To cover or not to cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebutcher95

I live in Massachusetts. We own a 2500 Durango.  So should we buy a cover for it or not and why or why not. 

thebutcher95 said:
I live in Massachusetts. We own a 2500 Durango.  So should we buy a cover for it or not and why or why not.

You'll get opinions on both sides. We always do this time of year.
My opinion is I would never cover my RV. The're made to sit out in the weather. If you put a cover on it and it's not tied down real good, it will flap in the wind and any grit on the inside of the cover will damage the RV finish.

Rene T said:
You'll get opinions on both sides. We always do this time of year.
My opinion is I would never cover my RV. The're made to sit out in the weather. If you put a cover on it and it's not tied down real good, it will flap in the wind and any grit on the inside of the cover will damage the RV finish.

I'm going to jump in if you don't mind. We are considering the same question, to cover or not to cover? My main concern is the a/c unit on the roof and the bubble windows in the roof. All points of entry into the living space, especially the bathroom and bedroom vents. Will they stay water tight with 8" of snow on them?

I bought a cover once.  After nearly being blown off by a gust of wind turning it into a Huge sail I decided that it wasn't worth getting my neck broken.

I know how to handle sails.

There are several sails, er, covers in our storage yard.  They invariably get loose and cause damage to the finish.  Unlesss you wish to replace them every year or two.

Lived in Alaska for many years. I built a high A frame that I covered with a plastic tarp. Most of the time the snow just slid off but sometimes I had to knock it off. The tarp was held down tight with bungee cords.

With this setup I could leave the vents open to get good ventilation and there wasn't any snow on the roof. If I didn't cover the roof we could get up to 3 feet of snow buildup. A lot of weight. Shoveling the snow off was hard because you had to be very very careful not to damage the roof with the shovel or break a vent etc.

We didn't get much wind so this worked out well. If you get a lot of wind in your area I wouldn't try it.

Attachments

• Boat & Pace Arrow.jpg
    Boat & Pace Arrow.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 39
Hanr3 said:
I'm going to jump in if you don't mind. We are considering the same question, to cover or not to cover? My main concern is the a/c unit on the roof and the bubble windows in the roof. All points of entry into the living space, especially the bathroom and bedroom vents. Will they stay water tight with 8" of snow on them?

Yes they will. I've never had one leak but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've never heard of it. All the RV's on dealer lots sit there all winter with much more than 8" of snow and no one shovels off their roofs.

I cover my 20' TT.  If for nothing else, to keep the sun off my graphics.  Mine is a 2012 model, and still looks almost brand new.  I cover the tires too, again, hoping to cut down on sun.  I cut up swim noodles, use blue tape, and cover all sharp corners,  It's a 4 hr process, but I like it wrapped up.

Id at least cover it enough to protect the roof

Knowing that the covers usually get damaged, torn, etc, - we bought a cheap cover for over the winter.  That way if its damaged over the course of storage, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about it. 

They may be built to be outside, but I don't want it wearing out quicker!

I've never covered ours. Not necessary, and it would be a pain to get in and exercise the generator.

I use the roof rake on the motorhome when snow gets deep, usually trying to keep it to less than a foot thick up there.

I'm in the no cover camp. Years back I did cover our first TT for one or two years but didn't really see the benefit. I have shoveled the roof a few times on our prior TTs but on our 5er I use one of those soft "snow pushers" that car dealers use. If I feel there is too much snow up there just set up the ladder and push the snow off but never get all the way down to the roof itself. I have both a mental and actual map of everything on the roof so I can be sure to avoid sensitive items like the skylight over the shower.

If you believe that RVs are made for outside and need no protection, then you also need to believe that paint doesn't fade, decals don't curl, vinyl inserts don't shrink, skylights don't crack, vents don't get brittle, frames don't rust, roofing doesn't deteriorate, plastic doesn't yellow, caulk doesn't harden, trim screws don't rust, antennas don't leak, window rubber will last and lights never leak, just to name a few things.

I keep mine garaged at all times when not in use.  Last week I fixed the leaking antenna.  This week I'll be repairing the gutter above the slideout because the screws leaked, rusted and the screw holes are rotted.  The only visible problem was a bit of brown rust just started to show.  These things need all the protection they can get and that isn't enough.

Hanr3 said:
As others eluded to a Cover will not keep the snow from building so its not helping IMO.  Also wind is an issue.

spencerpj said:
I cover my 20' TT.  If for nothing else, to keep the sun off my graphics.  Mine is a 2012 model, and still looks almost brand new.  I cover the tires too, again, hoping to cut down on sun.  I cut up swim noodles, use blue tape, and cover all sharp corners,  It's a 4 hr process, but I like it wrapped up.
Here is a good reason for a cover IMO.

Ay-yi-yi... too much logic on both sides of this issue! As a brand-new owner, though, in western Washington where we do dip below freezing pretty often in the winter but don't typically get more than a few inches of snow, and having a spot on our property that's fairly well wind-protected but right under a lot of BIG trees, I'm leaning toward getting a cover. Not just for winter but for summer too, to protect the finish and seals and everything else from both cold, freezing water, hot sun, etc. I'm looking at the ADCO 34815 Designer Series from Amazon, by the way. I know it's a bit of a pain to cover/uncover, but it's also protecting what for us is a pretty big investment.

Has anyone tried shrink wrapping their trailer?  I saw a few places advertising and wondered if anyone tried it out,

I cover mine, but I would NEVER shrink wrap it.  The cover needs to breath, if not, you will have one moldy mess inside as a surprise when you go back.  I guess the top only, down 1 foot on the sides would help the snow slide off and would be all right I guess, but if it got a hole in it, and water got trapped between the roof and wrap, your white roof would be moldy black in the spring.

jnslprd said:
Has anyone tried shrink wrapping their trailer?  I saw a few places advertising and wondered if anyone tried it out,

That would be the last thing to do. The cover needs to breath so moisture doesn't build up inside and create a mold situation. A boat is not typically wrapped too tight so it does have some ventilation.

I'm in New Hampshire and have a 34 foot Fifth Wheel, I got a huge tarp that wraps the whole thing enough that I bungee cord the two sides to each other from under the camper, been doing this for 8 years never had it come close to blowing off and never had a mold problem.

We do not support covering the RV, at least here in NY. We get so much snow and wind, we feared the cover would just blow around too much and scratch the unit. If the unit was being stored inside, I would suggest a cover to help keep the dust and dirt of it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom