RV Fridge to Samsung RF 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc2

About 3-4 weeks ago, we traded our 2004 Dutch Star DP and purchased a 2010 Newmar Dutch Aire Model 4304 DP from Motor Homes of Texas in Nacogdoches, Tx. It came with the double door SS Norcold 1200 series rv fridge which I admit is working relatively well. I have not been a supporter of them for some time nor do I trust them. We are scheduled to have it replaced by MH of TX on Oct 15 with the Samsung SS 17.5 cu ft French Door Counter Depth model RF18HFENBSR. Our other choice was a GE 18.6 cu ft French Door Counter Depth model GWE19JSLSS @ $500 more. Over the past several years when the big push started with folks to replace their rv fridges with residential ones, Samsung was mentioned frequently as a choice. Reader comments on the Home Depot website for "both" is all over the board. What have members of this forums experienced reliability wise if the have changed to either the Samsung or GE models I mentioned? Good, bad,???

I can't comment on the models you mentioned, but I replaced our Norcold with a Samsung 197 more than 5 years ago and it has been great. It's a vast improvement over the Norcold, we boondock often and it's not a problem. The only downside is the stainless steel is hard to keep looking good.

We have the Samsung RF 18, we love it. We have had it almost 3 years without any issues. We had it installed in Mesa AZ, modest cabniet mods. Overall cheaper than replacing out Norcold. We rarely boondock, but have ran the refer 24 hours without shore power.

I replaced our Norcold 1200 with a GE 14.4 cu ft (largest we could use and still get doors open) and it worked fine, but we only used it a year before selling the coach.

I'm not sure where you are getting your prices from, other than Home Depot.  The difference in price between the two brands is <$400 if you use AJMadison prices, even less than that for some colors.

We replaced our Norcold with a  Samsung 19.4 counter depth three door model.  It sticks out a little, but we like the extra space.  Added a refrigerator door lock from recubes solutions.  Easy to install.  Great customer service.  My only complaint about the Samsung is that I have to turn the ice maker off occasionally.  Given that the Norcold could not keep up with our ice needs, this is a small price to pay for a great refrigerator.  One other issue we had was things falling off the top shelf when traveling and ending up between the doors and the shelves.  We solved this by installing spring bars before we travel.

I just did this mod last month, no problems so far.  See photos here:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,116280.msg1058138.html#msg1058138

"Fits in the hole" is only one of the factors in choosing a replacement. Different floor plans often have differing limitations, so a fridge that fits nicely in one may not be workable in another.  Some other key factors are door swing space (single door models) and drawer pullout space (french door or bottom freezer models).  Careful measurement [before you buy] is a must.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
"Fits in the hole" is only one of the factors in choosing a replacement. Different floor plans often have differing limitations, so a fridge that fits nicely in one may not be workable in another.  Some other key factors are door swing space (single door models) and drawer pullout space (french door or bottom freezer models).  Careful measurement [before you buy] is a must.

:))

Samsung is a popular replacement in an RV, but I am so fed up with Samsung appliances right now!  A 5 year old washer rusted through.  bought a replacement cowling and before it got here the dryer quit heating and now the garage french door fridge is making noise.  I'm going back to Speed-Queen and Sub-Zero :)

Any new fridge you buy today is not going to last. That goes for appliances period. 3-4 years is about where most fridges will stop working and need a major component replace. It's not brand specific issue, it's an industry one. Gone are the days getting a new fridge and putting your old one in the garage. The stuff they are making today will go straight to a land fill. That said I would gladly have hard ice cream in a fridge that needs  new compressor every 3 years then a Norcold that will never freeze ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom