Tire Blowout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garyb1st said:
Never heard of it either.  But Google CSAA and AAA comes up.

Just found it:

AAA Northern California, Nevada and Utah (AAA NCNU), formerly known as the California State Automobile Association (CSAA), is one of the largest motor clubs in the American Automobile Association (AAA) National Federation. As the names states, it serves members in Northern California, Nevada, and Utah.

They totaled it. I thought it was repairable.
Strictly a dollar decision for the insurer.  If the estimated repair cost + salvage value exceeds the market value, it's cheaper for them to pay you the market value than to fix it.  With the high labor rates for RV repairs, a "total" is a common occurrence.  If you can DIY some or all of the repair, it makes sense to buy the rig from the insurer at its salvage value and fix it yourself, even if you have to pay some professional help.

Popular add-on steering dampers are the Safe-T-Plus, Roadmeaster Reflex, Steersafe and similar devices.  They advertise heavily about improving safety, though there isn't a lot of evidence they actually help much. The driver is a much more important factor in blow-out safety (see the Micheline video referenced earlier here).

This previous topic here discusses them: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=69533.0

http://www.safe-t-plus.com/rv/
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/reflex.html
http://www.drivedivedevour.com/roadmaster-rv-steering-stabilizer-review/

I have my houses and all vehicles covered by CSAA or AAA whichever you want to call it. 

Had a water line break in my house a few years back...$32,000 to repair and they took care of the whole thing from start to finish. They sent an electrician to my house the day after the flood and upgraded my 30 amp RV outlet to a 50 amp so we could stay in the coach while the house was stripped empty for repairs.

They were going to pay for a hotel for a month or two but we said we'd stay in the RV. It was July...100 degree plus weather so they agreed to up our power source so we could run both air conditioners.

Arch Hoagland said:
They were going to pay for a hotel for a month or two but we said we'd stay in the RV. It was July...100 degree plus weather so they agreed to up our power source so we could run both air conditioners.

They made out like a bandit.

For those who were asking about the apparent tire wear seen in one of the pictures I uploaded, I pulled up a sales brochure picture of the Milestar BS 623 tire - the tire that blew out. As you can see, even on a new tire, the outer portion of the tread pattern looks bald, or nearly bald - right from the factory. It's just tread design.

Kev

Attachments

• Milestar BS623 Tire.jpg
    Milestar BS623 Tire.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 39
I agree that the outside ribs look smooth with the 3 inner rows with siping. But the inside tread area looks at least a 1/4" lower than the other treads. It would seem to indicate a uneven wear pattern with a tire with a slight tow in alignment.  Just my .02

You could be right Marty, but it's hard to tell, because the tire is so badly mangled. For what's worth, the right/front tire looks fine. No unusual wear at all.

Kev

SargeW said:
I agree that the outside ribs look smooth with the 3 inner rows with siping. But the inside tread area looks at least a 1/4" lower than the other treads. It would seem to indicate a uneven wear pattern with a tire with a slight tow in alignment.  Just my .02

Marty if you're looking at the damaged tire I think the tread is gone. Tore off.  Picture #6

The tread has indeed separated from the body, but it also appears to be worn on the outer edge.  An out-of-alignment wheel creates a lot more heat and flexing in the tire, which contributes to weakening of the tread/body bonding.  So does an under-inflated tire, and under-inflation can happen quickly, even if the psi was fine when the day began. Thus the value of a TPMS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom