Need help with flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1anjl

I?m getting ready to install some Shaw luxury vinyl planks in my TT. the previous owner had used an adhesive to glue down some peel and stick planks. Most of those were removed by the dealer, so when I purchased the TT I inherited a sticky mess. My feel literally stuck to the floor when walking in there in a hot day. I have scraped up a lot of the adhesive, but really there is an easy way to get rid of it all. Shaw warns against using a solvent because the residue could discolor the new planks.
My concern is that when it gets hot outside, the glue will become tacky again. Since this is a floating floor, I?d like it to remain floating so that it doesn?t fail.
I?m thinking I have 2 options:
1) purchase and install 1/4 in sheets of underlayment. Not the soft kind, these are 1/4? 4x8 sheets of a hard substance (I don?t know the name). They run about $13 a sheet which could get a bit spendy but it will also give me a clean flat surface.
The other option is to lay down a layer of construction paper. I bought a roll a while ago thinking I would temporarily put it down to prevent sticking when I walked, then realized I would have to scrape it all up again so never used it.

Have any of you used the 1/4 inch underlayment sheets with the interlocking vinyl planks?
What would you all do? I?m not new to installing floors, just new to installing them in an RV where the floor is not as solid as a stick built house :)
Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated :)

Angel- go to Home Depot in the paint aisle and buy a cylinder of Durhams rock hard water putty. This is a powder. Start at the far end of your trailer and sprinkle that on the sticky floor. Use a broom to sweep all that around covering all the sticky areas. Go back and vacuum all those areas and your sticky floors will be a thing of the past. Trust me- this 8 dollar can will end your woes.

if you use this as a dry powder  it will neutralize the sticky. If you want to mix it with water like pancake batter, you will have to trowel it on the floor.

I went to 2 different Home Depot?s and also to Lowe?s. No luck on the water putty. They said they have never heard of it :(. In the interest of just getting these floors done (so I can move in) o went ahead and bought the 1/4 underlayment. Means more work for me now, cutting and measuring and lifting those panels into place but at least this way hopefully the flooring won?t fail later. Wish me luck! I?m now cutting 8x4  sheets under a tarp tent in the rain. Ugh! What happened to summer?

1anjl said:
I went to 2 different Home Depot?s and also to Lowe?s. No luck on the water putty. They said they have never heard of it :(.
Some great people working there:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Durham-s-Rock-Hard-DU-1-1-lb-Water-Putty-1-CAN/100184116

SeilerBird said:
Some great people working there:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Durham-s-Rock-Hard-DU-1-1-lb-Water-Putty-1-CAN/100184116

According to their website it?s only in stock in the stores on east side of state :( At least its available here. I was starting to think it was one of those items banned in the state. Lol. I literally spent about 6 hours driving all over yesterday trying to find it. Grrr

1anjl said:
According to their website it?s only in stock in the stores on east side of state :( At least its available here. I was starting to think it was one of those items banned in the state. Lol. I literally spent about 6 hours driving all over yesterday trying to find it. Grrr
I am amazed they did not try and look it up in a catalog so they could order it. Amazon would have shipped it immediately.

https://www.amazon.com/Durham-Rock-Hard-Water-Putty/dp/B00U7VRT7Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536773331&sr=8-3&keywords=water+putty

Ya I?m not happy with my local (40 miles away) Lowe?s and Home Depot. Home Depot was a bit more helpful. Lowe?s was well....I won?t even bother going back there again LOL. They had nothing on my list in stock! Seem to have really gone down hill on their customer service and stock options :(

what would be wrong with laying the 1/8" padding right over the sticky stuff and then lay your floating floor? You most likely are not going to re due the floor again

Deano2002 said:
what would be wrong with laying the 1/8" padding right over the sticky stuff and then lay your floating floor? You most likely are not going to re due the floor again

I can't use padding because the flooring I purchased is the locking vinyl planks. It needs a rigid surface under it so that the planks remain locked together.

Wouldn't you know it... I started cutting the sheets of underlayment to put down (they cost me $75) then ran to our local ace hardware just to pick up more screws and guess what they have in stock? The powder I searched all over for yesterday at the big box stores! Get. An $8 fix would have been easier and cheaper ugh. Never thought to stop in at ace yesterday grrr

I hope this can be of help to you in the future. If you look at Lowe's or Home Depot's websites, when looking at an item online, you can select the store you want to shop at and it will tell you if that item is in stock at that store. Walmart is the same way. If the item is in stock, it will say something like "available for pick up today"

1anjl said:
I can't use padding because the flooring I purchased is the locking vinyl planks. It needs a rigid surface under it so that the planks remain locked together.

Wouldn't you know it... I started cutting the sheets of underlayment to put down (they cost me $75) then ran to our local ace hardware just to pick up more screws and guess what they have in stock? The powder I searched all over for yesterday at the big box stores! Get. An $8 fix would have been easier and cheaper ugh. Never thought to stop in at ace yesterday grrr
if your time is important to you, you might be a head to go get the rock hard powder and take back the sheets of underlayment you haven't cut up yet, maybe maybe?

Lay down a layer of 1/4" plywood underlayment with glue and 1" staples or screws
DO NOT use particle board, OSB, or any other junk like that, use only PLYWOOD.
Forget about the Durham's, that was horrible advice.
There are no $8 fixes.

I usually do not comment on things like this but calling Ernie's advice "Horrible" was not really called for.

Ernie had helped many people on this Forum with flooring advice and he is a professional with years of flooring experience.

Just standing up for Ernie.

HueyPilotVN said:
I usually do not comment on things like this but calling Ernie's advice "Horrible" was not really called for.

Ernie had helped many people on this Forum with flooring advice and he is a professional with years of flooring experience.

Just standing up for Ernie.
He must be a newbie trying to make friends ;)

Not sure if it?s been mentioned, but if you have slides, make sure they will clear over the new flooring. Sometimes there won?t be enough room for underlayment and flooring.

Huckleberry said:
Lay down a layer of 1/4" plywood underlayment with glue and 1" staples or screws
DO NOT use particle board, OSB, or any other junk like that, use only PLYWOOD.
Forget about the Durham's, that was horrible advice.
There are no $8 fixes.

HORRIBLE- obviously you are a newbie. With 46+ years in the flooring business, I know of what I speak

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom