Evacuating NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChasA

We are evacuating tomorrow.  We are near Raleigh and remember sitting in the darkness as large trees fell on the house. That was Fran in 1996.  If that happens this time, there won't  be anyone here to hear it. We're loading up the escape pod now.  Heading to Augusta,  Ga. Anyone else bugging out?

Four years ago my neighbor was fed up with Florida and decided to move to North Carolina. He tried to talk me into moving there also. He told me land was cheap and there were no natural disasters in North Carolina. I wonder how that is working out for him.

Maybe he went to the mountain side, Seilerbird?  A bit better over there...

I pretty much grew up in coastal NC, at least the later half of my childhood anyway.  I've lost count of how many hurricane eyes I've been in....  the strongest was a top end cat 3 (I think it was 4 just before landfall and weakened a bit).  When they start getting that big I've got no desire to stick around anymore.
For the last almost two decades I've been in FL

I've gotta say I've thought along the lines of your friend.  I'm sick of having that threat in the back of my mind.

A buddy of mine at a previous job was from MN originally.  We used to talk about how up there you'd have "hunker-down" weather some times... snow or ice.  Might get snowed in or even loose power.... but you rarely had to worry about loosing your roof!
I remember a tornado threat when I lived in IA as a young kid...maybe he had forgotten those things...

I'm praying for you folks back home

If I had to live somewhere that natural disasters were prevalent it would be in a hurricane area. We have lived in areas where tornadoes and earthquakes occur. There?s really no warning for those. I?ve been watching the news about this hurricane and officials are telling folks to evacuate. Many are hunkering down. I would leave in a heartbeat.

Our grand-niece went to the hospital Saturday with labor pains and they sent her home - which is near Camp Lejeune right in the path of Florence.  They drove "home" to Virginia last night and will have a Virginia baby.  So glad they went to Plan B.  Can't imagine going into labor in the middle of a hurricane!  By the way, we're still waiting on this late kid.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Our grand-niece went to the hospital Saturday with labor pains and they sent her home - which is near Camp Lejeune right in the path of Florence.  They drove "home" to Virginia last night and will have a Virginia baby.  So glad they went to Plan B.  Can't imagine going into labor in the middle of a hurricane!  By the way, we're still waiting on this late kid.

ArdraF

Smart folks. I know you?re excited to have them there.

Maybe relieved is a better word!  ::) They have a new house and I hope it survives okay but at least they won't be there for the nightmare if that's what it turns into.

ArdraF

SeilerBird said:
Four years ago my neighbor was fed up with Florida and decided to move to North Carolina. He tried to talk me into moving there also. He told me land was cheap and there were no natural disasters in North Carolina. I wonder how that is working out for him.

One of the government web pages shows the occurrence of natural disasters and gets down to county level. Every state has a share in the disasters. However in NC and SC it depends on where you are.. Disasters happen but a big snowfall is not like a hurricane.  Hurricanes (And Tornados which are even more violent. though smaller and faster moving)I'd like to avoid.

I'm so glad earthquakes don't ever happen in bad weather....us Californians couldn't handle that.

When it comes to natural disasters,  California is literally one state that is on the move...  ;D

I lived for 30 years in Delray Beach and Boca. Andrew, Wilma etc... No thanks. I have relatives on the beach in NC, at ground zero,  that are planning to ride it out! Good luck with that. No thanks.  Maine is just a crapload of snow. Easy to handle. Stay safe everyone.

We are still at our summer place in western NC (Black Mountain & Asheville).  Don't expect really strong winds this far inland, but the probability of severe flooding appears high.  All that water gushing down the mountain sides raises Hell!  And with so many trees, it doesn't take much wind to knock down limbs and take out utility wires.  The flooding often contaminates the water supply as well, but at least the water usually keeps running (gravity is reliable!).

One of my sisters lives in Goldsboro NC, and she's riding it out. The only thing she worries about is an extended power outage. She survived Hazel in '54, and Matthew the other year.

Ya'll stay safe out there. Mother nature has her own agenda and she don't mess around.

I suspect we will have residual rain effect by early next week. Last weekend we had residual rain from the storm that came up through the gulf coast.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
We are still at our summer place in western NC (Black Mountain & Asheville).  Don't expect really strong winds this far inland, but the probability of severe flooding appears high.  All that water gushing down the mountain sides raises Hell!  And with so many trees, it doesn't take much wind to knock down limbs and take out utility wires.  The flooding often contaminates the water supply as well, but at least the water usually keeps running (gravity is reliable!).

Get the waders out Gary, and gas up the back up gen. It may be a wild ride!

sightseers said:
I'm so glad earthquakes don't ever happen in bad weather....us Californians couldn't handle that.

When it comes to natural disasters,  California is literally one state that is on the move...  ;D

After 25 years in NorCal, we had to leave...that 1/4" of rain just got unbearable.... ;P

Youse folks in NC don't need to evacuate...just slap some pontoons on the RV and enjoy the ride!

(be safe y'all)

ArdraF said:

ArdraF

If it's a girl are they going to name it Florence?

My back up genset is at home in Florida. Maybe a long extension cord? 

Our cottage is on the side of a mountain, so the water comes rushing down but keeps right on going. We stay dry enough, but the valley floods and the town water system gets messed up, power goes out, and businesses close.

Oldgator73 said:
If I had to live somewhere that natural disasters were prevalent it would be in a hurricane area. We have lived in areas where tornadoes and earthquakes occur. There?s really no warning for those. I?ve been watching the news about this hurricane and officials are telling folks to evacuate. Many are hunkering down. I would leave in a heartbeat.

actually, tornadoes are about the scariest thing to me when it comes to hurricanes (I've never lived where there was a flooding concern, so that would be #1 if I did)
The tornadoes spawning from hurricanes typically wouldn't be the monsters that spin off the super cells in the midwest....but they are embedded.  Not a chance you'll hear it or see it coming.

I've thought sometimes about how nice it would be, if living in a hurricane prone area, is to have a house
not in a flood zone
zero big trees hanging over it, but something  surrounding the house that would catch missiles coming form the neighbors'
built grossly exceeded in the building codes
with some kind of highly puncture resistant wall construction
and full window shutters
oh, and a whole house generator with huge fuel tank, at least several weeks worth.

....then it wouldn't be much of a worry.  just hunker down and relax.....

If I ever do build a custom house, I'll certainly be considering at least some of these things

more likely though, my next house will after my kids move on and it will be something much smaller...like a cabana or bungalow, and I hope in the mountains someplace or at least hills, and it'll have a nice attached RV barn...and most often we would be not there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom