Towing with a 2007 Yukon Deneli. 6.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marie60

My daughter bought a 2007 Yukon Denali 6.2 engine. What is the max length a weight of trailer we can buy to tow safely with her truck.Thank you Marie

Look for a yellow sticker inside the drivers side door area.  It will give you the numbers you need to get an answer here.  Also,how many people in the truck while towing.  You need to know what weight trailer you can safely pull,not what length.  And welcome to the forum.

Pugapooh said:
Look for a yellow sticker inside the drivers side door area.  It will give you the numbers you need to get an answer here.  Also,how many people in the truck while towing.  You need to know what weight trailer you can safely pull,not what length.  And welcome to the forum.
That is Gross weight of the trailer

The sticker near the drivers door will give a Payload capacity. Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)  and hopefully the Gross combined weight rating (GCWR)  those are the most pertinent numbers needed.  Length is not a good indicator because one RV of a certain length can weigh 2000lbs more than another.

PAyload is usually the most restrictive factor

For length, I'd say maybe 28-30 ft. at the most.  Shorter would be better, say 21-24 ft.  The longer the trailer, the greater the tendency for the tail to wag the dog.

Weight is more likely to be the limiting factor before reaching the longer lengths. The 2007 GM Tow Guide shows a max of 7900 lbs of trailer weight and that is without passengers or gear in the Yukon.  I would guess that an upper limit of maybe 7000 lbs of trailer weight (Trailer GVWR) would apply.  And she probably wouldn't enjoy driving with that much trailer either, especially in crosswinds or on highways with frequent passing trucks.

I have a 2005 Yukon XL 4wd.  specs say I can pull 8100.  I wouldn't, I'd say 7000 max.  The payload will get ya, I'm only 1600lbs.  Put 4 good size adults, animals, etc etc,  700-800 tongue weight, and you're maxed out.

I'll say it again, keep it at 25' or less, and Gross weight at 7000 lbs gross, or less, Or you'll be sorry.

A 2007 model likely will NOT have the yellow border placard.  They became required in 2009.

You WILL find the GVWR for the vehicle on the tire placard.  Fill the gas tank and get it weighed.  The GVWR MINUS the scale weight is your payload, or how much more weight you may add in the form of passengers, cargo, toys, tools, WD hitch (80#) and hitch wt.  Anything in the truck when you weighed it has already been included.

grashley said:
A 2007 model likely will NOT have the yellow border placard.  They became required in 2009

My company truck is a 2007 F-150, and it has a yellow sticker.

You also didn't mention if it the XL or the regular model.  The XL has a little longer wheelbase which will help with stability.  Another limiting factor to add to the equation is tires.  I found the "P" (passenger) tires have softer sidewalls and flex more while towing which will cause weaving and sway.  LT tires work much better.  I couldn't stand towing with my 2011 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2.  Plenty of power just not the ideal tow vehicle if your trailer is too large.  Dealers will also try to sell you more trailer than you should have.  They always say no problem towing it. 

Jason

The yellow placards were proposed in 2004, with a deadline for implementation of 2009.  Some companies and models did, indeed start including these before the deadline.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom