Hercules Tires ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIG JOE

The 3+ year old OEM Westlake FW tires: left front tread separated completely.. and went rolling to the ditch, all at once. Took out the plastic Skirt, no other damage. Tire body.. never went flat. All four PSI checked the day before the trip. 'nuf said.

Replaced all four with Hercules 901.. 225/75/15, all steel 12 ply Trailer (specific) tires. Balanced and High Press. valve stems installed.

Any comments on Hercules Tires ??

Because buyer's remorse has set in.

BTW, my wife says if you look up buyers remorse in the dictionary, it will show my picture. I'm not sure I've ever bought something that I didn't regret later, at least to some degree. Even things I like and enjoy, I often second guess my decision.

xrated said:
You've already bought them and had them installed.....why ask now?

Thank you for the Kind, Informative Response(s). I did my research, know others with these tires.. but just thought I'd ask "the friendliest (RV) place on the web".

:(

The larger question, Joe, is whether those tires have enough load capacity (max carrying weight) for your trailer axles. RV manufacturers typically equip the trailer with the minimum rated tire to hold down costs, and the net effect of that is your tire is always operating at its outer limit. Further, even a small loss of pressure or change in ambient can take the tire from "sufficient" to "slight under-inflated" and that can quickly lead to premature failure or excessive wear.

When replacing trailer tires, it is wise to check the axle max load ratings (and if possible, the actual scaled weight on the axles) and buy tires that exceed that somewhat. This gives the tire some safety margin and usually extends the working life appreciable.

BIG JOE said:
Thank you for the Kind, Informative Response(s). I did my research, know others with these tires.. but just thought I'd ask "the friendliest (RV) place on the web".

:(

Because it's a question that is usually asked before someone buys something, not after....that's all, just curious

:))Thank you Gary.. I probably should have worded this Post differently. I was just looking for comments from  those that might have some long term use comments with Hercules >Brand< tires..  as this is my first time using this brand.

OBTW.. I've weighed our FW on a Cat Scale. the axle weights came in @ 10,960 lbs. (loaded for a normal RV trip with all of our "Gear" on-board), or.. 5480 per axle= 2750 lbs per wheel. Using the Hercules load/psi chart.. I'm running 85 psi per tire, cold.. to start with.. watching the TPMS, and will adjust accordingly.

But again.. Thank You very much for your.. As Usual.. informative response.  :) ;)

You have a Load Range F tire, unusual for a 15"  but what you need for that much load.  Sounds like you have done your homework well!

I've not seen many negative reports on Hercules here or other RV sites. It's one of the more economical brands, but seems to be decent quality and performance.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You have a Load Range F tire, unusual for a 15"  but what you need for that much load.  Sounds like you have done your homework well!

I've not seen many negative reports on Hercules here or other RV sites. It's one of the more economical brands, but seems to be decent quality and performance.

Yes, the  scarcity of a 12 ply, load range F, for a 15" wheel size was a driver in the purchase of the Hercules brand... and also why I was looking for some Feedback from the RV Forum arena.

Your comment on the RV industry equipping their products with minimally weight capable tires is well taken, and Totally Agreed Upon too. (I went through the "GoodYear Marathon" debacle) And, I didn't want to buy 4 new 16" wheels.. if I didn't have to ??

I probably should have worded this Post differently. I was just looking for comments from  those that might have some long term use comments with Hercules >Brand< tires..  as this is my first time using this brand.
No need for rewording. JMO but most folks understood your straight forward question.
I've been towing trailers since the late 50s and Hercules is a old tire name sold mostly in farm and ranch stores and small town dealers. I've used them many years ago on my commercial and non commercial trailers.
However I don't know anything about the name today and yes I see their still sold at some of these type facilities out here in rural areas.

The Hercules ST and LT H-901 16" load J and G  are popular on rv websites but mostly on haulers forums. I would keep them pumped to max sidewall pressures like the experts recommend for trailers. They will run cooler and last longer.

BIG JOE said:
:) )Thank you Gary.. I probably should have worded this Post differently. I was just looking for comments from  those that might have some long term use comments with Hercules >Brand< tires..  as this is my first time using this brand.

OBTW.. I've weighed our FW on a Cat Scale. the axle weights came in @ 10,960 lbs. (loaded for a normal RV trip with all of our "Gear" on-board), or.. 5480 per axle= 2750 lbs per wheel. Using the Hercules load/psi chart.. I'm running 85 psi per tire, cold.. to start with.. watching the TPMS, and will adjust accordingly.

But again.. Thank You very much for your.. As Usual.. informative response.  :) ;)

I have no experience with that brand, but my experience over the last 20 years is that one is usually better with more pressure than less (up to but not exceeding maximum rated). Our new to us arctic fox came with new heavy-duty tires, but they were blown up to 70 PSI. When I kept them at that pressure, it took the outer edges off all four tires. I run the maximum 90 PSI on the current set.

Hercules H-901 ST Commercial Specialty Trailer | All-Steel

It?s one of the very few all steel 15? tires offered. More to come I?m? sure. The RV trailer tire industry is very responsive to the needs of the trailer manufacturers for new load capacity requirements in all tire sizes.

Here is their ad.

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/H-901%20ST

FastEagle said:
Hercules H-901 ST Commercial Specialty Trailer | All-Steel

It?s one of the very few all steel 15? tires offered. More to come I?m? sure. The RV trailer tire industry is very responsive to the needs of the trailer manufacturers for new load capacity requirements in all tire sizes.

Here is their ad.

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/H-901%20ST

:))

Frank B said:
I have no experience with that brand, but my experience over the last 20 years is that one is usually better with more pressure than less (up to but not exceeding maximum rated). Our new to us arctic fox came with new heavy-duty tires, but they were blown up to 70 PSI. When I kept them at that pressure, it took the outer edges off all four tires. I run the maximum 90 PSI on the current set.

95 psi cold is max on these H-901's, so as, stated earlier.. I'm going to start with 85 psi, and note the TPMS warmed-up psi and temps. In my thinking.. the 95 psi Cold.. could lead to and Over Inflation= Tread Separation issue... When the tires (air) warm up, and psi's increase ?

These 901's have a more Open tread design, and may run cooler. It's going to be a Learning Thing... 'til I find the "Sweet Spot".. based on the known, specific to this FW.. axle weights. 

BIG JOE said:
95 psi cold is max on these H-901's, so as, stated earlier.. I'm going to start with 85 psi, and note the TPMS warmed-up psi and temps. In my thinking.. the 95 psi Cold.. could lead to and Over Inflation= Tread Separation issue... When the tires (air) warm up, and psi's increase ?

These 901's have a more Open tread design, and may run cooler. It's going to be a Learning Thing... 'til I find the "Sweet Spot".. based on the known, specific to this FW.. axle weights.

There is a well established tire industry standard for inflating replacement tires that are not applicable with the load inflation chart for the Original Equipment tires. It goes like this, my wording, each tire manufacturer changes it a little bit but it all boils down to this;  Replacement tires must provide, at the very minimum, the load capacity the OE tires provided at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressures described on the vehicle tire placard.

Steel cased tires have a unique sidewall failure trait, ZIPPER RUPTURE. If you're not familiar with it, here is a reference about it.

https://techtirerepairs.com/content/images/Identify-Zipper-Ruptures.pdf

FastEagle said:
There is a well established tire industry standard for inflating replacement tires that are not applicable with the load inflation chart for the Original Equipment tires. It goes like this, my wording, each tire manufacturer changes it a little bit but it all boils down to this;  Replacement tires must provide, at the very minimum, the load capacity the OE tires provided at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressures described on the vehicle tire placard.

Steel cased tires have a unique sidewall failure trait, ZIPPER RUPTURE. If you're not familiar with it, here is a reference about it.

https://techtirerepairs.com/content/images/Identify-Zipper-Ruptures.pdf

You lost me. Is My thinking correct ?? Or are you saying to run 80psi.. per the OEM placard ??

BIG JOE said:
You lost me. Is My thinking correct ?? Or are you saying to run 80psi.. per the OEM placard ??

How much load capacity did the 80 PSI for the OE tires provide?

The replacement tires need to be inflated to a PSI value that provides what the OE tires were providing at 80 PSI.

Once you determine what PSI is needed to equal what the OE tires were providing, add another 5 PSI for reserves. The 5 PSI is just a ballpark figure. Tire experts will, in all probability, recommend using the full sidewall pressures for RV trailer usage. 

>Tire experts will, in all probability, recommend using the full sidewall pressures for RV trailer usage.  <

Which is what I have found to be most effective. I have yet to see trailer tires wear out in the center, which is often a sign of over-inflation.

Frank B said:
>Tire experts will, in all probability, recommend using the full sidewall pressures for RV trailer usage.  <

Which is what I have found to be most effective. I have yet to see trailer tires wear out in the center, which is often a sign of over-inflation.
FastEagle said:
How much load capacity did the 80 PSI for the OE tires provide?

The replacement tires need to be inflated to a PSI value that provides what the OE tires were providing at 80 PSI.

Once you determine what PSI is needed to equal what the OE tires were providing, add another 5 PSI for reserves. The 5 PSI is just a ballpark figure. Tire experts will, in all probability, recommend using the full sidewall pressures for RV trailer usage.

Okay.. called Hercules Tire, Tech Support. Gave them a Loaded Weight of 10,800 lbs, for our 2 axle FW. They did their math and came up
with 74 psi per tire for the H-901, F rated, 12 ply, 225 X 75 X 15, but recommended I run 80 psi cold.

These tires have a Max Load Cap. of 3200 lbs @ 95 psi. I'm going to leave them @ 85 psi... to start with.. and monitor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom