Towing with tundra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveDiesel

Hello all,
I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra 4WD V8 4.7L. Towing capacity=6700 lbs.
I think this means I should be looking at trailers with a GVWR of around 6000 lbs max?
Should I be looking at trailers 25 ft or less? Thanks. 

You may be a bit ambitious trying to pull 6000#.  That towing capacity means the build a model that looks like yours that will tow 6700#.  It DOES NOT mean yours can do it!  There is also a huge difference between towing 6700# of dirt or bricks and 6700# of Travel Trailer (TT).

I would suggest trying to stay between 5000# and 5500# for a much more enjoyable towing experience.

That model seems to  have a Payload capacity of  1,635 lbs. Please look at you sticker near the passenger door.
So first determine the weight of everything you plan to put into or on the Tundra.
People
animals
beer
tools
Hitch.
Subtract that from your payload capacity found on the sticker.
The leftover is the maximum Gross tongue weight you can handle. Figure 12% of trailer weight is transferred to the tongue.
Find your numbers and do the math.
Also the frontal area of the trailer will be a factor in how much weight you can safely handle.

Since you have a 2007 model, you may or may not have the yellow banner payload placard dars referred to.  You can also determine payload by filling the fuel tank and getting it weighed.  GVWR can be found on a tire label.  Subtract actual weight from GVWR to get remaining payload.
Anything in the truck when it was weighed does not need to be included twice.

Assuming a tongue wt of 12.5%, take the max Gross tongue wt calculated above (darsben post) and multiply by 8 to get the max TT  GVWR.

Back
Top Bottom