Tire Blowouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ginger8814

Hello all!  I'm researching Class A or Class C motorhomes for next year's purchase and there was recently a horrible accident on I-90 near Seattle where a Class A blew a tire and they ended up going off the road.  Several people killed.  It got me to thinking about what I would do in a Class A or Class C if I was in that situation.  (they think it was a tire blow out).  I've now watched several youtube videos on what not to do.

My condolences to anyone on this forum who knows the family.

My question to you all is.....which would be more survivable if either front tire blows?.....class A or class C. And does anyone have any advice for me besides go find something else to worry about..lol.

Yeah these are the things that run thru my head while I'm trying to sleep. not because I'm a worry wart, but because I like to know how deep the deep end is before I jump in it.  Thanks.

Maintain tires, Maintain tires,  tire pressure correct, Tire pressure monitor system and an infrared temp gun
Make sure tires are not to old even if tread looks great.
5-6 years can be used for rough estimate. Although if I bought anything from someone with over 5 year old tires on it I would change them out.

They are almost all survivable if you have the knowledge and skills to do the right thing.
Do not hit the brakes, maintain speed until you gain control then slow down safely

IN another thread I posted a link to a couple of Videos from Mitchlin. One of them is advertised elsewhere as "Watching these videos may save your life"  Believe it. I've seen the video. Believe it.

Also maintaining good tires is important as well... Now today both I and the RV are very tired (22xx dollars worth of tired) six brand new Toyo 2.5's replacing my "Vintage" Mitchlins.

The tire store only dropped the RV one time when my bottle jack, which they were using since the shop did not have a big enough jack.  Punched through the ashphault.

Other side we put a nice BIG FOOT under it like 2x8x3feet.

Took two workers and I about an hour to put it back up on the jacks.. Thankfully I know how to do that.  and had the needed tools (Lots of lumber).

John From Detroit said:
IN another thread I posted a link to a couple of Videos from Mitchlin. One of them is advertised elsewhere as "Watching these videos may save your life"  Believe it. I've seen the video. Believe it.

Also maintaining good tires is important as well... Now today both I and the RV are very tired (22xx dollars worth of tired) six brand new Toyo 2.5's replacing my "Vintage" Mitchlins.

The tire store only dropped the RV one time when my bottle jack, which they were using since the shop did not have a big enough jack.  Punched through the ashphault.

Other side we put a nice BIG FOOT under it like 2x8x3feet.

Took two workers and I about an hour to put it back up on the jacks.. Thankfully I know how to do that.  and had the needed tools (Lots of lumber).

I thought I was the only guy who helped the guy at the shop work on my RV.  I troubleshot and repaired my Spendide Combo washer while the guy had it out of the wall fixing the plumbing.  Saved me pulling it.

Well I did not help him with changing the tires. but I helped with the disaster recovery when the jack punched through the pavement and dropped the RV..  I know where to reposition the jack, and I knew why there was a bunch of lumber in the storage compartment and more in my car so I brought over planks to block it up. I also knew where to put the planks. they did the work..

But it was interesting.

My question to you all is.....which would be more survivable if either front tire blows?.....class A or class C. And does anyone have any advice for me besides go find something else to worry about..lol.
I don't think there is any rational answer to that. The first question, of course, is whether there is a crash or not. Despite the internet scare stories, few front tire failures result in crashes or total loss of control. Scary, perhaps, but if the driver doesn't panic he/she can usually bring the rig to a controlled stop.  The Michelin video recommends accelerating slightly, but most times you can just let the rig coast to a stop as you hold the wheel firmly (yes, it really tugs at you!).

If you lose control and crash, the Class C probably has the air bags of a standard van which should help, plus the driver/passenger sit somewhat further back vs a Class A. [I say "probably", because Super C's like a Jayco Seneca are truck-based and usually don't have the front air bags of a van.]    However, a Class A places the seating higher above obstacles and generally has a stronger chassis up front, so will actually protect the occupants better in some situations.  I've been in a crash in a Class A and so has a buddy of mine and none of us got more than a scratch.

Rear axle(s) tire "blowouts" on any vehicle are not usually a big problem re. vehicle control. On the other hand, front axle blowouts on any vehicle can be a control problem if not handled properly. The initial reaction is usually stomp on the brakes and it is the wrong reaction. I'd hazard a guess that less than 10% of the people driving (any vehicle) know what to do with a front tire blowout. Probably has never been part of their training (professional truckers and some RV owners excluded).

AMEN, Bruce!  The possibility of a blowout is one of the major reasons for keeping two hands on the wheel at all times. You are gonna need both hands to keep control.

BruceinFL said:
I'd hazard a guess that less than 10% of the people driving (any vehicle) know what to do with a front tire blowout. Probably has never been part of their training
I'm not insinuating that everybody thoroughly studied or remembers everything they learned to get their driver's license, but it is taught in the material one is supposed to know before getting a permit.

I would say survivability would be much higher in the Class C with air bags and high back seats to protect you from debris in the back.  I'm pretty convinced that a front blowout in our Class A would not end well, and I'm pretty sure I would not react correctly per the Michelin video.  I'm also pretty sure we have Tyrone Rings on our front wheels but I can't be positive (I'll find out next spring with new tires).  I was going to add a Safe-T-Plus this year at the rally, but after talking to many with it, decided not to because of the impact to regular driving.

Ya - I think about it every once in a while, and my wife knows it because in the silence she will see my hands creep up to that "10" and "2" position on that steering wheel for no real reason :) 

By the way, that is actually a pretty comfortable position even though it is a little Ralph Kramden looking :)

Hi,

Don't want to turn this into a different thread, but I have one comment for Ginger and others. I was on the road several times this summer. There are an awful lot of people driving RV's at pretty high speeds. I am sure some of the trailers with small (dealer provided) tires were going way too fast on the road when they passed me like I was standing still. Some of the big higher quality rigs look like they have good quality tires but I wonder if they are really rated for the 75 or 80 mile an hour speed limits. One thing for sure, if you do have a blow out it takes longer to stop at the higher speeds than if you are going slower.

When there isn't much traffic I like to take one of my hands off the wheel for a break. Hoping I can get it back on in time if I ever have a blow out. I do need to invest in the TPMS for my rig. With new tires I have felt I am relatively safe at this time. Realizing that anything can happen.

I'm pretty sure all Class A and Cs are rated for 80 mph.  Any toad is as well.  Any trailer with ST tires, including tow dollies, automatically downgrade the entire rig to 65 mph max.

If you are worried about a crash caused by a tire blowout  you can buy a Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems that monitors tire heat and pressure.  Some blowouts are caused by low tire pressure.  Low tire pressure causes excessive heat. A TPMS makes checking pressure easy.

A TPMS will not prevent a blowout but it can alert to low tire pressure that can result in a blowout. I have one and I like knowing that my tires are being monitored real time.

There is no way of knowing if a tire has sidewall damage that can result in a sudden blowout with no warning. I also have a steering damper that is supposed to help control pulling left or right in a front tire blowout.  I don't know if it works as advertised but it is cheap insurance when compared to the cost of a motor home. 

Most importantly know how to control your motor home if a blowout happens.

I doubt that one vehicle is safer than another.  I believe that the type of event will matter more than the type of vehicle.  Some events will be more survivable in a class C and other events will be more survivable in a class A.

Safe travels.  JD

I'm pretty convinced that a front blowout in our Class A would not end well, and I'm pretty sure I would not react correctly per the Michelin video.
While it's not a cure-all, mental practice runs can help quite a bit. I've found this to be true in driving (starting from some Ohio Highway Patrol articles I read as a kid), and going through my flight instructing years (having a student just sitting in the easy chair with hands and feet on the controls, mentally flying -- helps a lot). So I'd expect that watching the video a time or three, then sitting back in your easy chair, closing your eyes, and mentally running through a number of scenarios of what to do when a tire blows. Do this for 10-20 minutes at a time, two or three times a week for a month or so.

After all, the so-called muscle memory is actually a function of the brain, so you're rehearsing it with the brain. It might not make everything automatic, but it'll help. I've avoided a number of accidents thanks to using this process over the years, even though there's no chance to practice. Even things I've read have come back to help on certain occasions.

Rear tire blow outs are of limited concern but avoid a panic brake application as has been mentioned. Front tire blow outs can be a problem if you can not adjust to the condition quickly. Along with resisting the urge to stomp on the brakes you should be aware of avoiding what is called target fixation. Target fixation injures many motorcycle riders every year and is specifically taught in most motorcycle safety courses. Basically, when the vehicle starts to suddenly move in a direction you are not expecting, your eyes fixate on where the VEHICLE is heading and there by your head and body inadvertently also focus in on that same spot and BOOM, that's where you end up going !  The key there is to have the situational awareness to snap your eyes out of that focus and look at where YOU want the vehicle to go and there by your head and body compensate to make the correction.
A good way to practice this is with an off road vehicle like a 4 wheeler where you intentionally spin the back tires in sand or loose dirt and have to counter steer into the slide even though this is almost reverse of a blow out counter steer, you can get the feeling of controlling a some what odd feeling out of control condition by focusing your eyes on where you want the vehicle to go instead of where you are actually moving.
Modern tires are really better than they have ever been as long as they are correctly rated for your application, properly inflated and inspected and within their useful life cycle. That's really on the owner / driver to check and the rest is up to chance, training, knowledge and maybe some luck.

I would rather be lucky than have to be good any day, but prepare to be good everyday in case you are not lucky some day....

Mile High said:
I'm pretty sure all Class A and Cs are rated for 80 mph.  Any toad is as well.  Any trailer with ST tires, including tow dollies, automatically downgrade the entire rig to 65 mph max.

Motorhomes are probably fine at those speeds. Toads...not necessarily. It's very vehicle-dependent. We towed a Ford C-Max that was limited to 70 MPH. I'm sure there are plenty of other toads with similar restrictions.

Also keep in mind, several states place other limitations on your speed when you're towing ANYTHING. In California, for example, a 2 axle motorhome (regardless of size) has the same speed limit as any other passenger vehicle, but as soon as you hook up a toad, boat, tow dolly, anything behind it, it has the same speed limit as the semi's running up/down the highways. (even a pickup truck with a small 1 axle trailer is limited to 55 MPH)

A TPMS like the PRessure Pro or TST system is good it will let you know if the tire is :low": and in so doing prevent many blowouts. but there is also the "Sudden" blow out from say road debris.

Now I mentioned up-thread I think a video from Michelin about tire blow outs. I've seen it a couple times (Both on line and in a RV safety class at an FMCA rally).  Truth be told. I learned from it. the methods they suggest for recovering/maintaining control were NOT taught in Driver's ed.

I do not know if they are taught to "Big Rig" drivers or not (WIll have to ask some day).  But I will say this....

Far too many drivers are "Point and shoot" drivers. they are not "Vehicle operators"  By "Point and shoot" I mean listen to the guy at the dodge car ride.. Hold the wheel Push the pedal. that's about all they know.. Hold the wheel Push the pedal.. So when somethign goes wrong they STAND ON THE BRAKES.. #1 on the list of things not to do when you have a flat.. #2 on that list is roll over and die. that follows #1 all too often.

What do the experts suggest?  A vehicle tends to go straight ahead when you accelerate so STAND ON THE GAS till you regain control then coast to a stop.. on the shoulder  But watch the film for the full picture.. My Teacher is one of the people in it. The RV belonged to his parents.

BoomerD said:
Motorhomes are probably fine at those speeds. Toads...not necessarily. It's very vehicle-dependent. We towed a Ford C-Max that was limited to 70 MPH. I'm sure there are plenty of other toads with similar restrictions.

Also keep in mind, several states place other limitations on your speed when you're towing ANYTHING. In California, for example, a 2 axle motorhome (regardless of size) has the same speed limit as any other passenger vehicle, but as soon as you hook up a toad, boat, tow dolly, anything behind it, it has the same speed limit as the semi's running up/down the highways. (even a pickup truck with a small 1 axle trailer is limited to 55 MPH)
I was not aware they made a US car that was limited to less than than the 80 mph speed limits in Wyoming - learn something every day.  I imagine you just stay off the interstates with those types of cars to avoid being a nuisance. :)

Ya, I do remember that in California going to see the Redwoods.  I hated it so bad, we disconnected and the wife drove the Jeep so we could pick up the speed.  Funny a state that picks on towed vehicles, but lets motorcycles rule the road.

Back
Top Bottom