Motorhome chassis maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

javandyke

I'm located in central Ohio and own a motorhome on a Ford F53 chassis. I've been trying to figure out where I can get normal maintenance chores accomplished. Things like coolant replacement, transmission fluid replacement, brake service, lube and so on. Where do folks usually get these things done? Oil changes I can do but other things I'd prefer to leave to professionals. Where do you get your maintenance done?

Thanks!

I recently had an oil cooler on my Ford leak a bunch of oil into the cooling system.  I was camped near Raton, NM.
I called the Ford dealer in Raton, and while he could get the part, my RV wouldn't fit in his shop.  He recommended a local truck repair that changed the cooler and flushed the cooling system about 6 times with water and Dawn dish soap.  We then filled the cooling system again with water and Dawn, and I drove several hundred miles(with my eye on the temp gauge constantly)to Lordsburg, NM.  At the Ford dealer there, they had no problem flushing the cooling system 3 or 4 more times until it came out clean and then replacing the coolant.

If I need normal maintenance(above and beyond an oil change), I'll call Ford first, and then I'll start in on the truck shops if the dealership doesn't want my money.

Many larger Ford dealers will do it, especially those that handle larger truck sales.  I've also had repairs done at commercial truck shops, e.g. alignments, exhuast system repairs, radiator work, etc.

I use a local independent general auto repair shop for such things that I don't want to do myself

Back
Top Bottom