propane question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papadude

Propane question: my keystone cougar 30RLS has 2 tanks, one on each side. the right tank has a red high pressure regulator and then plumbed to the left side into the 2 stage auto changeover regulator. The left tank is plumbed directly into the 2 stage regulator without a high pressure regulator. This doesn't sound right to me. I need your help with how your tanks are plumbed

I'm no propane expert but it doesn't sound right to me either.
I think there should be a high pressure line to the right & left input of the auto change over regulator.

I've never seen a setup with 2 regulators.

Mine has 2. The red one on the passenger side and the auto changeover on the drivers side. The one on the passenger side I'm told I don't even need it. They say it's there in case of a major accident and it's to prevent a huge  flow of propane if the pipe broke. Without that regulator, the propane will shut off anyway because of the safety valve inside the tank. The flow would shut off.

Most people will answer that you cannot regulate propane twice.  That is not correct in all cases.  An RV primary pressure regulator, whether for a single propane bottle of two bottles, and whether manual or auto switch-over, regulates the pressure down to less that 0.5 PSI. That is normally measured with a manometer that measures in inches of water and 11 IW is normal pressure for RVs.  If you put two regulators, regulating at 11 IW, in a row you will get no propane out of the second regulator.

On some fifth-wheel trailers there is a bottle on each side of the trailer (far apart).  There is a long line connecting the two bottles, via regulators.  In that situation the primary regulator, usually and auto-switching regulator) will be close to one propane bottle.  That one is regulating at 11 IW (less than 0.5 PSI).  The other tank, on the other side, will have a red high pressure regulator that regulates the high pressure from the bottle down to around 30 PSI before it enters the long crossover line.  That just protects the long line from very high pressure.  If you remove it everything "may" continue to work just fine...but it will be less safe and that long crossover line may not be designed to take the high pressure directly from the tank.  The factory doesn't install that "high pressure regulator" in all their trailer by mistake!

Also, the excessive flow shutoff device does NOT reside inside the propane bottle.  It, in fact, resides in the big nut on the "pigtail" line between the bottle and the regulator...the nut that attaches to the propane bottle outlet.  That nut also has a plastic over temp. safety device (in case of fire).  That device in designed to melt in the event of very high temperature and allow spring pressure to shut off the gas flow.  The propane bottle itself has an overfill shut off, an over pressure relief valve and a check valve in the outlet that does not allow propane to exit the bottle unless a "pigtail' line nut is properly attached.  

Thank you RVfixer, I wanted to ensure my setup is correct.  The reason I ask is because when I use the right side tank, the far side from the auto regulator, there is a whistle that sounds like it's coming from the auto regulator.  I am concerned about this and I should get it checked out.   

I just got a call from the dealer and he said all 5th wheels that have 2 apposing tanks are configured that way

Fifth wheel trailers that have two propane bottles that are far apart have the extra regulator, a high pressure red one.  Fifth wheel and travel trailers that have side by side propane bottles have just one regulator.

I am not sure about your whistle.  Make sure your propane bottle valves are open all the way...not too tight.  You should always open the bottles all the way to make sure the shaft seals seat.  I would also open both bottle valves and switch to the other tank and see if you still have the whistle.  If it goes away switch back and see if you still have it.  Maybe someone will chime in that knows something about the whistle.  Do you smell any propane?  Does it whistle all the time when the bottle is on...or just when you are using propane?  I have seen a designed whistle out of regulators if the diaphragm inside the regulator ruptures, but you would have a strong propane smell if that was the case.  If nobody has a good answer for that and you don't figure it out, I would have it checked.  I don't like mysteries in the propane system!

I have heard of that. the reason is the primary regulator is on one side so they regulate down a bit in the event of a creossover hose fail.. Or something like that.

Remember
Question: WHat happens if you mix Propane and Air in the proper proportions and there is a spark or flame?

My Answer: You land two counties over

Class: Breaks up lauging
Instructor says (once the laughter dies out) Exactrly...

Funny as that is. it is NOT funny.

Keystone provides that sort of information in their vehicle owner manuals and equipment manuals. Do they not answer that question?

Maybe you should also join the Keystone RV Forum. Here is the link, you can look without joining.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/index.php

FastEagle said:
Keystone provides that sort of information in their vehicle owner manuals and equipment manuals. Do they not answer that question?

Maybe you should also join the Keystone RV Forum. Here is the link, you can look without joining.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/index.php

I checked the owners manual and it doesn't cover my concern, I didn't see anything on the Keystone RV form after doing a search either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom