rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Help! Ac and heater not working  (Read 153 times)

Joygoetz

Help! Ac and heater not working
« on: September 12, 2018, 04:26:07 PM »
Hello, I am at a loss of what happened to my air and heat! Last week both were working.  Now both are not working!  I have a 2016 Shasta Forest River travel trailer.

I have checked all the breakers , they were fine.  I checked all the fuses they were fine but I changed the ac fuse anyway .  I checked the battery it is fully charged.  I am also plugged into a 30 amp service . 

I decided to try changing the Tstat.  Still nothing no fan or anything.  I by passed the Tstat and tried to start the air and fan nothing! It looks like I have no power to my red wire!

Everything else works, light,frig,bump out, micro stove radio everything except heat and air? Is there anything else I could try?  Thank you

Joy

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
Re: Help! Ac and heater not working
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:23:35 PM »
For the Air Conditioner, check the 110 Volt AC circuit breaker. It may have tripped. You'll have to shut it off then back on to reset it.
When you say heater do you mean a 110 Volt AC electric heater or the RV propane furnace?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
The furnace doesn't use 120v and the a/c is mostly 120v (except the thermostat interface), so they have little in common except the thermostat(s).   Given that they both quit at the same time, it is almost surely something common to both.

Did you verify 12v to the thermostat (and what make/model of tstat is it?)?  How did you "bypass" it?   The furnace is the easiest to check for t-stat control - just put +12v on the wire from tstat to furnace and see if it begins to ignition sequence.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

QZ

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 06:47:36 PM »
Replace the 12 volt fuse anyway I've seen them fail and show power on a digital meter and yet not pass current. Yes they're probably made in China because I've also heard of some fuses not popping when they should have.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 07:04:51 AM »
Unless you have something like the Carrier Air V (which controls the furnace) the only thing they both have in common is the Thermostat.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:05:20 AM »
Unless you have something like the Carrier Air V (which controls the furnace) the only thing they both have in common is the Thermostat.  Which is a 12 volt device.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Joygoetz

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:49:00 AM »
Thank you for all your suggestions.  I have a honey well nonprogramable digital Tstat.  I by passed the Tstat by touching the red wire to the green fan wire did not work.  I put the red wire to the yellow for ac nothing! I put the red wire to the white for heat nothing. put the red and blue to a 12v bulb and nothing. I really feel like somehow I lost power to my red wire???

Any way to resolve this without bringing it in?  I donít have a rig that can tow it at this tome😩

Thank you!

Joy

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 07:56:53 AM »
Run a temporary power source from a light or something close by and see if it works. If it does, you may have to run a new wire. Yours may have been chewed by mice or whatever.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 10:29:33 AM »
It does sound like loss of 12v power to the t-stat.  Easy enough to check with a voltmeter if you can identify a common (12v ground) wire. Often it is black or blue (and the red the +12v), but there are no real standards, especially in RVs.

The +12v power usually comes from either the furnace or the ac zone controller, but again that is just common practice rather than a rigid standard.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL