Adjusting Awning Over Slideouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphcrud

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what is involved in adjusting the short awnings over a slideout on my MH.
I should have taken a pic so now I will have to try to verbalize a pic.  When the attached awning is extended out with the slideout, it is uneven from one end to the other.  The awning is tight on the right end of the roller and is in approximately 2-3" on the left side.  I would like to slide the awning over about 1 - 1 1/2" on the upper track to even it out on the roller.  I see that there is a screw holding the edge of the awning on the upper track, preventing it from moving (sliding).  I have removed that screw, intending to pull the awning over to even it out, but the awning refused to slide on that track.  I was hoping to force the awning to move over when I extended my slideouts.  I also noticed that the awning end stuck in the roller, is also going to be a project in itself, to attack.  I am assuming that these end caps on these rollers,have a mechanism in the them, similar to the balance springs on some older styles of garage doors. 
Any ideas, thoughts or comments as to how how I can make this adjustment?

If you are wanting to equal the roll up it's not to difficult. Depending on the awining. On mine I could open slide about a foot. I then unwound the tension about a 1/2 turn by hand. There is a hole to slide a rod through tube to hold tension off. Then take the small screws loose in fabric and move in slide on RV . Then test to see if it is rolling up even. The spring will be in the right end of the tube.

Thanks Ghostman.  I guess that I will just have to take a closer look.  I was able to rotate the roller by hand, as you stated, so I will now have to look closer and find the holding hole and see how the fabric is held in place.  Any idea why I am unable to slide the awning on the channel at the drip lip edge?  The channel does not appear to be kinked anywhere and as I previously stated, it was being held by a screw which I have removed.  I don't want to force it to a point of ripping it.

YouTube has some videos that might help.  We just replaced one of our slide toppers.  It's not perfect but it works.

A little silicone might help to lubricate the channel.  You definitely want to keep the rod from unrolling so find that hole and keep a screwdriver in it. 

Hope that helps.

It may be that there is a burr inside the track caused by the self tapping screw. I would open the slide all the way. Then with one person on a ladder, unroll the topper till the groove on the roller is exposed. Then with a person on the roof, remove the screw and both of you slide the material the amount need. Try this setting. If it's good, reinstall the screw.

Rene T said:
It may be that there is a burr inside the track caused by the self tapping screw. I would open the slide all the way. Then with one person on a ladder, unroll the topper till the groove on the roller is exposed. Then with a person on the roof, remove the screw and both of you slide the material the amount need. Try this setting. If it's good, reinstall the screw.

Thanks Rene, I will take a shot at this method.

Back
Top Bottom