Clip On Awning Screening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphcrud

Hi Guys,

I have been seeing a few RVs that have a mesh screen attached to their awnings to form a bug free (well close to it)
environment.  Can any one tell me where I can purchase one and any tips as what is good and bad  about these?  I have a 20 ft awning and am hoping that there might be a method to fasten a smaller one (12 ft) to this 20 ft awning.  Perhaps I should be considering a 'stand alone' unit.
Much appreciated.

Harv

Your awning roller most likely has a groove running the length of it You can fit 1/4 “ tubing in there. Cut 2” length of tubing, run paracord through it and tie ends to create a small loop. Now you can hang anything anywhere along your awning  8)

Before buying you should do some serous checking about the feasibility of doing it.  There are certain parts of the country (like the desert southwest) where winds come up very suddenly and we never leave awnings extended if we're not there.  Then there are automatic awnings with wind sensors that bring in the awning it there's a gust.  You sure don't want a lot of "stuff' attached to an awning like that!  It would have to be an awning that can be tied down really well so it won't go flying in the wind.  You don't say what type of motorhome you have but if it's a painted exterior then awnings, and screened rooms, can ruin the paint under certain conditions.

ArdraF

Hi,
We don't travel to Western US, only South Florida.  What conditions can awnings ruin the paint?
My MH is 10 years old, and it probably looks better than most 4 year old units.  I have a Fleetwood Jamboree 30H. 

Sprucegum said:
Your awning roller most likely has a groove running the length of it You can fit 1/4 ? tubing in there. Cut 2? length of tubing, run paracord through it and tie ends to create a small loop. Now you can hang anything anywhere along your awning  8)

Interesting.  Thanks

Or you can buy shade cloth at HD,Lowes and other places.....comes in all sizes and colors. We bought a charcola brown....6'X20' and use springs clips to attach to awning.

I got mine from here, a little pricey but good quality. A small section rolls up with the awning then when you put the awning out you attach the rest by zipper.

http://sunpromfg.net/rv-awning-drops/

Murphcrud said:
Hi Guys,

I have been seeing a few RVs that have a mesh screen attached to their awnings to form a bug free (well close to it)
environment.  Can any one tell me where I can purchase one and any tips as what is good and bad  about these?  I have a 20 ft awning and am hoping that there might be a method to fasten a smaller one (12 ft) to this 20 ft awning.  Perhaps I should be considering a 'stand alone' unit.
Much appreciated.

Harv

Your statement is a little confusing. Are you looking  for a sun blocker screen which just slides in the slot of the awning roll or a screen house because you mention something that is bug free?  Two completely different things but are both available for RV's.  The screen is only for filtering out the sun. We have one for that and love it.

What conditions can awnings ruin the paint?

We have a friend who has automatic awnings on a very expensive coach.  He was parked on a bluff overlooking a NASCAR track when a gust of wind blew his awning up and over the coach.  He had to take it to the factory not only to have the paint repaired but to repair the gouges put in the exterior siding by the flying awning.  We're very careful leaving awnings out.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We have a friend who has automatic awnings on a very expensive coach.  He was parked on a bluff overlooking a NASCAR track when a gust of wind blew his awning up and over the coach.  He had to take it to the factory not only to have the paint repaired but to repair the gouges put in the exterior siding by the flying awning.  We're very careful leaving awnings out.

ArdraF

That is like saying 'My very inexpensive car, was parked on a hill while watching a sandlot baseball game, and the parking brake failed, allowing the car to roll into the empty ballpark bleachers, causing further paint and dent issues, these will go unrepaired as have others on my vehicle.  I am very careful as well and have never watched another sandlot game'.

That comment of mine is as ridiculous as yours.

Thanks for your advice.

Rene T said:
How about answering my question in reply #9.

I never mentioned anything about a sun blocker.  That is why I mentioned a screened area to keep out bugs.  The type I was referring to actually clip on to the outer edge s of the awning.
I have purchased a stand alone type today so we can now close this thread.

Murphcrud said:
I never mentioned anything about a sun blocker.  That is why I mentioned a screened area to keep out bugs.  The type I was referring to actually clip on to the outer edge s of the awning.
I have purchased a stand alone type today so we can now close this thread.

When you said "a mesh screen attached to their awnings" that is typically a sunblocker That's why I brought it up. Sorry for misunstanding you.

https://www.amazon.com/15-Charcoal-Vista-Shade-Zipper/dp/B00DV7FB4Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1537147197&sr=8-9&keywords=sunblocker+rv+awning

Murphcrud said:
That is like saying 'My very inexpensive car, was parked on a hill while watching a sandlot baseball game, and the parking brake failed, allowing the car to roll into the empty ballpark bleachers, causing further paint and dent issues, these will go unrepaired as have others on my vehicle.  I am very careful as well and have never watched another sandlot game'.

That comment of mine is as ridiculous as yours.

Thanks for your advice.

Nothing ridiculous at all: it's good solid advice. Leaving an awning extended while away is never a good idea, automatic or not. I've seen storms pop up out of nowhere many times, where awnings have gone flying.

HappyWanderer said:
Nothing ridiculous at all: it's good solid advice. Leaving an awning extended while away is never a good idea, automatic or not. I've seen storms pop up out of nowhere many times, where awnings have gone flying.

I think that you totally missed my sarcasm.  If I have to explain it, well ------, you missed it.

Anyway, Of course, I too would not leave my RV with awning extended even it was fastened down because as you state " storms pop up out of nowhere ".

Just so there's no misunderstanding - our friend was sitting under his awning when the gust came up.  There was absolutely nothing he could do to prevent it.  You asked how paint can be damaged by an awning and that's what I answered.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Just so there's no misunderstanding - our friend was sitting under his awning when the gust came up.  There was absolutely nothing he could do to prevent it.  You asked how paint can be damaged by an awning and that's what I answered.

ArdraF

"There was absolutely nothing he could do to prevent it", you say.

And that is where you are so wrong --- he could have prevented it by using tie downs.  Most people do that -- and if they don't, they most definitely should.

I can't tie down my electric awning - it's simply not designed that way. Fortunately, I was able to bend the arms back into position after trying.

It also can't be used in the rain. There's no way to drop one end, so any water that collects will cause the arms to collapse and bend.

I have an expensive sun shade that can only be used on dry days with no wind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom