First time future fulltime RVers looking for brand/design recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheScottLife

Hey all,

So here's our story...my wife and I are 29 and 31 with a 2.5 year old daughter, have good jobs making good money and all of the things that go along with it. The longer we do the normal suburbia lifestyle the more we just want to walk away from it all. We get tired of the daily commute to sit at a desk to make money just to do it again the next day. For that reason we've decided to finish our house renovations within the next six months and hit the road in an RV with our little one. I work a corporate job that i'm hoping to be able to migrate into a remote position but we've decided that no matter what we're going to make this happen. At this point the main question is what to get for a rig. I've done a good bit of online research, we've walked through a few lots, checked out some used ones in person and gone to a large RV show. At this point we've narrowed it down to a 29-32' pull behind travel trailer with a separated bunkhouse (not just the corner bunks). That said, being that it will be the fulltime rig we're looking for quality but not looking to pay a ton either (aren't we all). We've found two models that fit that bill thus far that we're torn between to where i'm hoping to get some of your opinions based on experience. On one hand we have a Forest River Surveyor 295qble and on the other we have the Grand Design Transcend 29tbs. Here's my breakdown of feature differences between the two:

Surveyor features:

fiberglass exterior
aluminum cage (especially around the windows) including roof trusses
6000lbs
pvc roof
flex suspension
4 bunks
curtain for rear bedroom
cloth dining cushions
no actuators on under bed storage
rear bedroom curtain for door
pvc roof
exterior kitchen with sink, fridge and stove

Transcend features:

exterior kitchen with fridge and stove
motion sensor lights
3 bunks
solid surface counter
leather dining cushions
rear ladder
rear bedroom pocket wooden door
tons of kitchen storage and countertop
under booth side storage doors
bigger bathroom/shower
rounded curtain rod with residential shower curtain
more space at foot of the bed in the master bedroom
more master bedroom storage (closet and drawers)
porcelain toilet
actuators on under bed storage
one place for all water and electrical controls in front left
L shaped livingroom layout
heat ducts built into walls and not floor
stick and tin construction
1/3 thicker aluminum, wood frame but screws, framing around doors and windows
tpo roof

The two are very similar and both have pros and cons that make either of them a good option for us. The biggest difference between the two that's holding me up is the framing. If the Transcend were aluminum framed and stayed the same price I think it'd be a done deal as I feel the interior quality is a bit better, we like the kitchen layout better, we prefer the leather of the transcend's cushions and the wood pocket doors are important for my ability to work remote with a young child as well.

I've heard great things about Grand Design's inspections and warranty/service work whereas Forest River doesn't have that same reputation so that holds some weight for me as well being that it will be the fulltime home for a year or two.

As if that isn't enough of a decision to make I've also found a good deal on a 3 year old Surveyor which I'm also considering. It's in EXCELLENT shape, been storage kept, used enough to work out kinks but barely enough to tell it isn't new. This TT would cost me about $10k less so although I wouldn't get a factory warranty with it I'm trying to decide if I do land on the Surveyor (per your recommendations) if I should consider a used one or not.

Alright, hopefully that's enough detail to understand the dilemma we're in and hopefully some of you have some first-hand knowledge that can help us make a decision between Forest River vs Grand Design, Aluminum vs Stick and Tin and maybe even used vs new. I look forward to learning from everything that you all can contribute.

Thank you very much, Ben

Hi Ben, welcome to the forum. Do I understand correctly that you're selling your house and living full time in your RV or do you mean that you're going to travel a bit for a while?
The first two rigs, are those brand new? I assume so because you listed a third option of used. I would choose used a thousand times over any day compared to brand new.  3 years is perfect, it's enough time for kinks to be worked out by the original owner yet still so close to brand new. The depreciation that a new RV (or car or boat or anything else) hits once it's driven off the lot is too much, in my opinion, fore to be the one taking that hit. I would prefer to let someone else take that huge hit and save myself a buttload of money. 

You seem to have a good handle on the construction-related "features" and I mostly agree with your analysis, but overall I think those differences are relatively minor.  It's much more important to get the size, layout and interior features you need for comfortable living. Bathroom & shower size and usability, galley size and equipment, beds for you and the child, decent quality cabinetry, comfortable lounge for tv/reading/computering/etc., adequate storage space for your toys and gear, and so on.

Used is normally a good option financially and I usually recommend it, but you need to compare the out-the-door pricing. Sometimes the discounted price on a new one gets mighty close to a 2-3 year old used rig, close enough that the value of a warranty or the ability to get a specific feature is worth the price difference.  However, a warranty has a lot more value for a new rig than for used - the used one has already had its wrinkles ironed out.

Hello all, thank you for the feedback thus far. To answer a couple of your questions about my situation...

1) yes, we're looking to sell our house and everything and just keep a small storage unit for the things that we'd come back to after our adventure is over
2) yes, i'm comparing specs, construction, layout of two new models but then i found a used surveyor that's pretty much identical to the new one (at a $10k price cut) that i'd be interested in should i decide to go the Surveyor route

I do like the idea of going the used route for the exact matter of depreciation and letting somebody else take the hit as well as getting a unit that's already had the kinks worked out. I've heard a lot of "warranties are garbage" and am starting to understand the reasoning behind that so i appreciate that feedback though i do understand that it's a case by case basis and everybody's experience with them isn't the same.

Keep the feedback coming. I'd really like to hear more on the opinions of the two brands overall as well as if others agree with Gary's perspective on the construction: "You seem to have a good handle on the construction-related "features" and I mostly agree with your analysis, but overall I think those differences are relatively minor"

Thank you again.

I  think you are barking up the wrong tree. All those features you mention are pretty worthless when comparing RVs. Especially the framing issue. Pretty worthless to even think about that. Newbys never know what they want until they have used their RV for at least a year. Most end up trading in the first year. Mainly because newbys want the smallest RV they think they can get away with only to find out it is much too small. You will spend about 5% of your time driving it somewhere and 95% of the time living in it so it is much more logical to think about the floorplan than to worry about it being easy to tow or drive. Of course you will be limited as to what you can pull with the tow vehicle you have. Most newbys want a much larger RV than their tow vehicle can handle. RV salesmen will lie to their own mother to sell you an RV and typically tell you your truck can pull anything on the lot. You should post the numbers for your truck and let one of the weigh experts around here tell you what you can safely tow. There is a huge difference between what you can tow and what you can tow safely.

IMHO the most important thing about RV shopping is finding a floorplan you love. Next is condition and third is price. Another reason to buy used is so that you don't lose too much money when you trade it in. Shopping by brands is a poor idea in my book. It is hard enough to find the right RV without restricting yourself to just one or two brands. I agree with Gary that all those features are very miner compared to floorplan, condition and price. If you were going to be towing off road or on horrible highways at 80 miles per hour the framing might be important. If you drive sensibly the framing won't matter. I would bet 99% of the RVers have no idea how their RV is framed.

I've heard a lot of "warranties are garbage" and am starting to understand the reasoning behind that
Be careful not to mix comments on "extended warranties" (which are not warranties at all) and factory warranties.  A factory warranty is quite good at fixing the factory goofs and early life failures that are so common with RVs of any brand or model.  Their main downfall is the poor service at most RV shops and the limited choice of repair locations.  Some RV dealers will do warranty repair only on units they sold themselves, or will prioritize all other work ahead of a warranty repair.  RV buyers usually expect to get warranty service similar to a new car dealer, but that rarely happens.

Dealer RV shops are notoriously slow and often poor quality, while at the same time very expensive for customer-pay work. Warranty reimbursement rates are usually substantially below customer-pay rates, so the dealer isn't motivated to do ny more thn necessary.

Extended warranties are simply repair insurance pans with a whole bunch of restrictions and exceptions.  That's a whole different animal and far too much to discuss here. If interested, use SEARCH to find the dozens of previous topics on 'extended warranty'.

When I say warranties are worthless I mean all RV warranties, new or extended. I have heard too many horror stories of people buying a new RV and then taking it in and waiting three to six months to get everything fixed. I would much rather buy a used one without a warranty and then pay a mobile mechanic to come to my place and fix the problem.

Wood frames become an issue when there are water leaks, since the wood frame is susceptible to rot and mold. Nearly all RVs leak sooner or later, but only a modest percentage have severe enough water damage such that wood framing is a concern.  Leaks that are promptly detected and fixed seldom have long term implications, whether wood or metal. Neglected leaks, on the other hand, can be a disaster for any wood in the vicinity, whether frame, walls or floors.

My main concern about stick & tin construction is that it is a hallmark of a cheaper design. Manufacturers choose it because it is less expensive than metal & fiberglass, using the cost saving for either a lower price tag or more amenities and/or flash.  Stick & tin doesn't have to be shoddy construction, but the economics of RV manufacturing tend to put it in low end models. On the other hand, merely substituting metal studs for wood in otherwise identical construction is of limited value.  The wall construction, roof trusses, and the attachment of walls to roof and floor are critical to strength and rigidity. Mid & upper tier rigs tend to do a better job of this and they also use metal framing and fiberglass.

I consider roof construction and material to be more important than sidewalls. A TPO, fiberglass or aluminum roof skin is superior to EPDM in most evry way, and a roof with sturdy trusses flexes less and holds up better.  The roof also needs to be thick with insulation for both summer and winter comfort.

And, speaking of weather, most RVs are not designed to be lived in full time which means that heating and cooling can be expensive.  Most of us tend to follow the weather so we're in cooler climates in the summer and warmer in the winter, however there are exceptions.  For example, if you like to ski you'll need to recognize a trailer's limitations and think more about how to keep the RV warm in the winter.  Some RVs have what are called "arctic packages" and supposedly are better in more extreme weather conditions.  But, overall, floor plan, storage and livability issues are the most important items in purchasing an RV.  These are all personal issues that only you and your family can solve.  Take into account things like hobbies, growth of your little guy, clothing space for various seasons, work space, galley design, whether you will have a pet and its needs, etc.

ArdraF

Surveyor features:

fiberglass exterior
aluminum cage (especially around the windows) including roof trusses
6000lbs
pvc roof
flex suspension
4 bunks
curtain for rear bedroom
cloth dining cushions
no actuators on under bed storage
rear bedroom curtain for door
pvc roof
exterior kitchen with sink, fridge and stove

IF this coach really does have a PVC roof I'd stay very far from this coach. PVC gets very brittle when it gets a few years and in the elements WILL CRACK all to pieces. Do a search for Thor cracking problems. People that have bought some toy hauler coachs have been having problems with the rear cap cracking with out even using them, just sitting. Not really fond of wood framing either, I had wood on some of my earlier coachs but wouldn't buy one again. Not really much strength in a 2x2 frame.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom