MICE: How high can those little buggers jump??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Some discussion with friends recently as to how high your average-- non-Olympian-- mouse can jump to gain access to your RV? Probably varies by species?? Obviously typically that nasty little creatures plan their routes around tires, levelers, etc. but...

I don't think they need to jump. They just stroll up anything that lays on the ground. Your electric cord, sewer or water hose. Or even right up the side of a tire or leveling jack.  I just had one get in a few days ago. A good old fashion mouse trap and a little peanut butter took care of him.

But if they need to! I remember capturing one in an old camp. We put the tiny dude in a quart milk bottle to secure him. He cleared the top by at least four inches as he made his escape.

Ernie

SargeW said:
I don't think they need to jump. They just stroll up anything that lays on the ground. Your electric cord, sewer or water hose. Or even right up the side of a tire or leveling jack.  I just had one get in a few days ago. A good old fashion mouse trap and a little peanut butter took care of him.

Yeah, there's many easier routes for them to gain access for sure but just curious for general info how high they can jump.

Traps + peanut butter: My ongoing first line of defense here as well!

I used the Bucket trap trick but didn't put quite enough water in the bottom. Mr. Mouse couldn't jump out but it wasn't deep enough to drown him so all night we heard "splash splash splash" until I got kicked out of bed to solve the problem.

A mouse can jump 6 ft vertically so ive been told i know i find them on the bbq till i turn the heat on - then they scamper

I'm comvinced they twitch their noses or blink and nod and then magically appear where ever they darn well choose. Ugh, I'm soooooooo not a fan!

steveblonde said:
A mouse can jump 6 ft vertically so ive been told ...

WHOA-- *six* feet?!?  :eek:  ::)

I think perhaps there's some pretty shaky physics theory behind that supposition.  ;D

jymbee said:
WHOA-- *six* feet?!?  :eek:  ::)

I think perhaps there's some pretty shaky physics theory behind that supposition.  ;D

https://www.ask.com/youtube?q=how+high+can+mice+jump&v=luU5gsCgyog

he most interesting characteristic of the meadow jumping mouse is its saltatorial powers. Quimby states that there is large disagreement, dating back to 1899, as to how high the jumping mouse can actually jump. In 1899 Preble documented that the meadow jumping mouse can jump six to eight feet when disturbed, and in some instances it may be able to jump further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_jumping_mouse

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom