Jeep Computer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

Today I had a brief problem which, thinking about it afterwards, is slightly scary. My 2015 Sahara has generally been pretty good -- lots to like, but a couple of things make me wonder, and today's most of all: I was headed for an appointment (city streets) and it was getting a touch warm, so I tried to roll the (power) window down. Neither front window would move, though I could open and close the two rear windows. Before leaving the house I'd rolled up that front window, but now it would do nothing. After the appointment, when I got back in the Jeep, it worked fine, and was OK all the way home.

The other problems have been occasional. While everything was fine for the first few months I had it, I eventually discovered that once in a while the GPS doesn't properly boot, staying in a Garmin screen that obviously shows near the startup. This went on until a few months ago, when I read about a download that would cure the problem. So I applied it, and sure enough no more GPS problem.

But then after a while I noticed that the cruise control occasionally won't turn on. Once it's on it works fine, but sometimes pushing the on/off button does nothing. Sometimes I can push it later and it'll come on, other times it won't until after I've stopped, shut down, then restarted the engine.

Then a couple of days ago, I encountered the GPS startup screen again -- only once so far, but...  And then today, with the front windows...

Anybody know what's going on? Anyone else having that?

Larry, the electrical gremlins are out to get you!  ::) Sorry, I just couldn't pass that up.  But these things are frustrating!  You have my sympathy if not my knowledge.

ArdraF

Those problems stink.  They never happen when you need to show a service tech.  You might consider disconnecting the negative from the battery, let it sit for a 1/2 hour, and reconnect.  Maybe it needs a good reboot? 

We have 24,000 miles on our 2016 and so far no problems.  We don't have the GPS option on the radio.  No problems with either the cruise or the windows.  Hopefully you'll get them resolved. 

You know, when you have these mysterious problems that span multiple systems in a car, or RV, they almost always are  attributed to a bad ground somewhere.

I doubt that the window motors are computer controlled.  But a bad ground could effect both the GPS and windows, and a bunch of other stuff too.

Unless the jeep has voice recognition and normally responds to 'lower drivers window'?  Not likely as far as I know.

A very good thought, Muddy - thanks.

I've not seen anything on the web about software upgrades, Pam, but it's a good thought -- perhaps a dealer knows something, but... We'll check.

Update: I've done nothing to the Jeep, at this point, and haven't tried until my current trip to make use of the GPS. But when I switched to the GPS one day last week (in Nashville) I discovered that I now have a female voice giving directions, not the male one I had set, and the verbiage for directions is different, giving me things like, "Turn left at the traffic light" which previously would have been something like, "Turn left onto 144th Ave." Apparently they somehow did a software update, but I don't even know what they'd have connected through, since there is supposed to be password protection to use my data connection. Hmmm...  :eek: :eek:

spencerpj said:
Those problems stink.  They never happen when you need to show a service tech.  You might consider disconnecting the negative from the battery, let it sit for a 1/2 hour, and reconnect.  Maybe it needs a good reboot? 

Should the battery be completely disconnected for a reboot? That's the way I have do it on my Subaru

BruceinFL said:
Should the battery be completely disconnected for a reboot? That's the way I have do it on my Subaru
One wire disconnected wire kills all the power to any/all devises.  I always prefer the ground, somewhere I thought I read or heard that. Some have capacitors that hold a charge for a bit, so it's best to leave disconnected 1/2 hour if you can

Larry N. said:
Update: I've done nothing to the Jeep, at this point, and haven't tried until my current trip to make use of the GPS. But when I switched to the GPS one day last week (in Nashville) I discovered that I now have a female voice giving directions, not the male one I had set, and the verbiage for directions is different, giving me things like, "Turn left at the traffic light" which previously would have been something like, "Turn left onto 144th Ave." Apparently they somehow did a software update, but I don't even know what they'd have connected through, since there is supposed to be password protection to use my data connection. Hmmm...  :eek: :eek:

It's called satelite, and somwhere in the fineprint of the manual, I'd guess it says they can do firmware updates.  Hopefully it corrected your problem  :))

Well, I've not seen any problems since the apparent update.

I wasn't aware that the Uconnect (Jeep's name for it) had a satellite connection. It's certainly nothing like GM's OnStar, since they don't offer that kind of service.

Larry N. said:
Well, I've not seen any problems since the apparent update.

I wasn't aware that the Uconnect (Jeep's name for it) had a satellite connection. It's certainly nothing like GM's OnStar, since they don't offer that kind of service.

Hmmm, a little research and it does NOT seem to updates automatically.  Don't know what to tell ya, be happy all is good right now.  Surely they aren't doing auto updates in a system they don't disclose exists. 

I believe if you disconnect the battery you will have to take it to a dealer to reset the radio. It is an anti theft thing. I don't know if it will affect any thing else.

Our 2015 Grand Cherokee had a recall for cruise control issue.
Don't know if it was a problem in other models

Thanks, but I've not been notified of a recall. Do you know what the problem was with the cruise control?

I'd hope a mere battery disconnect wouldn't mean a trip to the dealer, since batteries have to be replaced after a few years.

I believe it is for cruise not disengaging. My wife took it in for (her car) the fix.
Yes I think that is the case with battery change. Maybe some way with key engaged to bypass, might check that as my Wrangler is @8yrs with original battery. I only put 2-3 k a year on it so may go bad from no use.

Robert K said:
I believe if you disconnect the battery you will have to take it to a dealer to reset the radio. It is an anti theft thing. I don't know if it will affect any thing else.
Every car I've seen comes with the code to enter into the radio when power is lost, it's an anti theft thing.  Look at your manual, and in that information for the code.  If you bought used, and no code in car anywhere, you might have to go to dealer, they have a generic code they don't share.

Back
Top Bottom