Winnie fails to score 3 pointer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used one pretty easy fix on both Winnebago's that I owned. And it wasn't even just for the rust problem around the windshields, but it helped immensely. I bought some "J" adhesive channel from a camping store, and ran it over the top of the windshield from end to end. Since the majority of the water gets into the windshield pocket from running off of the roof, the "J" channel stops the flow and directs it easily off of the rig past the windshield rubber.

I originally put it above the window to stop the "streaking" of dirt and dust that would run down the window with the least amount of morning dew.  It worked great for that, but keeping the water off of the windshield frame was a real bonus.  Cheap to, about $25 as I recall.

SargeW said:
I used one pretty easy fix on both Winnebago's that I owned. And it wasn't even just for the rust problem around the windshields, but it helped immensely. I bought some "J" adhesive channel from a camping store, and ran it over the top of the windshield from end to end. Since the majority of the water gets into the windshield pocket from running off of the roof, the "J" channel stops the flow and directs it easily off of the rig past the windshield rubber.

I originally put it above the window to stop the "streaking" of dirt and dust that would run down the window with the least amount of morning dew.  It worked great for that, but keeping the water off of the windshield frame was a real bonus.  Cheap to, about $25 as I recall.

That is an excellent idea, I had water coming in at on corner of our Winnie and when I checked from the inside there was some rust but not a lot. I had a friend tape off a strip above the windshield that included the rubber gasket. He then caulked the the entire area with black elastomeric sealant. You cant tell it had been added and all the leaking has stopped.
  I once thought of making a visor above the windshield similar to the ones seen on  Semi's but DW didnt like the idea. I thought it would go great with the six foot bull horns mounted above.

SargeW said:

I did the same thing for the driver's side window, it's quite effective. Water will however get forced underneath the windshield decorative trim when you are driving into rain - rain impacting that area at maybe 70+ MPH.

After a 3 week wait I have now been told by Safelite that my new windshield has arrived and I made an appointment to have it replaced on Friday at 1PM. But there are some concerns.  They want to keep it over the weekend in case they don't finish on Friday - no problem.  They plan on doing the replacement in their shop. They tell me it is plenty long enough but that the door is only 9 feet wide and that they will have to take off the mirrors to get it in.  I know that the coach is 8'5.5" wide plus there is an awning on the side so I am skeptical it will fit through a 9 foot door unless they are VERY careful.
    I have never had the mirrors off but know they are electrically controlled.  Anybody had experience with removing them and then reinstalling?  It may be a good time to let me get them all cleaned up and polished as I noticed there are very weary looking on the paint.
    Advice is solicited but I will be there when they put it in the shop so any damage is going to be their problem. 

Bill

I would make an appointment for a Monday or Tuesday (or any day other than a Friday!) And I would not let them remove your side mirrors, that's just complicating the matter. Winnie factory service can replace the windshield(s) in one workday. The last time they pulled my windshields was to repair a rusty frame, they brought in an outside guy to grind the rust down.

Safelite needs to be fully prepared to deal with rust, it's almost a certainty that your frame has some. Winnebago has a sequence of primers and coatings that they claim is much more effective than previous coatings.

Took your advice John and rescheduled for a Wednesday through Friday (if necessary) appointment.  The guy says they have done 3 motor homes this summer and took the mirrors off all three but if the job looks to be easy they will try to do it outside the door (weather permitting).  They dealt with rust on two of the three coaches they did but said they were minor.  I am hoping that this one will not be too bad and I have peeled back as much rubber as I can and see no rust.  But I know there will be some.  Thankfully the coach has been kept indoors for the majority of its life but in 16 years it surely has seen rain and wash jobs.  Thanks again.

Bill

A few years ago after hearing the rumors of windshield rust I removed the rubber molding around the windshield frame and inspected for rust.  Found none.  Since then we have had three windshield strikes and had to replace all three.  We have found no rust whatsoever.  Certainly not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not a certainty.  Our unit is stored inside when at home, but prior to our purchasing it, it was stored in a yard outside for years.  We have had rust problems underneath due to Minnesota salt on the highways, but none on the windshield.

In fact we just finished replacing the wet bay and electrical compartment floors with diamond plate aluminum due to rust.  Not really that hard to do.

It's a mystery why some frames rust and some don't. Maybe related to the production process or if the frame has some chips of paint missing in critical areas when they install the glass. Maybe stress in the frame when leveling the frame.  ???

Good plan Bill!  :)) :))

I?m replacing my windshield when it arrives in a couple of weeks. It?s a mobile company and all the work will be done at my location. $400 to repair the rust, but no charge for tne windshield or installation.

Update:  Delivered the coach to Safelite shop today for install of new windshield.  The mirrors look like they will be easy to remove - 4 bolts covered by removable caps.  Just for kicks I asked the guy how much it would cost the insurance company for this job - half of a Winnebago windshield.  The answer - $1263. So I guess that $53 a year I pay for a glass endorsement is well worth it as it would take 24 years to cover that without insurance.
But I do wonder why the insurance company never asked me how this happened.  It would seem that they could get some coverage from the rental company that had failed to remove the goal which was improperly installed so as to face the street rather than the drive.  I was all prepared with pix, addresses, and other info needed should they wish to contact the rental company insurance.  So I know that my premiums will probably be going up a good amount in January.

Bill

Bill N said:
So I know that my premiums will probably be going up a good amount in January.

I doubt if they will. I've had three windshield claims over the last 8 years - two for single panes and one for both (that was over $2k). They were classed as "no fault" claims and didn't affect the next year's premium. I always asked about it each time I claimed just to make sure they hadn't changed their T&Cs but they (Progressive) were always glad to give me the good news.

Dougie.

John Canfield said:
Are you going to look at the frame when they pull the glass?
I told them to call me if they encountered more than minor rust problems.  I only live about 6 miles away.  So far they have had it since 1 pm yesterday and it is now 8:15 the next day and no call.  Keeping fingers crossed....lol

Bill

Well I couldn't stand to wait for that call so I took the long way from home to Springfield and went by the Safelite shop.  The coach was inside so I assume they took off the mirrors and got it in.  Stopped in the office to check and the manager told me the glass was in and that they had no problems but that they were just finishing up on the moldings and minor things.  I asked about rust and he said there was very very little so they just wirebrushed it out and treated it.  I guess that indoor storage for all of it's 16 years (minus trips) really helped.  Should be ready this afternoon and you can bet I will be looking for any damage from going through a 9 foot door.  Thanks for all the help and advice folks.

Bill

Bill N said:
Well I couldn't stand to wait for that call so I took the long way from home to Springfield and went by the Safelite shop.

I hate that. :D Glad it seems to have been great news.

Dougie.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom