel XLT. with Leer shell
2004 31' Alumascape TT

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2018, 04:31:24 PM »
When I bought my first generator at the big box store,  I was completely ignorant of noise levels, difference in construction of different brands, and even different fuel sources. And I was on a shoe string budget. And I didn't belong to any RV forums back then (1998). Not sure there was any around, and if there was I was way to busy working and taking care of family needs to worry about it. I think that's the story for many newbie RV'ers. Don't be too hard on them.

And as for the other side of the conversation, I had motto as a young kid. "Music is like fast cars. It don't get awesome until you are running wide open".   
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

xrated

• ---
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2018, 06:02:02 PM »
I'm new to the thread, have been gone a few days...skimming it though, I noticed a lot of discussion of selfishness and such
I think that there' another facet as well.... I think this "issue" is in large part a "hey, look at me" kind of thing.  "Look how much stuff I have aren't you jealous?"
generators and cycles too

That may be true about some folks, but you are 100% wrong with that statement about me.....so don't lump everyone together in one big group.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

xrated

• ---
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2018, 06:03:31 PM »
When I bought my first generator at the big box store,  I was completely ignorant of noise levels, difference in construction of different brands, and even different fuel sources. And I was on a shoe string budget. And I didn't belong to any RV forums back then (1998). Not sure there was any around, and if there was I was way to busy working and taking care of family needs to worry about it. I think that's the story for many newbie RV'ers. Don't be too hard on them.

And as for the other side of the conversation, I had motto as a young kid. "Music is like fast cars AND Motorcycles. It don't get awesome until you are running wide open".

Fixed that for ya.......you're welcome!     ;D

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
I discovered way back when I was a mid teen that it was a lot cheaper to go very fast on a motorcycle vs. a car.  I bought a lightly used '72 Kawasaki 750 H2.  Three cylinder, two stroke, also known as the world's fastest production motorcycle at that time.  The summer of 1974 was spent at two different drag strips...one on Wed. Night and the other on Sat night.  The bike was stock with the exception of a set of Wirges brand expansion chambers (full race exhaust) and a carb rejetting to richen it back up.  I broke into the high 11 second times....11.89 in the 1/4 mile and low 6 seconds though the 1/8 mile at 95 mph.  At the end of the 1/8th mile, the front wheel would pull up just enough to turn the timing light off with the rear tire....front was up in the air a bit.  That was damn fast for a motorcycle back then....now days, not so much.  Lots of trophies and some cash, and the most fun summer I ever had on two wheels
I scared myself silly on one of those, it cured me of going fast on a motorcycle.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2018, 07:03:47 PM »
I scared myself silly on one of those, it cured me of going fast on a motorcycle.

The fastest I've ever been on a motorcycle was about 11-12 years ago when I had my CBR1000RR.  I saw 186 on the speedo (that's as high as it would read), and I still had about 400-500 rpm left on the tack before the rev limiter....so I'm guessing maybe 188 or so.  The fastest I've been legally, on a racetrack where there are no speed limits of course was 175 down the back straight at Road Atlanta....and the bike was silky smooth.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2018, 07:16:41 PM »
Not sure if I can do this, but I'll try.  If it works, turn up the volume and enjoy the "music"!

https://www.facebook.com/MotoGP/videos/1891846201123679/?t=110

This is the start of the MotoGP race at Misano last Sunday.....the best of the best!   :D  Misano isn't one of the fastest tracks on the 19 race MotoGP circuit, but still saw top speeds in the 195 range on the Ducatis.  I forget which track(s) they run where you will see 217-218 mph on the straight.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:21:46 PM by xrated »

Huckleberry

• ---
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
Why do some RVers bring obnoxiously loud generators to a crowded campground??
This is one reason we don't camp in developed campgrounds.
It's not just generators, some jerks think everybody at the campground
wants to hear their crappy music and listen to their dogs bark.
I could stay home for that.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2018, 11:23:31 PM »
Fixed that for ya.......you're welcome!     ;D

I stand corrected, thanks!  But I do have to admit that even my Harley, no where near a superbike, could scare me when I opened it up. That's just a lot of hp and not a whole lot of weight.  That's why the guys that ride superbikes just impress the heck out of me.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

blw2

• ---
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2018, 11:08:13 AM »

I think most RVers can tolerate loud generators if they are used very sparingly. 

agreed
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2018, 09:02:30 PM »
This summer a neighbor ran his Wal Mart special open frame generator all day to power his outdoor fridge. While not overly noisy at our site, he placed it well back on the other side of his unit, it still spoiled the peace and quiet we were seeking. I am a retired small engine mechanic, I LIKE peace and quiet. And the next kid that rips through the cg on his 125 motocross is in for a rude surprise. >:(

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2018, 01:47:32 PM »
That's just ONE of the reasons I like my Goldwing. Can't even hear it running going down the road, pretty much just wind blowing by.  :D

:))
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »
I discovered way back when I was a mid teen that it was a lot cheaper to go very fast on a motorcycle vs. a car.  I bought a lightly used '72 Kawasaki 750 H2.  Three cylinder, two stroke, also known as the world's fastest production motorcycle at that time.  The summer of 1974 was spent at two different drag strips...one on Wed. Night and the other on Sat night.  The bike was stock with the exception of a set of Wirges brand expansion chambers (full race exhaust) and a carb rejetting to richen it back up.  I broke into the high 11 second times....11.89 in the 1/4 mile and low 6 seconds though the 1/8 mile at 95 mph.  At the end of the 1/8th mile, the front wheel would pull up just enough to turn the timing light off with the rear tire....front was up in the air a bit.  That was damn fast for a motorcycle back then....now days, not so much.  Lots of trophies and some cash, and the most fun summer I ever had on two wheels
How many center pistons did that H2 eat? All the guys I know that had them had trouble with them eating pistons. My buddy had a 72 that was setup for drag racing Heads milled, ported, and piped. He had an extended swing arm and wheelie bars with a huge fat slick on it. Couldn't keep pistons in the thing. He also had a 75 H2 that he rode on the street. I had hopped up snowmobiles for years, and those 2 strokes were fast but very unreliable when ya had them on the ragged edge where they ran the best.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

xrated

• ---
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »
How many center pistons did that H2 eat? All the guys I know that had them had trouble with them eating pistons. My buddy had a 72 that was setup for drag racing Heads milled, ported, and piped. He had an extended swing arm and wheelie bars with a huge fat slick on it. Couldn't keep pistons in the thing. He also had a 75 H2 that he rode on the street. I had hopped up snowmobiles for years, and those 2 strokes were fast but very unreliable when ya had them on the ragged edge where they ran the best.

I seized the center piston once, but caught the clutch quick enough that all I had to do was let it cool off for about 15 minutes and I started it up and rode it home.  It seized up at 120 mph and me leaned over going around a long radius sweeping corner.  I took the head off and pulled the cylinder and honed it, put it back together and rode it for another six months or so.  The second time it seized up, the piston cracked and scarred the cylinder up, so I took it apart and had all three cylinders bored for .020 over....the firs oversized OEM piston.  A big part of the problem with why they seized up was that cylinder was directly inline  behind the front tire/fender and didn't get the air flow it needed to stay cool enough.  You could adjust the oil pump to flow a bit more oil, but then if you didn't run it hard, it would eventually foul the plugs from having too much oil in the mixture.....and it would smoke even more than it normally did.  Definitely a "finicky" bike in that regard....but Damn, they were fast.