Tow bar. Fancy vs. Basic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

over40pirate

I was looking at tow bars online.
Rather complex.
Are these really needed?
What's wrong with using a basic, "A" shaped tow bar made of 1/2" steel?
Like one made by Valley, I have, with a 3500 towing capacity.
What advantage does a complex one have, over a basic one?
Anything other than, maybe easier hookup?

Our ReadyBrute Elite aluminum tow bar is designed for all terrain hook-ups, meaning the toad doesn't need to be perfectly in line to hook up. It's an easy one-person hookup that typically takes about 5 minutes. Ours has an 8,000 lb capacity, and also includes an integrated auxiliary brake system instead of needing a separate brake unit. Our toad would be a couple of hundred pounds over the Valley's rated capacity.

Nothing "wrong" with the A-frame tow bars, but the more elegant type are a lot more convenient to hitch up, store, etc. The connect the A-frame towbar to a trailer hitch ball, the car has to be maneuvered precisely to get them to line up.  When unhitched, the A-bar has to be removed and stored.  The motorhome mounted bars swivel and adjust in length to adapt to the car position and they fold up and remain on the coach when not in use.

If you do much hitching and unhitching, the more expensive towbars save time, effort and frustration, but there is a dollar cost for that. Make your own call.

Yes indeed - to both responses. I've used both types, and the articulating tow bars are more forgiving and easier to align when hooking up and unhooking, especially on uneven terrain. They're more expensive, but in my opinion, they're worth it if you're going to be towing on a regular basis.

Kev

I agree with Gary.. An A-Frame is sturdy. low cost. but You have to pull up so the hitch is DIRECTLY over the ball. not more than a fraction of an inch off or you can't latch 'em.

Plus you have to stow it when not in use

My Blue Ox system stows on the RV. I just slip a bag (Cover) over it and leave it in place LOCKED to the RV so it's not likely to grow legs.  I can be a few inches one side or the other. Too close within reaon) angled,  Now I may have to jockey a bit to get both arms attached but.. Way less work than lining up an "A" frame especially by myself.

(Just helped someone hook up a TT. between his skill (Porter for the prak) and mine got it in ONE!!!.)

The extendable are ALOT eaiser and faster. My wife and I can Hook or unhook in less than a minute. If it is pouring down rain(it has happened) it makes it nice. Or if vehicles are waiting to get by. It is well worth the money after watching others struggle. We also have the invisibrake so we don't have to unhook anything there either. We hook or unhook bar, chains and cord that's it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom