Large, foldable map of the United States?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Looking for a LARGE, fold-out map of the US that might be useful for RV travel. We have all kinds of apps & atlases but have a need for something large on occasion.

I have one in front of me. 40" X 28". Still in the package. I'd give it to you if you were close by. They are available right here:

https://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Tree-United-States-Wall/dp/B00NPCVDEM/ref=asc_df_B00NPCVDEM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193843972444&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5189340817603544403&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058138&hvtargid=pla-309628953022&psc=1

Rene T said:
I have one in front of me. 40" X 28". Still in the package. I'd give it to you if you were close by. They are available right here:

https://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Tree-United-States-Wall/dp/B00NPCVDEM/ref=asc_df_B00NPCVDEM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193843972444&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5189340817603544403&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058138&hvtargid=pla-309628953022&psc=1

Hmmm... hard to tell from the pics but it doesn't look like it shows many highways. (?) Thanks for the offer however!  :)

jymbee said:
Hmmm... hard to tell from the pics but it doesn't look like it shows many highways. (?) Thanks for the offer however!  :)

I just took mine out of the package and it does NOT show the roads. I didn't know that's what you needed.

Why would you want a paper folding map when Google Maps are more up to date and contain a lot more useful information? Elevation, businesses, routing information, zoom ability and more.

Tom, you know there are still some of us dinosaurs who actually LIKE and PREFER paper maps.  ::)  I love AAA maps!  And yes I love my Garmin for navigating but I still like the "big picture" on my paper maps.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Tom, you know there are still some of us dinosaurs who actually LIKE and PREFER paper maps.  ::)  I love AAA maps!  And yes I love my Garmin for navigating but I still like the "big picture" on my paper maps.

ArdraF
I understand that completely Ardra. I was just wondering why? What advantage does a paper map have over a Google map? I used to love paper maps in the day but now they just seem so 20th century.

SeilerBird said:
I understand that completely Ardra. I was just wondering why? What advantage does a paper map have over a Google map? I used to love paper maps in the day but now they just seem so 20th century.

You can't spread a Google map out on the table and get the big picture.

I lived most of my life in the 20th century, and still like paper maps, too.  Google is easier to grab and look for something, but the paper offers good detail over a much larger area without the need to scroll or zoom.  Both have their place.

SeilerBird said:
I can get a bigger picture with a Google map. It can zoom out to show you the entire planet.
Is that so you can use your microscopic vision, Tom? When zoomed out that far, there's no detail, even on a 10" tablet,  where the detail stays the same on the paper map. Some of us actually need that -- the electronic stuff is too restricted in size -- in order to have a big picture AND detail simultaneously. As Ardra indicates, the electronics are great, but there are certain things they cannot do. For me, at least, it's the same with books and magazines -- the electronics are too restricted for me, and I can't get comfortable with them to read in my easy chair.

No help from me for the OP but in 2015 we stopped at an official rest area and visitor info center in Louisiana and picked up a new official state road map.  Shocked to find it had no mileages or Interstate Exit numbers on it.  I would hope by now they have corrected that.

I prefer Google maps/Google Earth for the most part for the convenience, and when I want to see "the big picture" better, I just cast/stream it from my laptop to the much larger TV screen. We still have an atlas and a few state maps on hand, but they're outdated and not useful for current conditions and routing.

I keep a stock of paper maps in the coach because we spend a lot of time with no cell or internet service.  Nice to dream about where we're headed next month or the month after.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom