Fading Levelers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
Got a strange one here. We change campgrounds every two or three days. When we arrive, I level the bus. The next day the front levelers have backed off about an inch. The rears stay where I put them. I drop the fronts again and they seem to stay the second time. Anyone ever experience this? Any suggestions?

A related question: Anyone know where the leveling fluid reservoir is? OK, one more: What do they use for fluid?
Thanks!

I can't help on specifics for your model, like where the reservoir is located, though this is likely a problem with one of your solenoid valves, sometimes it is just a bit of grit caught in the valve, manually opening and closing the solenoid manual bypass may clear it out.

Most use automatic transmission fluid, though don't fill without following specific instructions for your model as over filling can cause problems.

Isaac-1 said:
Most use automatic transmission fluid, though don't fill without following specific instructions for your model as over filling can cause problems.
Note that ATF will leave a red stain when it leaks.  HWH (and probably others) sells hydraulic fluid without the red dye.

1: Valve is leaking more than likely else you'd have fluid pooling on the pads (Feet) of the levelers

2: have someone listen for the pump and locate it while you extend the jacks. Reservoir is bolted to the pump so where one is. so is the other.

3: usually Automatic Transmission fluid.  But a sticker on the Reservoir will tell you for sure.

Your Bounder probably has a Power Gear leveling system and those call for Dexron III ATF. 

The symptoms indicate a leaky valve for the front jack line. The PG system uses a single hydraulic line for the two front jacks, so that the two act as a single unit and self-level.  The fluid from a leaky valve just drains back into the reservoir, not out on the ground.  If you see fluid on the ground, the jack itself or the hose is leaking.

Never add fluid when any jack is deployed. Raise them fully before checking or adding fluid.

If this is a gas-engine Bounder, the hydraulic reservoir and pump is probably located on the firewall up front, likely buried low to one side or the other. The control valves will also be there, right at the pump. If a rear diesel, the reservoir & pump is probably at the rear, usually on the passenger side in most Fleetwood coaches.  That's just guesswork based on other years and models, though.

Thank you All
Now I have somewhere to start.
I will let you know what I find out.
Jim

Heck, I missed this.
The pump and reservoir for the leveling system is in the house battery compartment behind the driver's front wheel.  Remove the back panel of the compartment(4 screws)and there it is.  I usually throw an old towel I don't care about on top of the batteries when I'm going to work in that area to keep from shorting something out or getting acid on my arms or shirt.
I think Gary is probably right on his diagnosis of a leaky valve for your system, however my problem was different than yours. 
I had a couple of the actual jacks leaking after the first season living in our coach.  I discovered that there were no factory rebuild kits available for the rear jacks, but I took all the jacks off and took them to a commercial hydraulic shop.  They repacked all four jacks for around $200 each, and we haven't leaked a drop since.

Thanks Wally
I don't have fluid leaking, just the rams retracting about an inch a day after we stop somewhere. Thank you for telling us where the reservoir is.
I will dig into that area next time we stop. As for a truly leaking leveler I have this story: When we were at Gettysburg, at one campground, we had the rear passenger side leveler leaking fluid enough to soak the wooded blocks. Long story short, it hasn't happened since and we did nothing other than try to find a replacement or a rebuild shop. Now, when we set up, I make sure all levelers have two wooden blocks under them. My theory is that the leveler was over extended. We have not had fluid leaking from any leveler since. May have saved us a ton of money.

Yeah, I've got a couple of sets of those LEGO blocks and usually stack half a set under each pad.  Great minds think alike.
Mine didn't start leaking until we'd been in the coach about 6 months.  I have one ram that is really pitted.  The shop filled the pits with steel epoxy and wouldn't warranty that one ram.  I figure when it starts to leak again, I'll go to Colaw in Missouri and get a used one.
Had 'em done in Little Rock right after we got back from the Canyon last Oct. and haven't seen a drop of fluid since.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom