First RV trip !!! send me your advice ..Goa know I need it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIVE NOW NO LATER

8) OMG I'm so excited ..we are renting our RV and going to  Mission Bay RV Resort 9/21!!!!!  I hope it will be everything that I have dream of...  :p ouch hope I don't have any problem..and they accepted 3 dogs !!!!!!!!!!!!!. Shout me all your advice for my first trip, please

::)muskoka guy
Thanks... I have started a list ...you got the first  :))Dont hook up the fresh water hose to the black tank flush.. How do you hook up then , anyway???? I will have to check on youtube

When using the toilet, make sure the black tank drain valve is closed. Do not open that drain until then tank is 3/4 full. Then dump it.
As far as the gray tanks, I leave mine open all the time while camping. Others will differ. 2 days before you plan on dumping the black tank, shut the gray tank drain valve or valves if you have 2 gray tanks and let the tanks fill up. Use that water to flush out the sewer hose,(stinky slinky) after you dump the black tank.

1st: Pay close attention when they show you stuff at the rental place. 
2nd: Ask questions about anything yu don't know or understand, not matter how rushed you or the rental guy may be.

What kind/brand RV are you renting? You have us all guessing here!

Bring a notebook with you when you pick it up and write down all the important stuff, don't rely on memory. Remember to ask about how to fill it with gas or where the gas tank is and how to operate the generator/ AC/ furnace/ water etc.
Have a great time!!

I just thought of another thing that Tom, Seilerbird, taught me- always walk around the rv before driving. Look for open windows, hoses hooked up, everything put away, doors closed, tires look good etc.

Before parking on ANY site, get out and look the site over. Identify anything you don't want to run over. Visualize how the RV needs to sit on the site for optimum use, ie awnings out, slides out, getting doors/bays open etc. 

Especially since it's a first time, use a checklist before leaving, before hooking up, and before leaving the RV camp. Although there aren't a million things to remember, and it gets easier the more you do it, best to not leave it to chance. There are checklists that you can use on this site...

RVMommaTo6 said:
Bring a notebook with you when you pick it up and write down all the important stuff, don't rely on memory. Remember to ask about how to fill it with gas or where the gas tank is and how to operate the generator/ AC/ furnace/ water etc.
Have a great time!!
Great idea. An even better idea might be to whip out your cell phone and video the instructions you get from the dealer.

If you're not accustomed to moving an RV around, exercise care - the Mission Bay (I'm assuming San Diego) park is tight, and people are careless about how they park their rigs.

:-[ Oh well had to cancel the Mission Bay Rv Resort - San Diego*** did not noticed that they have a RV age restriction as 15 year or newer....
But I have bee taken note of all your advices...I even bought a notebook for me...

LIVE NOW said:
::)muskoka guy
Thanks... I have started a list ...you got the first  :))Dont hook up the fresh water hose to the black tank flush.. How do you hook up then , anyway???? I will have to check on youtube
Most rvs have two places that a garden hose will hook up. One is for the fresh water, which will fill your fresh water tank, or you can run the rv on city water pressure if you are at a park. The other hookup is to spray water into your blackwater or toilet tank for cleaning purposes. If you hook it up to the tankflush, it will fill up the tank, then proceed to spill pressurized blackwater all over the rv out of the toilet and vent pipes. I have seen it happen twice in rv parks. One was a rental rv unit, the other was a fifth wheel that they had just bought or borrowed. Very ugly situation. The rental rv, they hooked up the water, and went to town. A neighbor shut off the water after he saw it pouring out the door. The fifth wheel guy, my friend and I shut his water off. It was pouring out the front corner of the rv through his washer vent. I think it was coming out the toilet as well. I didnt ask to look. lol The guys wife was pretty upset when we left.

Many places will make exceptions to the age rule if you submit a photo of the RV showing it is in good condition.

OMG  :-X :'( :'( I went from being soooo excited to sad that I even eat 2 cookies !!!! I have not eating ANY sugar for over 5 months !! So I posted today that an RV caught my eyes... and I really like it . I was already thinking to paint the cabinets nice shine white and spray the handle , remove the carpet.... my Matilda was coming alive ! as the seller accepted my offer of $13k for the 1999 Gulfstream Conquest 30f 31k miles... 31k miles my ????.. So I run Carfax tonight , it shows that back on 4/2013 it was serviced and that time the odometer reads 49,051 !!!!!!!!! I was so /I'm still up sad and I message the seller and sent the report to him saying ...I want to believe that you did not know that ?. Perhaps, it is just that its not for me to have it...to take Matida and said to the kids and the family lets go !!! sorry :'( how to protect myself from those type of people? It cost $45.00 to run the Carfax.... how to ensure the odometer is right ...hope I don't have to pay for a Carfax every time I interesting in something.. :-\

Before you buy ANY used RV--motorhome or trailer--you need to have it inspected by someone who knows what to look for.  You can find such a person by asking around at nearby RV parks for RV mobile repairmen or on this forum, but you will have to give your location.  This rule also applies to RVs sold at dealers. 

With a 20 year old RV, you can end up with something that will cost you thousands of dollars to fix--sometimes more than the RV is worth and more than you agreed to pay for it.  The inspection may cost you a couple of hundred dollars, but that is a LOT less expensive than being ripped off or finding thousands of dollars of hidden repairs needed before it is usable.

JudyJB said:
Before you buy ANY used RV--motorhome or trailer--you need to have it inspected by someone who knows what to look for.  You can find such a person by asking around at nearby RV parks for RV mobile repairmen or on this forum, but you will have to give your location.  This rule also applies to RVs sold at dealers. 

With a 20 year old RV, you can end up with something that will cost you thousands of dollars to fix--sometimes more than the RV is worth and more than you agreed to pay for it.  The inspection may cost you a couple of hundred dollars, but that is a LOT less expensive than being ripped off or finding thousands of dollars of hidden repairs needed before it is usable.
:)) :)) :)) Good message Judy.

Thanks Judy... The RV was drove from Louisiana 1,412.3 miles (where it was bought from base on Carfax) to here .Does anybody know a trust RV mechanic/ inspector here in Phoenix, AZ area?

LIVE NOW said:
Thanks Judy... The RV was drove from Louisiana 1,412.3 miles (where it was bought from base on Carfax) to here .Does anybody know a trust RV mechanic/ inspector here in Phoenix, AZ area?
Look for a mobile mechanic on Craigslist if all else fails.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom