Seeking experienced input on first RV purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all,

We are totally new to the idea of RV'ing and just found a 1999 Roadtrek 190 Versatile Anniversary Edition for sale with 105,000 miles. We haven't had an inspection yet but plan on doing so at some point.
So far we've discovered that it has had 5 owners after purchasing a title history report. The asking price seems fair according to our research.

Owners and how long they owned it.
1st - 11 years
2nd - 4 years
3rd - 3 years
4th - 1 year
5th - 2 months (current seller) Reason given was non-life threatening health problems.

QUESTION: Any red flags here we should be concerned about or is this a normal pattern of ownership?
This will be purchased from an individual, not a dealer.

The van itself was in near immaculate condition both inside and out. Smelled fresh with no major stains or signs of wear. It has been newly painted. My husband drove it for about 10 miles and said it drives like a van. Period. He liked the way it drove. During the test drive we only noticed that the windshield wipers need replacing and the AC has one speed - high only.
The seller gave a thorough overview of the features, but we did not actually test the functioning of the stove, fridge, toilet, heater, etc. We will when we return.
Other tips appreciated. Thanks.

Threatening health problems is BS. They are selling it like everyone else because it is way too small to really be considered an RV. They always seem so attractive to newbys because of the great gas mileage and the ability to park it anywhere. But the reality is it is just way too small. There are some people who love them and use them for years, like the first owner. In the real world you drive your RV about 5% of the time and you live in it 95% of the time so it only makes sense to maximize it for living, not for driving. I have been living in RVs full time for a long time. I started with a van, traded that for a class C, then went for a class A, 27 feet and then sold that and bought a 32 foot class A. It was not really big enough for me and my 3 cats but I made do until I could afford the 33 foot, 3 slides fifth wheel. I finally have enough room. Two people and two dogs in a class B would be torture for the dogs.

I both agree and disagree with SeilerBird here, it all depends on what you are after, having owned a couple of similar sized camper vans 15-20 years ago, though ones that were less fancy (I never owned one with a generator), they make a great upgrade compared to a tent, they also make a good day trip support vehicle for large festivals, sporting events, tent camping with the kids sleeping in the tent and mom and dad getting the somewhat real bed, etc.  Basically anywhere having your own bathroom (if you can call a toilet in cabinet a bathroom), and kitchen is a plus.  The big advantage to a van like this is that it will fit in a standard parking space, and is not much taller than an SUV, unlike larger class B's with roof mounted air conditioners, the downside is with the limited space it can get very claustrophobic when stuck inside in bad weather in a campground.

Lots of the usual warnings about used RV's roof construction, wood rot potential does not apply much here as it is far more van than RV though you still want to check out the RV system, the refrigerator in particular as it is likely near the end of its useful life, note old RV refrigerators can be a fire hazard due to leaking flammable refrigerant  (check for yellowish corrosion under the refrigerator  outside vents), other things like the propane regulator and rubber propane hoses should be checked/replaced, along with generally anything made from rubber on a vehicle this age, including belts, hoses, suspension bushings, etc.     

Thanks SeilerBird for answering. We're not at the full time RV lifestyle stage yet. maybe someday. sigh. The one time our older German shepherd acts like an excited puppy is going for car rides now. As long as she could watch the scenery go by and lay down for a while she'd be in doggie heaven.. I think and based on past car trips. The beagle, unlike the GSD, can stay happily with anyone who feeds her and would likely only be along for closer day trips. She associates the car with the vet and will get in but is not overjoyed about it.

Good tip on the fridge Isaac-1. Duly noted and will check it out.  This is mainly to visit family which is spread out over the south and northeast mostly.
We like the size, so no one has to wonder where the heck it's going to get parked.

(New here so not sure how to reply individually.)

If you don't plan on living in the van while visiting the relatives it might work ok for the road trip portion, sleeping in the van in campgrounds for a couple of nights on the road going each way, though personally having owned a large dog (our 120 pound mastiff passed away last summer at the age of 9.5), I would want a bigger coach, I would even consider my 28 ft class A to be marginal for travel with 2 people and a large dog, even on shorter trips.

If you are going to seriously consider something this small, I would suggest at a minimum go and sit in it as if you were in a campground in the rain for an hour or so.  Move around as if you were going about your evening routine, and then ask if this would make you miserable after a few days.  My coach is non-traditional with no separate bedroom, instead the bed lowers from the living room ceiling, this allows for a much larger kitchen and bathroom than one would otherwise expect in a 28 ft coach (6x6 ft bathroom with corner shower, and nearly 7 feet of kitchen countertop space).  The downside is no private space when traveling with ones spouse, etc. which can be a big issue for some people.  My wife and I are often in the same room even at our sticks and bricks house, though here there are separate rooms, if even just for a few minutes, she will be gone to the kitchen, or I may be watching TV in the living room, while she reads in bed, etc.. In our coach there is none of that, and sometimes on trips after being together 24 hours per day, after a couple of days I will find myself just going into the bathroom, closing the door and standing there for 5 minutes just to have a moment of alone time.

We have a class C that's 33' bumper to bumper. There's two of us and a 16# dog. For camping and trips up to about a week, it's great. Due to a quick sale of our house, we are now living in it. It's doable, but not ideal for fulltiming. There's things like a too small bathroom and living area that is something that we didn't mind when using it for a short term but gets old when fulltiming. It's all in how you are going to use it. Kinda like a tent. Great for camping, not so great to live in.

Sorry about the loss of your mastiff Isaac. They are like family. My 99 lb. GSD is going to be nine soon. I've got about 15 lbs. on her. Nine is getting up there for a German shepherd. I hear what you're saying about cabin fever. I have no idea how much longer she'll be with me, so I'll put up with the discomfort for a while and I know I will have given her a new lease on life in her old age. she'll love the travel; I know my dog.
Me? Well, I'm going to find out. She's never left my side in nine years.

kdbgoat. Yeah. it's kind of like a tent on wheels. We're not yet able to go full-time RV lifestyle. I would have happily traded in a house for a monster RV years ago, but both people have to be on board for that and he was not. Who knows. Maybe someday I can say, "Yep. We started out in 1999 Roadtrek..."
It's not a done deal until it passes inspection within reason and I'm still checking out other options in the meantime.

Can anyone tell me how to reply individually? I see only one reply button.

By replying individually, I assume you mean to individuals and not have the message be seen on the forum. As Seilerbird said, you are now able to do so. To do this click the little icon that looks like a conversation cloud found under your screen name on the left and using screen name of the person you wish to contact .

Alfa38User said:
By replying individually, I assume you mean to individuals and not have the message be seen on the forum. As Seilerbird said, you are now able to do so. To do this click the little icon that looks like a conversation cloud found under your screen name on the left and using screen name of the person you wish to contact .

I think I figured it out. I hit the Quote button which shows the reply again and puts my reply to theirs in context and to whom so it makes sense to anyone else reading it.
Been a while since I was on a forum of any kind and it came back to me. I think. Here goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom