newcomer to the site and have a question for some possible help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

southwind eagle

HELLO EVERYONE !! My name is Don and I am new to the RV scene. My wife and I are retiring and we purchased a Southwind 33L eagle to restore and retire in. We are well on the way with the refurbish. we live in northern BC Canada in Prince George. Here we get very cold winters up to -40 sometimes.The Class A motorhome we purchased has the winter package consisting on insulated walls,roof and insulated ductwork in the basement portion as well. My question to all of you is I am trying to decide to heat or not heat it for the winter and cover or not cover it. it will be in our driveway. I have full shorepower and it will be winterized. Anyone out there with suggestions would be great. Thanks !!

RVs and winter do not belong in the same sentence. Even the ones with winter packages are not going to do well in winter, especially Canada. Adding a ton of insulation does not help very much. Most of the cold coming in and heart leaking out is due to the windows and the penetration of the shell by pipes and wires. I would heat it and cover it if I were you.

darsben said:
Do not heat, cover if possible
-40 c or f is to cold for any motor home winter package your furnace will run forever and your electric bill will sky rocket
He is correct. When I said I would heat it I should have been more specific. I would run a small electric heater on it's warmest setting.

Winterize the rv around mid to late October. This means draining all the water, and adding antifreeze to all lines and drains. If you plan on traveling south for the winter, dont add any water in until you a well south of any freezing threat. These rvs are not made for living in come winter. It can be done, but you would have to skirt in the underside and heat it all winter. You would need extra heaters, and dehumidifiers to get rid of all the moisture that will build up inside. You will have to shovel the roof off constantly, as any snow on the roof will melt and refreeze into ice.I live in Ontario, where the weather is similar to yours. I winterize the rv, then pay to have it stored indoors in an unheated barn. This way I dont have to shovel off the snow constantly, and worry about possible leaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom