When should trailer tires be considered used enough to replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonPam

I have a 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2950RL that I have pulled in excess of 17,000 miles and expect to hit 20,000 by end of the season. The existing tires were original Westlake tires, wear is good, they hold air (I check every time we roll) and have only needed to add air one time after coming down from the Tetons. My best recollection tells me they?ve been curbed twice carefully in parking lot maneuvers. There are no visible blemishes, bulges or cracks.
When should the tires be replaced? A person has implied to me it is time. It?s crowd sourcing time.?

As the other person said so long as you are not going way over tire's weight rating
Trailer tires 7-10 years.

Trailer tires do not normally "Wear out" but after 7 years they may age out. That said I've pulled trailers with 20 year old tires on 'em.. but.... The trailer was empty.. and I was pulling it to the recycle place.

I had Westlakes on our 2016 Reflection until Tuesday when one blew out. I replaced all four with Goodyear Endurance. The 3 left will go on my hunting 5th wheel with 8 year old tires.

I'd be more inclined to give trailer tires a useful life of only 5 years.  That's because they are almost always running near 100% of max load and max speed (65 mph for nearly all ST tires).  If your trailer uses LT tires (higher speed rating) and have some reserve load capacity, say 10%-15% excess, then 7-8 years is more reasonable.

Part of the answer will depend on how risk-adverse you are. If having a blown tire on the roadside is not a really scary proposition for you, you can run them till one blows.  Chances are the others will be close behind, so change them all at that point.  Be aware, though, that a blown tire on a trailer often causes body, plumbing or wiring damage.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'd be more inclined to give trailer tires a useful life of only 5 years.  That's because they are almost always running near 100% of max load and max speed (65 mph for nearly all ST tires).  If your trailer uses LT tires (higher speed rating) and have some reserve load capacity, say 10%-15% excess, then 7-8 years is more reasonable.

Part of the answer will depend on how risk-adverse you are. If having a blown tire on the roadside is not a really scary proposition for you, you can run them till one blows.  Chances are the others will be close behind, so change them all at that point.  Be aware, though, that a blown tire on a trailer often causes body, plumbing or wiring damage.

I have always followed the 5-year rule on all my vehicles, unless of course the tread is near worn sooner, not likely with a recreational vehicle.  There are some who will say time can be extended to 7-years, which is risk I am not willing to take.

Rene T said:
Purchase a TPMS system

Agree with this. However, the TPMS will not help with a sudden tire failure. At least it can help with something like a leak or overtemp, but not a catastrophic failure.

Thank you all!
As for my weights, my tires are rated at 2500# per tire x 4 tires or 10,000#. I?ve been running, last official check 400# below GVWR of 9000# so there is a minor margin of comfort. I drive often at 70MPH, which is 5MPH below the design max.

Given the answers you all provided it sounds like I ought to be ok a few more years as long as I stay on track regarding weights, air pressure and speed.

Thanks again!

By my calculations, and a bit of rounding, a 9000# GVWR , means 1000#  hitch wt and 8000# riding on the tires.  This is 2000# per tire, or 80% capacity - a decent margin.  You drive below the rated speed.  You check pressure regularly.  Check the date code on the tires to verify age.  I would not replace them until they begin giving problems or 5 years. old.  TPMS is a GREAT safety measure as well!

Hammster said:
Agree with this. However, the TPMS will not help with a sudden tire failure. At least it can help with something like a leak or overtemp, but not a catastrophic failure.

Agree and not a substitute for a sooner rather than later replacement of tires.

Hammster said:

I can a-test to that. Aired up all the 4 year old (OEM Westlake's) to 80 psi, per the Reflection placard, the day before a 130 mile trip. TPMS on. I had cycled the TPMS about 5 miles before... all was well, tire psi's were running at +/- 80 in the 90+* degree range.. when the left front Tire Tread completely separated from the tire body.. all in one piece.. as if it had been cut.. where the tread meets the tire sidewall. The [tire] never went flat. As soon as I got to a safe place to pull off the road, I checked the TPMS.. that tire still was at 82 psi, at 94*.

In light of the above.. in just my opinion.. I think there's something to be questioned about running tires at their Max psi.. COLD.. for their Max Load Rating.. when you factor in Trailer Weight, Tire Age,  Road Heat (build up), and ambient road temps ?  We're towing with many of our OEM tires... at "The Red Line" ??

Big Joe,
Can you say what mileage you had on your Westlakes when the first one self destructed?

?I can a-test to that. Aired up all the 4 year old (OEM Westlake's) to 80 psi, per the Reflection placard, the day before a 130 mile trip. TPMS on. I had cycled the TPMS about 5 miles before... all was well, tire psi's were running at +/- 80 in the 90+* degree range.. when the left front Tire Tread completely separated from the tire body.. all in one piece.. as if it had been cut.. where the tread meets the tire sidewall. The [tire] never went flat. As soon as I got to a safe place to pull off the road, I checked the TPMS.. that tire still was at 82 psi, at 94*.

In light of the above.. in just my opinion.. I think there's something to be questioned about running tires at their Max psi.. COLD.. for their Max Load Rating.. when you factor in Trailer Weight, Tire Age,  Road Heat (build up), and ambient road temps ?  We're towing with many of our OEM tires... at "The Red Line" ???

DonPam said:
Big Joe,
Can you say what mileage you had on your Westlakes when the first one self destructed?

Yes.. Approx 20,200.. from the date of trailer purchase. (I routinely log towing miles on Trip "B", on the speedo)

Back
Top Bottom