Awesome security camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I bought a cheap security camera for viewing my front porch. I wasn't expecting much but was blown away by the ease of set up, image quality and versatility. Only $26 and it takes HD images, either photos or video. What I really like is the fact that I can control the camera and view the images from my phone. What really shocked me is that I can view the live image from where ever I get a cell phone signal. It has a motion sensor that records video clips if it detects either sound or motion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H3SRXG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a photo I took this morning. The blurriness on the right side is from my window, not the camera.

Attachments

• Security cam.jpg
    Security cam.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 148
Tom, it looks pretty big, how did you mount it? It's for indoor use only?

Sun2Retire said:
Tom, it looks pretty big, how did you mount it? It's for indoor use only?
It is amazingly small, smaller than a baseball about 2 inches square. It comes with a mounting plate and the base has a magnet. You can literally mount it anywhere. I can't figure out if it could be used outdoors.

With the "Digital Revolution" The cost of that kind of stuff is basically in free fall. And the size as well.

THe way it's going it makes one think it won't be long before you buy a box of Cracker Jacks and inside is the PRIZE. a peal and stick thing about the size of a postage stamp (or smaller) that is a security camera.. Solar powered rechargeable battery and more so all you do is stick it up and link to it.

And yes. I am going way overboard with this post. (Sarcasam) but it sure seems that's where it's headed.

The little 2.2"x 2"x 2" camera is designed for indoor use only, but there is an exterior mount & housing available for $13.

https://www.amazon.com/Mrount-Bracket-Weather-Security-Outdoor/dp/B07DW971RT/

SeilerBird said:
It is amazingly small, smaller than a baseball about 2 inches square. It comes with a mounting plate and the base has a magnet. You can literally mount it anywhere. I can't figure out if it could be used outdoors.

This is from the link you provided, copied it from the bottom of the page. I'm confident a waterproof or resistant cover could be made. Even something as simple as cutting the bottom from a bleach bottle.

"The Wyze Cam v2 must be powered to use (it does not have a battery), and is designed for indoor use (it is not weatherproof)."

I installed a Wyze Cam over a year ago.  https://www.wyzecam.com/product/wyze-cam-v2/ 

Getting the motion detection set up so passing cars didn't generate an alert was my only problem.  It also detects smoke/fire alarms and sound.  Thinking about getting more of them.

The new S&B didn?t have any peephole in the door, and I don?t like opening a door when I don?t know who is on the other side! We bought a Ring doorbell that, while much more expensive, works great there. Designed for outdoor use, so it will stand up to the harsh Iowa winters. We can look live from our phones at any time, and we get notified when someone is at the door even if they don?t ring the bell. The notifications come with automatically saving the video. It has already come in useful for not answering when the JWs come to the door plus notifying me about package delivery so I can have someone pick them up.

We are still researching exterior camera systems and an interior alarm system. Our last house had a really good setup including temperature and water alarms (handy when you leave for 3 months in the winter). The systems have improved so much and gone down so much in price though! Lots more competition than there used to be.

garyb1st said:
Very nice Tom.  Hope it holds up.  Keep us posted and if you figure out a way to protect it from the weather, let us know.
I have it parked in a window behind a shade. It should last a long time there. I am not trying to figure out a way to protect it from the weather. Dutch linked to the perfect outdoor solution for the camera. I have decided today to get another one and put it in the living room. This would be a perfect solution for anyone wanting to keep an eye on their pets while out of their RV or the living room in their S/B.

SargeW said:
Interesting gadget. If I could figure out how to set them up to cover 360 degrees around the RV would be cool.
It would take four of them probably. One front, one rear, one left side and one right side. $100.

We have one to watch our dog in the motorhome.
Sarge they make one that will pan the room about $35

I have a Nest cam that my son bought for me mounted at the front of the rig to keep an eye on the dog and the inside.  It's a great cam, but it will only save video to the cloud, and that's a monthly fee. I like the idea of having it record to an SD card instead.

Interesting gadget. If I could figure out how to set them up to cover 360 degrees around the RV would be cool.

Get one like Google uses for their maps street view.  ;D

SargeW said:

360 cameras have been around for a while now.  Very cool.

https://www.amazon.com/Panorama-Outdoor-Security-Advanced-Quality/dp/B00NMWPC92/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1537550951&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2892685011&dpID=51Ro9UI0GeL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Trick would be where to mount it on an RV.  It's bound to be at least partially obstructed, unless you put it on a pole above your roof.

SargeW said:
I have a Nest cam that my son bought for me mounted at the front of the rig to keep an eye on the dog and the inside.  It's a great cam, but it will only save video to the cloud, and that's a monthly fee. I like the idea of having it record to an SD card instead.

The wyze cam does both.  A rolling 14 day free cloud storage and it takes up to a 64GB micro SD card.  Their docs say 32GB Max but I use a 64 and it reports the full amount.

Wyze also makes a pan&scan version and sell it for a whopping $35.

I've used the two way audio to get the dogs attention.  They did not think it was a much fun as I did.

Back
Top Bottom