5th wheel hitch that can be removed by one person

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pz

We have inflatable kayaks that we like to bring traveling. They are stored in the basement of the rig, but when at the destination, we need to transport them to the waterways, but the hitch is in the way. I'm becoming older and am having problems with my back when wrestling the current hitch (Curt 20k) out of the truck bed at our destination even though it breaks down to two pieces (my wife is willing to help but I cannot stand the thought of her hurting herself). I've seen the advertisements for the Blueox hitch which is said to be easily removable by one person. Does anyone have experience with this hitch or anything other that might be easy to mount by one person?

I have a B&W that weights A LOT so I feel your pain. You may want to check out Andersen hitches. They are known for being fairly light in weight.

The web page is here:  https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

Just a thought for a short stay you could leave the hitch on the fifth wheel. Just pull pins on base and raise it off truck. I know some others will say it isn't good for it. There is not enough stress on the toinge to hurt it. No more than going down the road. I have done it before when we had a fifth wheel at home. Just a thought. If you use a king pin stabilizer while camping that won't work.

Some of the hitches that tilt and swivel are removable in two parts, the upper "head" and the lower frame. Each part weighs 35-45 lbs, so not bad to move alone. The better ones don't require tools - just clevis pins or similar.

I have the Andersen hitch and I am quite happy with it.  It comes in two basic forms - an Aluminum hitch which connects to a Gooseneck ball and weighs 37# and a steel hitch which fits on standard rails and weighs 40#.  I have the gooseneck version and it takes about 5 minutes to install or remove.  The weight is correct.

One MINOR disadvantage is you must raise the FW about 3 inches higher to hook up than with the conventional style hitch. 

Have you considered a truck bed hoist? They mount in the bed of the truck or stake hole and lift weight in and out of the bed. I don't have any recommendations, only seen them. Never used one.

Ghostman said:
Just a thought for a short stay you could leave the hitch on the fifth wheel. Just pull pins on base and raise it off truck. I know some others will say it isn't good for it. There is not enough stress on the toinge to hurt it. No more than going down the road. I have done it before when we had a fifth wheel at home. Just a thought. If you use a king pin stabilizer while camping that won't work.

When I had a 5th wheel I did the same thing a few times. Seen others do it also.

When I had a fifth wheel, I had a Curt. It came out in two pieces, not to heavy that way.

If you can use a 15k hitch instead of 20k, the RBW is a relatively light hitch that easily disconnects the head with a couple of pins. Then 4 more pins to remove the lower frame from the bed. Very simple and each part if low weight.
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Pro-Series/PS30093.html

I know there are others like it, but you will have to search them out.

I've used the Andersen for 3 summers now and love it. It comes out of the truck every time we come home and hangs on my garage wall. I have the gooseneck version. Pull-Right also makes a similar hitch so that might be one to check out, too.

Save your money and keep current hitch in truck.  A couple of 2x4?s across the bed rails held down by c-clamps, strap kayak down and your ready to go.  If you want to spend a little more money, look at Thule or Yakima systems to replace the 2x4?s.

i was going to say a roof rack with kayak holders

https://www.thule.com/en-ca/ca/roof-rack?q=CJsApJTNz

kayak carriers https://www.thule.com/en-ca/ca/sport-rack/kayak-roof-racks

Thanks for all the tips, folks; lots to think about now  :))

I am super happy with the 36# Anderson Aluminum hitch that mounts to the B&W flip over ball. Take less than 60 seconds to remove, and I have my truck bed back. 14k GVWR trailer. No issues, pulls nice and smooth. I store it in the basement of the 5th wheel when i put it in storage.

I have a Curt hitch. I leave it on the 5th wheel. Just pull the pins and lift it out of the bed and leave it hanging on the kingpin. The force of the weight of the hitch on the clamps are miniscule compared to when driving down the road.

Darrell

I have a Reese 15K sliding hitch the comes apart in 2 pieces. The head separates from the base. Couple of clevis pins holds the head in place and 4 more hold the base to the rails. The whole thing weighs 120 or 130 pounds. Roughly 60 pounds per piece. Isn't bad to move by yourself. I have lifted the whole thing in and out of the truck in one piece in the past and stood there wondering why it was sooo heavy compared to last time. Didn't dawn on me until I was checking all the pins to make sure they were secure. DOH!

A couple of 2x4's cut to length and a couple of clamps are a lot lighter though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom