Brakes on 2006 chevy workhorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlie k

On my recent trip, with 2006 fourwinds 31,  I noticed that my brake pedal nearly hits the floor when stopping and also noticed a squeaking noise one time when brakes applied firmly. It does stop ok, but am wondering if this is a sign that I need new brakes. I'm not even sure what kind of brakes I have. Fluid is up, but never flushed. 42,000 miles. Do I take to a dealer for brake job or are there franchise type places that can handle this if necessary. Suggestions....Thanks...headed to Florida in winter

There are franchise places but depending on where you are. Some Midas shops can(I do not know that I would let them). Any workhorse place (not many left) any good small truck shop.
RVSERVICEREVIEWS.COM might come up with a good place.
BTW where are you now..
Some one may have a recommendation

Sounds like a basic brake job.  How long do you plan to keep it?  They'll probably want to replace rotors / drums.  If you're keeping it, I would do that as well as have them flush the lines.  It really will make a big difference.  I skimp on some things, brakes is not one of them.  However, totally call around.  The Dealer would be the last place I'd go.  I agree, I'd stear away from Midas, they tend to use less than Chinese parts.  A Mom & Pop shop should be able to do this.

Thanks for the info.....I live in Merrillville In. and there are lots of shops, but didn't know if you needed special skills with an RV. Plan on keeping for couple more years but driving to Florida and back with questionable brakes is not smart, so I will check with some local repair places. No to dealers because of COST? Thanks again

With only 42,000 on the brakes, I cant imagine that the brake pads are worn out.  With disc brakes all around, you should not have a "long" pedal, as disc brakes are self adjusting.  I would suspect air in the brake lines.

I would have the brake pads inspected for wear, and the brakes lines flushed before committing to bake pad replacement.

Also, is your RV one of the Workhorse chassis that were subject to the brake recall, and is so, was the recall done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom