Stuck - Disassembling Suburban SF-35 air intake to replace blower motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer

Bought a 2004 Tiffin Allegro Class A a few months back from a private seller and turned on the furnace for the first time a week or so ago. It worked well for about 15 minutes, then we heard some loud squealing. I've taken the furnace out, looked it over, and am pretty sure it's something with the blower motor (the fan didn't spin freely at all, and when I tried connecting the motor directly to 12V source, it blew a 20A fuse).

Here's the rub?I've got the furnace out of the case, but I can't get the air inlet assembly to come apart. I've removed 7 screws (plus a tri-head safety screw that didn't look relevant, but removed it just in case) and it looks like it should just come right off, but something inside is still holding tight. Any ideas? What am I missing here?

In the attached images, I've circled the part that won't let go. You can see how the assembly around that part is loose, but at the circled area, it won't budge. There appears to be a little hole at the seam, like I should stick something in there and release a latch or something from the inside, but I tried and wasn't able to make any progress there, either.

Attachments

• IMG_20180916_115328.jpg
    IMG_20180916_115328.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20180916_115344.jpg
    IMG_20180916_115344.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 32
Answered my own question. I figured I needed to get in there either way, so I forced it open with a knife. Turns out the plastic fan in there had melted to the black plastic assembly, keeping it shut. So in theory, it should've come off just fine. Good news is that the motor itself is fine. Now I need to find a new air inlet assembly and fan.

Welcome to the Forum!

Looks like it should come apart.  Try forcing it with a knife?  ::)  8)  ;D  ;D

Glad you got it apart!  Thanks for reporting back to us.  Feel free to ask any other question that comes up!

Fan. (And motor) can be purchased at any Auto Parts Store.. And most junkyards (They will have the entire assembly) Got my last three at 1:Junkyard and 2: Junk yard and 3: Autozone.

NOTE the fan/motor assembly was just a couple dollars more than the fan by itself.

I've done 3 blower fixes in about 50 years of driving.

Thanks! Got the fan and assembly ordered from Amazon and will let you know how the repair goes when the parts get here and I have time to tackle it.

Back
Top Bottom