Anyone with a 6 1/2' bed and using a Andersen hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Looking for comments from someone with a  6 1/2' bed.

I've been taking another hard look at getting the Ultimate Andersen hitch but I have an issue.

I currently use a Reese 20K sliding hitch. (HEAVY). I have the bed rails installed. When they installed the bed rails, they positioned them so that with the trailer connected, the king pin is pretty much directly over the rear axle. The instructions also state to install the rails so that the kingpin is over the axle or a little in front of it. The guy who put mine in located them as far back as he could, and still be right over the axle, to give me as much clearance as possible between the trailer and cab when making a sharp turn.

Here's my issue. The ball on the Andersen hitch is offset by about 5" from the centerline of it's framework.  If I install the hitch so that the ball is towards the front, the odds are, the trailer would hit the cab on a sharp turn.

If I install the hitch so that the ball is towards the rear, all of the weight would be aft of the axle by 5" and I'm afraid of possible steering issues especially if I get into rain ice or snow.
Now I know I can rotate the kingpin adapter so the ball socket would be towards the rear but the weight of the trailer would still be on the ball which would be 5" behind the axle.

Now if they manufactured a hitch with the ball centered in it's framework, It would work perfectly. All the weight would be over the axle. I plan on calling Andersen soon and ask them if they do make a hitch with the ball centered.

Any comments. 

I do not have a reg box, nor the rail mount version.  However, allow me to offer a couple thoughts.  First, the coupler mounted on the FW king pin can be mounted fore or aft, making about a 6" or 7" difference. 

Second, the prices you find on line are not the real sale price.  My local RV dealer said that is lowest price you may ADVERTISE.  He sold me the hitch for about 10% off list.  He had them in stock.  Visit a RV dealer and ask to test fit the hitch in your truck.  That may answer many questions.

Also, current offerings are an ALUMINUM GOOSENECK mount (4 styles) or a (material not identified, steel??) RAIL mount hitch.  Both weigh 40#.

grashley said:
I do not have a reg box, nor the rail mount version.  However, allow me to offer a couple thoughts.  First, the coupler mounted on the FW king pin can be mounted fore or aft, making about a 6" or 7" difference. 

Second, the prices you find on line are not the real sale price.  My local RV dealer said that is lowest price you may ADVERTISE.  He sold me the hitch for about 10% off list.  He had them in stock.  Visit a RV dealer and ask to test fit the hitch in your truck.  That may answer many questions.

I know that the coupler can be rotated but no matter which way it's installed, all the weight will still be on the ball and if the ball is 5" aft of the axle, as it would be in my case, that could create a steering issue.
Or if the ball is 5" in front of the axle, the trailer would probably hit the cab.
Thanks anyway Gordon. According to their website, there may be a dealer close by in the next town. I'm going to give him a call also. 

I have been looking into this hitch too and I have a 6.5' bed but I was under the impression that it could ONLY be installed with the ball aft and it wasn't reversible.  I guess I could be wrong but that's not what I've read, the only thing that can be reversed is the coupler for more rail clearance.

The design of the hitch spreads the weight evenly so it isn't concentrated too far aft. 

brclark82 said:
I have been looking into this hitch too and I have a 6.5' bed but I was under the impression that it could ONLY be installed with the ball aft and it wasn't reversible.  I guess I could be wrong but that's not what I've read, the only thing that can be reversed is the coupler for more rail clearance.

The design of the hitch spreads the weight evenly so it isn't concentrated too far aft.

I'm looking at model 3200 with the bed rails already installed. This is what's on their website:

For standard and long bed trucks, the
base should be installed with the ball
closer to the cab of the truck. However, if
you find that you need more clearance,
you can install the base with the ball closer
to the tailgate.

The gooseneck model requires the ball to face the tailgate.
Yes it does spread the weight but wherever the ball is located, that's where the weight of the trailer will be concentrated. That's my main issue.

I have one and a 6.5 box and I have mine turned forward in the bed and the block on the pin is extended for the pin to be farther from the front. I have no problem parking my 5vr in my driveway with lots of clearance. my 5vr has the turn tech front cap for more turning radius as well. 

barr0208 said:
I have one and a 6.5 box and I have mine turned forward in the bed and the block on the pin is extended for the pin to be farther from the front. I have no problem parking my 5vr in my driveway with lots of clearance. my 5vr has the turn tech front cap for more turning radius as well.

That's very interesting and informative. Thanks.

Can you do something for me and others? Can you try to take a measurement of the ball relative to the rear axle. In other words, how far is the ball forward of the axle.

Also, have you looked, while taking a sharp turn, how much clearance you have between the underside of the pin box and the truck side rail when making a sharp turn? Because the block being installed the way you have it, would put the tapered bottom side of the pin box closer to the truck side rails.

This link has a picture showing the side view of the hitch mounted in the bed. See how far aft the ball is relative to the center of the wheel wells. That's my concern, that the weight would be so far aft that the steering could be affected.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Andersen/AM3200.html

I doubt you have a problem with the weight five inches back of the axle. The lightening effect at the front bumper will be equal to the pin load times 5 / divided by wheel base. For example with a 3, 000 lb pin load it would be about:

3000 ? (5 / 200), 200 is the aasumed wheel base, or  0.025 ? 3, 000 = 75 lbs lighter a the front end. You likely will have  more than the example, but less than 100 lb. effect. Given a usual load on the front axle, that is trivial.

A larger concern is that you are likely over the rated pin load, but you know that.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
I doubt you have a problem with the weight five inches back of the axle. The lightening effect at the front bumper will be equal to the pin load times 5 / divided by wheel base. For example with a 3, 000 lb pin load it would be about:

3000 ? (5 / 200), 200 is the aasumed wheel base, or  0.025 ? 3, 000 = 75 lbs lighter a the front end. You likely will have  more than the example, but less than 100 lb. effect. Given a usual load on the front axle, that is trivial.

A larger concern is that you are likely over the rated pin load, but you know that.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. I'm not going to question your numbers because I don't have a clue and you are probably right.  Thanks again.

I do not know where Ernie got his numbers either, but College Physics was too long ago to argue.  However, as I tried to analyze force vectors in my mind, looking at the location of the Andersen frame in the bed, that load is clearly dispersed over that area, but still with a bit more behind the axle.  With that SMALL distance behind the axle, I do not believe it would be an issue.  No real life experience, though.

Now I got it, Ernie!

Pin wt X  (distance behind axle / wheelbase)

The effect on the front end is the ratio of the distance behind the axle to the wheelbase, times the load!

You have a lever.  The ratio of the weight on one end to the fulcrum (rear axle) divided by the weight on the other end to the fulcrum equals the ratio to balance the load.

grashley said:
Now I got it, Ernie!

Pin wt X  (distance behind axle / wheelbase)

The effect on the front end is the ratio of the distance behind the axle to the wheelbase, times the load!

You have a lever.  The ratio of the weight on one end to the fulcrum (rear axle) divided by the weight on the other end to the fulcrum equals the ratio to balance the load.

Ya right.  :( :eek: ::) :-\ That's what I was thinking too.

If you take a 21 foot plank and place a short saw horse under the board 5 ft from one end, then place a 100 lb weight on the 5 ft end, a 5 lb weight on the other end will balance the board. 5 ? lb on the long end will easily lift the 100 lb weight.  Basic lever calculations.

I believe your wheelbase is about 150 inches.  Using the same principle as above, a 155 inch board with the fulcrum 5 inches from one end, the ratio is 5 / 150 = 1 / 30.
If you place 3000 lbs on the short end of the board, then 100 lbs on the long end of the board balances the load, or it will lighten the other end of the board by 100 lbs.

grashley said:
If you take a 21 foot plank and place a short saw horse under the board 5 ft from one end, then place a 100 lb weight on the 5 ft end, a 5 lb weight on the other end will balance the board. 5 ? lb on the long end will easily lift the 100 lb weight.  Basic lever calculations.

I believe your wheelbase is about 150 inches.  Using the same principle as above, a 155 inch board with the fulcrum 5 inches from one end, the ratio is 5 / 150 = 1 / 30.
If you place 3000 lbs on the short end of the board, then 100 lbs on the long end of the board balances the load, or it will lighten the other end of the board by 100 lbs.

Thanks Gordon. I see that now. I have decided to get the Andersen but I want to sell my Reese 20K sliding hitch first. It's like new and always kept out of the weather unless towing. I'm asking $850.00 now but willing to go down a little. New, they go for over $1200.00.  If I don't sell it, I don't get the Andersen.
I have it on Craig's list now in NH. If it doesn't sell in the next 3 weeks, I'll wait till I get to FL and try to sell it there. 

ran into a guy yesterday at our shop with a gm Topkick totally redone and an awesome rig - had a anderson hitch - so i asked him how he liked it? said hated it wanna buy it? if i see him again i will see what he wants for it maybe you can get it cheap. or do a swap he wanted a traditional 5th wheel hitch again.

steveblonde said:
ran into a guy yesterday at our shop with a gm Topkick totally redone and an awesome rig - had a anderson hitch - so i asked him how he liked it? said hated it wanna buy it? if i see him again i will see what he wants for it maybe you can get it cheap. or do a swap he wanted a traditional 5th wheel hitch again.

That would work for me as long as he's not 2500 miles away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom