Battery Tray Stuck by Post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamblingJohn

Hey guys, this may seem like a silly problem but my rig has a real nice battery tray that slides out to make servicing the batteries easy. The only problem is there's a stupid post locking the tray in place and it's stubborn as hell! I'm going to keep oiling it in the hopes that one day it will break free but does anyone have any other ideas? Worst comes to worse I could cut it off with an angle grinder but it looks like a little screwdriver is supposed to go in the hole and remove the post to extend the batteries.

Attachments

• batt2.jpg
    batt2.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 170
  • batt1.jpg
    batt1.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 158
I'm assuming it's threaded at the bottom and unscrews to remove the post and allows the drawer to come out? 

Large pair of vise grips might work after a bunch of PB Blaster has been applied for a day or so.

Maybe quarter turn and pull????  However, it's gotta turn first for that to work!
Just remember, don't force it, get a bigger pair of pliers!

grashley said:
Maybe quarter turn and pull????  However, it's gotta turn first for that to work!
Just remember, don't force it, get a bigger pair of pliers!

I'm getting really frustrated with it. I'm going to remove the batteries and try to heat it up with a torch like John from Detroit suggested. It's a really nice setup if the tray can actually roll out. The way it is now SUCKS. Worst come to worse, I'm going to grind that stud off and use something else to hold the tray in.

Also, looks like you've got a wheel missing.
Can you get to the bottom side where the pin would come through. You may be able to see if the hole or pin is  threaded.

Rene T said:
Also, looks like you've got a wheel missing.
Can you get to the bottom side where the pin would come through. You may be able to see if the hole or pin is  threaded.

I thought there may be a wheel missing too but I think that's just the design. That piece of metal goes nearly down to the floor so there isn't room for another wheel. Unfortunately, I can't get to the bottom of the pin.

To me, it looks like the part that has the pin is itselfa shelf. It that would pull out, then the battery tray could roll out. I would try to explore what is in that space between the bottom of the compartment and the deck with the pin. Just guessing.

It is possible the pin goes down but .. Doubtful. but possible.  PB Blaster or Cyclo Break-away. Then let it sit. then wack it with a hammer a few times. repeat oh say about 10 times (Do not wack too hard don't want to Mushroom the pin or bend it) then see what happens.

I can?t tell for sure from the picture, but does that pin have an arrow stamped into the top? Might that be some kind of clue?
Also, the pin looks like it?s two pieces... could it be that the top part turns and comes out, leaving the bottom in place? It also looks like there?s a hole in the side near the top..
Place to stick a screwdriver or something similar for a handle?

RamblingJohn said:
I thought there may be a wheel missing too but I think that's just the design. That piece of metal goes nearly down to the floor so there isn't room for another wheel. Unfortunately, I can't get to the bottom of the pin.

Strange there are only 3 wheels.
Looking at the pin, It does appear 2 be two pieces as BoomerD said.  Make sure you add penetrating oil at that joint. That may be where it comes apart.

BoomerD said:
I can’t tell for sure from the picture, but does that pin have an arrow stamped into the top? Might that be some kind of clue?
Also, the pin looks like it’s two pieces... could it be that the top part turns and comes out, leaving the bottom in place? It also looks like there’s a hole in the side near the top..
Place to stick a screwdriver or something similar for a handle?

It does look like in the picture that there may be an arrow, but there isn't. There is a hole though; presumably to give leverage to unscrew the pin. The problem is, it's so small that any screwdriver I put in there will break or be bent. I agree, it is two pieces. I think it's supposed to twist out but no amount of pliers/screwdrivers has gotten it free.

I don't have PB Blaster, never heard of it until coming around here, but I am oiling it with 3-in-1 oil constantly.

A large vise grip clamped really tight and a three foot pipe over the vice grip handle should break it loose. If that doesn't work get out the old grinder and have at it. 

RamblingJohn said:
I don't have PB Blaster, never heard of it until coming around here, but I am oiling it with 3-in-1 oil constantly.

Using a lubricating oil won't do much. What you need is a penetrating oil. It's much thinner in viscosity and will work into the threads or cracks.

Is there access to the pin from underneath the coach.  May it actually has a bolt head you can get a socket on from underneath.
PB Blaster is the bomb when it come to rusted bolts.  I ran a car restoration shop for about 10 years and used a ton of it.

Back
Top Bottom