Magnetek converter problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

over40pirate

Our new to us 1992 mh has a magnetek converter problem.
While plugged into shore power. and batteries are charged.
One of the 110 v breakers is labeled "Recept."
With breaker on, voltage at fuses is 12.4 and at battery 14.2
With breaker off, voltage at panel is 13.6 and at battery 13.4
There is nothing plugged into any receptacles.
The converter was on overnite, with the "recept." breaker on.
Any ideas?

Not sure what you are referring to as a "problem" here. The 'Recept' breaker is for what purpose?? Does it power the converter (battery charger etc)? There are likely two 12V outputs on that converter, one to charge the battery and one for the 12V distribution to the house circuits (ie fuses). A battery voltage at 14.2 V indicated that the battery is being charged at a higher (bulk) rate because it deemed to be down, it should drop back to 13.4/13.6V or so sooner or later. A battery reading at 13.6/13.4V or so, if read right after the charger was disconnected, could be quite normal, it is possibly the surface charge. Turn on a light for a few minutes then back off, that reading should drop back down to 12.6V or so if the battery is fully charged.

Magnetek chargers, especially of that vintage, have a bad reputation for over charging the batteries. It would be a good idea to replace the charger portion of that unit with a replacement kit that will provide a good 3 stage charging system in place of that dinosaur.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj399vS5rrdAhXimOAKHaGFB5sQFjAMegQIBxAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestconverter.com%2FUpgrade-Kits-for-MagnetekParallax_c_64.html&usg=AOvVaw281GNhWkIQ_L7yz5Acjck_

(The site listed is temporarily down as I write, but should be back up soon)

Make and Model of the RV might help in further diagnosis.

You can't rely much on the labels on the breakers - RV manufacturers tend to very generic labels.  Chances are "Recept" is essentially "everything else" other than the few dedicated circuits, e.g. an a/c or microwave.  It's likely what brings 120v power to the Magnetec converter/charger as well as receptacles and what not.

I don't see anything in your description that sounds like a problem, since you say the battery charges and presumably you have lights and such (all 12v stuff).  However, the voltage values seem a bit strange even though not necessarily a problem.  I would expect the "breaker on" voltages to be 13.3-13.6 at both battery and fuses, and the breaker off voltages to be lower and decrease over time.  It's possible that Recept breaker has nothing at all to do with the Magnetek and you are just getting voltage samples at different times.

Doesn't 12.4 volts, and dim lights sound like a problem? Plus, the charging voltage is 14.2 volts (with full charged battery) This is with the recepts. breaker on.

I just turned all the 12 volt lights on. After 5 minutes did these measurements.
Disconnected battery voltage  12.9  This is new battery installed a few days ago.

Switch on. Panel voltage 11.4  Battery voltage 12.9
Switch off. Panel voltage 12.0 Battery voltage 12.74

Seems like converters charger isn't working.
I just replaced it's fan with a muffin fan. Might take it out again and take another look inside.
Or give my brain a break, and buy a new one!
Just planning a few 2-3 day trips. Not a full timer.
Thanks for the help.

Years ago I researched this problem on my 1985 Lazy Daze class C rig. I bought and installed the KIT that Stu recommended in his post. I know just enough to keep me out of trouble with electrical and after taking pics before starting the project had no problems. The 3 stage charger still workd great today. You should look into doing this for your NEW batterys. Good Luck!

Sounds like a 6300 Series. And yes. I know exactly what is going on not and idea, Knowledte

Most converters are charger and power supply in one outputting FILTERED DC.
The Magnetek is a Power supply but RAW unfiltered rectified AC  NO filters... and a charger.. IN one chassis. but two INDEPENDENT parts. in the absence of 10vac there is a relay that closes to join them together so battery voltage goes to all 12 volt systems

The batteries are fully charged.. now here is problem #1 with the Magnetek 6300... It keeps right on overcharging.  Not all that fast. but it will boil your batteries dry fairly fast.

Problem #2: When you ARE on 120v.. the "Power supply" part is putting out Raw. Unfiltered Rectified AC it swings from zero to around 16 volts and back.. NOT good for Radios. or any appliance that needs true DC.

THE SOLUTION

Order a Progressive Dynamics 4600 (Match the last two digits as close as you can to the Magnetek) Gut the back of the box (Where the electronics are) and sell to a scrap yard. Hook up the 4600, and a single jumper wire (Both Red and blue wires hook to the RED terminal on the 4600 if you wish)

Batteries will pay for the 4600 by lasting longer... Much, Much.. Longer.

Doesn't 12.4 volts, and dim lights sound like a problem? Plus, the charging voltage is 14.2 volts (with full charged battery) This is with the recepts. breaker on.
First time you mentioned dim lights, pardner.  ??? 

12.4v isn't a problem per se - that's normal voltage for a battery at about 80% charge, or in a circuit where there is a bit of load present (the voltage drops).  Nor is 14.2v out off range for the old Magnetec, which is a notorious battery boiler.

At this point, I would be suspicious of the wiring and the connection quality. Your voltage readings don't make a lot of sense, even though they are in the broad range of acceptable.

John is right that your old Magnetec is poor on power output consistency and weak on charge capability, and a candidate to be replaced. However, they served RVers for 20 years and kept the lights on (although they destroyed a lot of batteries in that time!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom