rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Clip On Awning Screening  (Read 466 times)

Murphcrud

• ---
  • Over 50 years Experience of Sealants and Caulking
Clip On Awning Screening
« on: September 15, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have been seeing a few RVs that have a mesh screen attached to their awnings to form a bug free (well close to it)
environment.  Can any one tell me where I can purchase one and any tips as what is good and bad  about these?  I have a 20 ft awning and am hoping that there might be a method to fasten a smaller one (12 ft) to this 20 ft awning.  Perhaps I should be considering a 'stand alone' unit.
Much appreciated.

Harv
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:44:12 AM by Murphcrud »

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
Re: Clip On Awning Screening
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »
Ebay, Amazon, camping World all sell them

Covering about half might be possible if you have a center arm. Just measure and buy the size that will fit between the outside arm and the center arm You might have to modify the room some
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  No center arm on my awning

Sprucegum

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 03:21:37 PM »
Your awning roller most likely has a groove running the length of it You can fit 1/4 “ tubing in there. Cut 2” length of tubing, run paracord through it and tie ends to create a small loop. Now you can hang anything anywhere along your awning  8)
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
Before buying you should do some serous checking about the feasibility of doing it.  There are certain parts of the country (like the desert southwest) where winds come up very suddenly and we never leave awnings extended if we're not there.  Then there are automatic awnings with wind sensors that bring in the awning it there's a gust.  You sure don't want a lot of "stuff' attached to an awning like that!  It would have to be an awning that can be tied down really well so it won't go flying in the wind.  You don't say what type of motorhome you have but if it's a painted exterior then awnings, and screened rooms, can ruin the paint under certain conditions.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:41:53 PM »
Hi,
We don't travel to Western US, only South Florida.  What conditions can awnings ruin the paint?
My MH is 10 years old, and it probably looks better than most 4 year old units.  I have a Fleetwood Jamboree 30H. 

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:43:11 PM »
Your awning roller most likely has a groove running the length of it You can fit 1/4 “ tubing in there. Cut 2” length of tubing, run paracord through it and tie ends to create a small loop. Now you can hang anything anywhere along your awning  8)

Interesting.  Thanks

cpaulsen

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:48:27 AM »
Or you can buy shade cloth at HD,Lowes and other places.....comes in all sizes and colors. We bought a charcola brown....6'X20' and use springs clips to attach to awning.
2008 Ford F250/CC/SB/V-10/2018 Montana 330RL

jtjimbo

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 07:46:54 AM »
 I got mine from here, a little pricey but good quality. A small section rolls up with the awning then when you put the awning out you attach the rest by zipper.

http://sunpromfg.net/rv-awning-drops/

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have been seeing a few RVs that have a mesh screen attached to their awnings to form a bug free (well close to it)
environment.  Can any one tell me where I can purchase one and any tips as what is good and bad  about these?  I have a 20 ft awning and am hoping that there might be a method to fasten a smaller one (12 ft) to this 20 ft awning.  Perhaps I should be considering a 'stand alone' unit.
Much appreciated.

Harv

Your statement is a little confusing. Are you looking  for a sun blocker screen which just slides in the slot of the awning roll or a screen house because you mention something that is bug free?  Two completely different things but are both available for RV's.  The screen is only for filtering out the sun. We have one for that and love it.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »
What conditions can awnings ruin the paint?

We have a friend who has automatic awnings on a very expensive coach.  He was parked on a bluff overlooking a NASCAR track when a gust of wind blew his awning up and over the coach.  He had to take it to the factory not only to have the paint repaired but to repair the gouges put in the exterior siding by the flying awning.  We're very careful leaving awnings out.

ArdraF
ArdraF

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »
We have a friend who has automatic awnings on a very expensive coach.  He was parked on a bluff overlooking a NASCAR track when a gust of wind blew his awning up and over the coach.  He had to take it to the factory not only to have the paint repaired but to repair the gouges put in the exterior siding by the flying awning.  We're very careful leaving awnings out.

ArdraF

That is like saying 'My very inexpensive car, was parked on a hill while watching a sandlot baseball game, and the parking brake failed, allowing the car to roll into the empty ballpark bleachers, causing further paint and dent issues, these will go unrepaired as have others on my vehicle.  I am very careful as well and have never watched another sandlot game'.

That comment of mine is as ridiculous as yours.

Thanks for your advice.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »
How about answering my question in reply #9.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 07:50:39 PM »
How about answering my question in reply #9.

I never mentioned anything about a sun blocker.  That is why I mentioned a screened area to keep out bugs.  The type I was referring to actually clip on to the outer edge s of the awning.
I have purchased a stand alone type today so we can now close this thread.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 08:19:20 PM »
I never mentioned anything about a sun blocker.  That is why I mentioned a screened area to keep out bugs.  The type I was referring to actually clip on to the outer edge s of the awning.
I have purchased a stand alone type today so we can now close this thread.

When you said "a mesh screen attached to their awnings" that is typically a sunblocker That's why I brought it up. Sorry for misunstanding you.

https://www.amazon.com/15-Charcoal-Vista-Shade-Zipper/dp/B00DV7FB4Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1537147197&sr=8-9&keywords=sunblocker+rv+awning
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:25:56 PM by Rene T »
AKA  Pep N Mem

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »
That is like saying 'My very inexpensive car, was parked on a hill while watching a sandlot baseball game, and the parking brake failed, allowing the car to roll into the empty ballpark bleachers, causing further paint and dent issues, these will go unrepaired as have others on my vehicle.  I am very careful as well and have never watched another sandlot game'.

That comment of mine is as ridiculous as yours.

Thanks for your advice.

Nothing ridiculous at all: it's good solid advice. Leaving an awning extended while away is never a good idea, automatic or not. I've seen storms pop up out of nowhere many times, where awnings have gone flying.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
Nothing ridiculous at all: it's good solid advice. Leaving an awning extended while away is never a good idea, automatic or not. I've seen storms pop up out of nowhere many times, where awnings have gone flying.

I think that you totally missed my sarcasm.  If I have to explain it, well ------, you missed it.

Anyway, Of course, I too would not leave my RV with awning extended even it was fastened down because as you state " storms pop up out of nowhere ".

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 05:03:00 PM »
Just so there's no misunderstanding - our friend was sitting under his awning when the gust came up.  There was absolutely nothing he could do to prevent it.  You asked how paint can be damaged by an awning and that's what I answered.

ArdraF
ArdraF

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 06:15:20 PM »
Just so there's no misunderstanding - our friend was sitting under his awning when the gust came up.  There was absolutely nothing he could do to prevent it.  You asked how paint can be damaged by an awning and that's what I answered.

ArdraF

"There was absolutely nothing he could do to prevent it", you say.

And that is where you are so wrong --- he could have prevented it by using tie downs.  Most people do that -- and if they don't, they most definitely should.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 07:11:08 PM »
I can't tie down my electric awning - it's simply not designed that way. Fortunately, I was able to bend the arms back into position after trying.

It also can't be used in the rain. There's no way to drop one end, so any water that collects will cause the arms to collapse and bend.

I have an expensive sun shade that can only be used on dry days with no wind.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
Like HappyWanderer, I can’t tie down my electronic awning the same as I could my manual awning. The legs are totally different, and, IMHO, not nearly as secure. We had a complete room that attached to,our pop up,years ago. It was glorious for a week at the lake or other longer trips. It took too much effort to put up overnight, but it sure helped out in rain or bad bugs. To feel comfortable that it wouldn’t blow away I had to run a strap over my awning and tie that down at both ends, then use stakes on the awning arms into the ground, then use tie downs with spiral hooks that went deep into the ground. Then the room zipped on and also got itstie downs appropriately secured. It was a lot of bother. Now we just use a Clam brand screen room separate from the awning.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 07:09:18 AM »
"There was absolutely nothing he could do to prevent it", you say.

And that is where you are so wrong --- he could have prevented it by using tie downs.  Most people do that -- and if they don't, they most definitely should.

Many people, yes -- most people, probably not, at least from what I've seen over the years. And, as indicated in some posts above, many of us cannot tie it down. I'd need a ladder to reach mine, even when fully extended, and then I'd have to find a way to defeat the automatic retract. And, as also mentioned above, there's no way to tilt it to let rain run off. And in many places here in the west, some of those gusts that come up could rip it right out, even when it's tied down, so I wouldn't tie it down if I could.

And it's mounted high enough that the shade it provides is minimal, a lot of the time. That's one of the few things about my coach that is not that great, but the slides on that side would interfere with one mounted much lower.

Many rigs aren't designed as yours is, and many places aren't as gentle as seems to be the case where you go, based on your comments above. Be careful about such sweeping statements.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:13:52 AM by Larry N. »
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 07:39:50 AM »
Many people, yes -- most people, probably not, at least from what I've seen over the years. And, as indicated in some posts above, many of us cannot tie it down. I'd need a ladder to reach mine, even when fully extended, and then I'd have to find a way to defeat the automatic retract. And, as also mentioned above, there's no way to tilt it to let rain run off. And in many places here in the west, some of those gusts that come up could rip it right out, even when it's tied down, so I wouldn't tie it down if I could.

And it's mounted high enough that the shade it provides is minimal, a lot of the time. That's one of the few things about my coach that is not that great, but the slides on that side would interfere with one mounted much lower.

Many rigs aren't designed as yours is (you don't say what that is), and many places aren't as gentle as seems to be the case where you go, based on your comments above. Be careful about such sweeping statements.

"quote  'Be careful about such sweeping statements'
Well my friend, if I were you, I would carry a ladder and at least attach guide ropes to your awning in the event of these high winds that you obviously have out west.  Of course, if you have automatic retracts and they are set correctly, you shouldn't have to worry.  So, my question is --- why are you replying to this thread if you already have automatic retracts????
'MOST OF US DO NOT', and you can take that statement to the bank.  An added note to your feed, where was it ever mentioned on my post about 'rain runoff'.  My awning does not have that to be a concern.

So I suggest that you heed your own warning of issuing sweeping statements.

Happy RVing in windy Colorado.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »
Another option, as long as the awning is high enough and it's convenient to the entry door, is to purchase a 10x10 or 12x12 stand-alone screen room and place it under the awning. This way you have about half and half and you could even move the screen room around depending on each site you visit.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Murphcrud

• ---
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
Another option, as long as the awning is high enough and it's convenient to the entry door, is to purchase a 10x10 or 12x12 stand-alone screen room and place it under the awning. This way you have about half and half and you could even move the screen room around depending on each site you visit.

Exactly !   Awning is definitely high enough and actually covers the entry door as well.  That is what we will do as we just purchased a screen room.
Thank you.