How long a cable can I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

This question concerns using Dish with my RV. From an old DirecTV member. Changed to Dish because I couldn't receive HD with a dome antenna. So, using the Tailgater, I purchased a 50-foot cable to use in campgrounds where foliage might block signal.

The antenna works fine with the supplied 25-foot cable, but could not/would not lock on to any satellite with the longer cable. My question - is there a reasonable cable length before signal deteriorates? And, what is the expert opinion as to brand cable to purchase? I've noticed a wide range of prices for RG6 75 ohm 18AWG Quad Shield cable.

There are a lot of 72-75 Ohm Cables ranging from RG-59 (and worse) to some RG-11 (I think) For example . it is nearly twice the diameter but you can run a longer run.

For the tailgater you have bi-directional loss. The Receiver provides quite a bit of power to operate the thing as well as LNB power.. Unlike a tripod manual antenna. (Only LNB power).

THen you have signal loss on the return path. and the tailgater being a "Small" dish does not have as much Signal to loose as with the larger Tripod-manual dish.  So that may be your problem.

For a "DISH" I think Rg-6 (Good low loss) is 100 foot but don't quote me. Been a while.

THen you have signal loss on the return path. and the tailgater being a "Small" dish does not have as much Signal to loose as with the larger Tripod-manual dish.  So that may be your problem.

For a "DISH" I think Rg-6 (Good low loss) is 100 foot but don't quote me. Been a while.

Thanks John from Detroit. So, would you recommend a brand? 

fixed quote

I am afraid I can not recommend a brand... Belden (They make lots of cables some good. some not so) has a chart on their website which lists all their cables. IN fact they have several charts as a PDF

Which is at THIS LINK

YOu will have to scroll down a few charts to get to the RG-6 Class (72-75 Ohm) cables.  They start with 50 Ohm cables.

What brand of antenna do you have? Some of the original "tailgater" will not work beyond 25' as I discovered with my first portable. I currently have a "Pathway X2" (on Dish) that has worked well on a100' cable plus a 50' cable (150' total) at Cotton Hill Campground in Ga.  I tested the KING tailgater and found no problem on a 100' cable. All cables were RG6 with factory ends.

Cheers

whiteva said:
What brand of antenna do you have? Some of the original "tailgater" will not work beyond 25' as I discovered with my first portable. I currently have a "Pathway X2" (on Dish) that has worked well on a100' cable plus a 50' cable (150' total) at Cotton Hill Campground in Ga.  I tested the KING tailgater and found no problem on a 100' cable. All cables were RG6 with factory ends.

Cheers

Good to know. I have the X2, and SO FAR, have done fine with a 50? cable...but you never know...

whiteva said:
What brand of antenna do you have?

I have the Tailgater Model VQ4400. Today I purchased a 50-foot RG6/U Quad with compression connectors cable with solid copper core, 3Ghz. Connected it directly to the receiver from the antenna, and the system acquired the 110, signal strength 43, the 119, signal strength 28, and the 129, signal strength 22.
Then, I connected the 35-foot cable to the motorhome connector (RG59 coax?) with the 90 degree elbow that facilitated an easier connection, and the system acquired the same 3 birds with the same results.

Once the temperature here in Arizona gets under 100 degrees, I may tackle the task of replacing the circa 2003 coax run in the motorhome.
Thank you again for your information.

Red,  I suspect that if there is a problem with the coax in the mH it will be in the first foot or so of the coax after it comes inside the MH near any connector to the outside.  In my 2001 MH that is what we found.  Coax has an unusual affinity for moisture when 12 volts is applied as it is for both the Wingard and satellite syatems.  Most TV techs know about this and should confirm this my local cable tech was the one who found my problems.

You should be able to operate your unit at 100' (that includes any cabling inside your rig) maybe even 150'. I used to do installs of all satellite systems and 150' is the max it is supposed to work. That being said i have seen a single box work on a dish at 200+ feet and Directv's SWM systems say 40' from power supply to lnb but have seen them work with 100' of quality rg6. As far as coax do not buy a premade cable in a store. Find a Directv or Dish installer and ask them if you can get them to make you a cable or 2 at 25' offer to pay (they will probably refuse) and you will be good. Another thing to watch for is your barrel connector to tie the cables together. The easiest way to make sure it is compatible is look at the center of it the center should be blue or black. If it is not it may give you issues.

Your best bet would be to use RG 11 cable.  I have spoke to some that have used a tailgater 300 ft away.  RG 6 is not much good past the 25 foot range.

I have used a pre-made 100' RG6 bought at Lowe's. It worked perfectly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom