Towing 5th wheel to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

I would like to tow our 5th wheel to Alaska in 2019.  It is 39 feet long and weighs approx 12,500 loaded. It has a residential fridge.  Would I have a problem finding campsites that could accommodate me or have any issues since I have the residential fridge?  Thanks

clockdrfla said:
I would like to tow our 5th wheel to Alaska in 2019.  It is 39 feet long and weighs approx 12,500 loaded. It has a residential fridge.  Would I have a problem finding campsites that could accommodate me or have any issues since I have the residential fridge?  Thanks

How would they know what style fridge you have?

Rene T said:
How would they know what style fridge you have?
I think he is referring to the increased electrical load. Personally I would not tow a fiver to Alaska. If I was going to go I would take the ferry.

I have been on the Alaska highway, it is no worse than many roads in the lower 48. Keep the speed down and enjoy the journey. I woukld be more concerned about how a residential fridge would stand up in an rv, they are not designed for constant motion and jarring.

We are planning on going to Alaska next year and are in a 42? fiver with residential fridge and plan to mostly boondock. If you Facebook, you should join the page: Rving to Alaska 2019. It?s for those planning to go and moderated by a couple who have been many times. They have a live chat every Monday evening on a different subject answering questions about RVing in Alaska. Lots of great information!

Maybe we will see you up there next summer!!

Vicki

clockdrfla said:

?If? we make the trip next year....we?ll be ?dragging? 20K pounds. As mentioned by others, for the most part, the roads are pretty good....at least from everything I?ve read. 

SeilerBird said:
I think he is referring to the increased electrical load. Personally I would not tow a fiver to Alaska. If I was going to go I would take the ferry.
Taking a ferry to Alaska is very expensive and not practical for most RVers. On top of that, you would miss the beauty in British Columbia and Alberta.
The roads on the way through Canada are pretty good and Alaska does a great job maintaining their roads. We have been with our 5er and not an issue. Best trip of our lives.

Stan

clockdrfla said:
If you plan accordingly, you will have no issues.  However there are a lot of GREAT campgrounds around that you may want to stay in that have no hook-ups.  One of those small 200W gennys could easily be used in these.  It doesn't need to run 24/7.  As long as you are not opening and closing the fridge and freezer it will hold for many hours.  Could run the genny during the day on and off to keep it cold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom