Sprinter Class C (or maybe an A) Probably not Class B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckB

Ok, I'm rather new at this, but after several years of thinking, planning, etc. I have decided to bite the bullet and get an RV.  I'll be traveling by myself most of the time and really don't want a huge unit, but I do have a medium sized dog and apparently 2 cats.  At any rate I've decided that the Mercedes Benz Sprinter is probably the best bet for me.  I'll probably buy a low mileage used unit and tow a car behind it, probably a 2 door Jeep Wrangler, but that's still up for debate.  Anyway, there are several manufacturers that sell "MB Sprinters: Winnebago, Thor, Dynamax, Forest River, etc.  Any recommendations on who to stay away from, or who to recommend.  I'm also only slightly more handy that a seal...

Thanks
ChuckB

While I can understand the appeal of the Sprinter at first glance if traveling solo the deal breaker for me would be limited cargo carrying capacity, often in the 400-700 pound range due to its 11,030 pound GVWR chassis rating.  As well as the small propane tank that most Sprinters are equipped particularly as these tend to have propane fueled generators on board.  Take the Winnebago Vista with its 13 gallon propane tank and Onan 3600 LP generator that consumes .6 gallons of propane per hour at 50% load as an example, put another way that is about 24 hour of fuel supply for the generator if supplying power to run the roof air conditioner, not counting propane used for the stove, water heater, or furnace, this may be good enough to provide power for a few hours in the evening on a weekend trip before needing to be refilled, but not much else.

By comparison my 28 ft class A (29'5" bumper to bumper, 4 ft 2 inches longer than the above mentioned Vista) with its 17,000 GVWR has almost 3,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity with empty water tanks, has a gasoline 4000 watt Onan generator that draws fuel from the 60 gallon main gasoline tank, and has a 32 gallon propane tank to power the furnace, stove, and water heater.  My coach also has more than double the water tank capacity of the Vista, with 80 gallon fresh 40 black and 40 gray.

My 2019 Winnebago View 24D is 25.6 feet, OCCC is 1080 (not huge but also not 400-700).  The diesel gen and Truma tankless hot water ensures that the 13 gal (= 2 20lb tanks) will last a very long time.  It is also very maneuverable and I do not bring a toad

That sounds like one of the higher capacities I have seen listed for sprinters, for comparison see this thread https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33379

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom