Repair facility recommendation--NH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msw3113

Screws that hold the trim on one corner of the "chin" area of our Cameo are popping loose and won't screw back in.  Trim piece therefore won't stay fastened to sidewall.  Underneath, the edge of the horizontal sheet metal in that corner is becoming exposed.  I fear that our unit has fallen prey to a somewhat common fault of the brand.

Even the work involved in taking the trim and sheet metal apart to inspect what may be underneath is waaay outside my modest skill set.  I'd be grateful for a recommendation of a facility in or abutting NH that can handle this kind of repair.  I will assume that welding, possibly aluminum welding, will be involved.  CW is close but not an option.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• chin sheet metal.jpg
    chin sheet metal.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Trim piece.jpg
    Trim piece.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 21
Removed the sheet metal and took the coach to a local welder.  Removal of the trim piece revealed more broken/rusted screws than anticipated.  However inspection found no broken bolts, bent or deformed metal, or broken welds.  Welder installed 20 feet of 2x2 square tubing, forming an "A" shape with the tips straddling the pinbox.  He added gussets and cross-bracing and tied the grid into another 2x2 piece in the front storage area.

While we didn't find any obvious defect, the added structural pieces will make me feel better.  As the welder said, "You've got enough on your mind when towing."

Will post again after we put some miles on it.

Attachments

• new welding curbside.jpg
    new welding curbside.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 20
  • new welding drivers side (Copy).jpg
    new welding drivers side (Copy).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 20
Trip from NH to TX revealed no new or returning issues.  All trim screws remain securely fastened and Dicor sealant adhering well to trim and side panels.
Rig seems quieter when raising/lowering for hitching operation, less creaking and groaning. 

Back
Top Bottom