From IL to NY and back again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
So here?s my story, folks.  We are now proud owners of a 1994 Thor Residency, 35? Class A motorhome.  Traveling from Illinois to New York to pick it up was quite an experience, best shared by detailing each day of our trip.  And who better to share the story with than all of you!  I?ll post ?chapters? here as I am able to type them up.  Comments welcome?

CHAPTER ONE / DAY ONE ? The Drive & Pickup

We left central Illinois at about 6:15am, planning on losing an hour due to the time zone change and wanting to arrive in northwestern New York with plenty of daylight remaining.  We drove east through Indianapolis, Columbus, up toward Cleveland, over to Erie, and continuing past Buffalo.  It was a long 10-hour trip, anticipation building as we traveled.  We were actually going to buy a motorhome!  I could hardly believe it.  Right around Erie, I called the seller to give him a travel update and verify the meeting place.  I was a little worried (for him) when he said our meeting was still on schedule, but he had been having chest pains for about 12 hours and his wife was driving him to the hospital as soon as we picked up the motorhome.  Yikes!

We arrived in the planned grocery store parking lot a couple hours later, and my wife went in to use the restroom while I watched the back of the lot eagerly.  Sure enough, in came rolling the ?94 Thor Residency looking just as beautiful as I had imagined.  We drove over to meet them and check out the RV.  Everything looked great, or acceptable at the very least.  In hindsight I now realize my rose-tinted glasses were definitely on (as the saying goes), but even if I would have noticed every flaw it wouldn?t have changed our decision to purchase.  The seller was very thorough although a little scattered with the walk-through.  He really covered a lot of the components and was quite helpful, but being a newbie and a little overwhelmed I couldn?t quite take it all in.  I remember hearing him say something about how ?house batteries never last too long? as he was showing me inside that particular exterior storage compartment.

When all was said and done, we handed over the check and he handed over the keys to our new-to-us Thor motorhome.  What a feeling to drive that puppy out onto the road!  The campground where we stayed our first night was just a couple minutes down the road, so we pulled in and I paid my half-price Passport America rate ($19 at that place). ;)  Finding a spot and backing in was not too hard, but those hydraulic jacks gave me a run for my money.  I thought it would take 5 minutes tops.  How about 90!  I am not kidding.  Every time I?d get the rear jacks as high as they needed to be, I?d feel a mighty shift and the whole rig would fall backward off the jacks and roll a couple feet.  The jacks would retract and we?d have to start over.  We finally got it mostly level with a couple 2x4?s as jack stabilizers, but even then jacks were sitting slightly crooked as if they were about to retract.  Any tips on leveling would be much appreciated? I have needed or tried to used the jacks again since that night.

After the leveling fiasco was solved, we headed back to the grocery store to pick up supplies and stock the fridge.  Came back to the campground (only sparsely populated, it was a Sunday night after all), took hot showers in the rig, and headed for bed.  Some of the ?iffy? cosmetic features of the rig showed up that first night, when the shoddily constructed futon bedframe fell apart before we even laid down on it.  That?s okay, the mattress fit fine (and was just as comfortable) on the floor.  I?ll rebuild the frame later on.  And so ended our first day as RV?ers. 

CHAPTER 2 COMING SOON

Keep smiling!  And we'll await the next installment.

ArdraF

CHAPTER 2 / DAY 2 ? The Highs and the Lows

We woke up feeling good about our first night spent in a campground, in our new RV.  The plan of the day was to go visit Niagara Falls in the morning, and head out of town later in the afternoon headed toward our next camping spot near Lake Erie, PA.  We broke camp (emptied the gray tank but figured we?d wait on the black for now) and took this happy photo before pulling out.  The Thor was left in a nice roomy Target parking lot for the day, and we drove the car (?99 Olds Aurora) to the Falls area to enjoy the sights.  We parked on the NY side and walked the Rainbow Bridge over to Ontario, snapping pictures the whole way.  The Canadian view of Niagara Falls was amazing, as shown in this photo.  Later on we walked back to the U.S. side and opted for the ?Cave of the Winds? tour, which lets you take an elevator down to a cave which exits near the base of the American ?Bridal Veil? falls.  Then you can walk down a series of wooden decks to the bottom of the falls themselves, and get completely soaked!  It was spectacular to see/feel/hear such a powerful creation, making me feel exhilaration, amazement, and insignificance all at once. 

From there we left the area and headed back in the Aurora, into the city to get the RV and prepare our exit from NY.  Driving along a busy 4-lane city street and approaching a traffic light, I attempted to merge into an adjacent lane to go around traffic waiting to turn.  I saw a flash of movement out of the corner of my eye, my wife yelped, and it was over before the *bump* and screeching of tires even registered in my brain.  I hit another car.  Everyone was fine luckily; it was low speed and only the fenders rubbed a little.  Both cars insured, police responded but no reports or tickets were issued.  We exchanged insurance and contact information and prepared to get on our way, but realized that it was now about 4:30pm and at this rate we would leave Niagara Falls just in time to get stuck in nearby Buffalo?s rush hour traffic.  So we took our time, picking up some souvenir shirts for the kids, eating dinner, and driving the motorhome to a nearby Firestone repair center to have the pressures checked in the tires and rear airbags.  The guys at that shop were great, didn?t charge me a dime for the service so I tipped the worker that topped off all the air levels.  It was hot that day (around 90 degrees), so I decided I?d fire up the generator and run the roof air while driving.  We headed out and about a mile away I was approaching another intersection on a busy 4-lane street.  At that point the dominoes started to fall.  The roof air shut off.  Before I could think ?huh?? I heard the generator putter to a stop.  And then my eyes and ears were drawn to the doghouse cover, under which the Ford 460 was struggling to stay alive.  Right in line with  my deepest fears, my new motorhome was dead in the middle of the street with no signs of starting up again anytime soon.

Amidst the cars flying past, horn-honking, and finger flipping that commenced, suddenly I was beginning to *not* like New Yorkers so much, as if I was purposely stopped in the middle of the road *just* to slow them down!  I got on the phone with Progressive, who shuffled me around considerably because my new policy was not yet in their system to verify the roadside assistance.  First they sent a truck to try a jump start? no dice.  The engine was turning over just fine, it was just as if no fuel was making it to the engine so it could start & run.  A nice older gentleman gave me two gallons of gas out of his gas can (he refused to let me pay him back) to make sure that wasn?t the problem.  It wasn?t, but I did manage to spill gasoline on the front of my shirt.  The baby tow truck that arrived for the jump attempt finally hooked up a chain and at least was able to pull me around the corner, onto a less-busy street between a gas station and Denny?s.  The police showed up (second time I?ve seen them today) while traffic was busy, to make sure no one rear-ended us, so I chatted with two officers and the tow driver for awhile.  We all seemed to agree that it seemed like a fuel problem (pump? filter?) and Firestone was recommended as a repair facility to try.  Hey, I know where that place is?

Then it was back on the phone with Progressive roadside assistance, Wendy to be exact.  Wendy and I must have spoken six times over the next three hours, as she (on her end) tried to line up a local tow truck big enough for the motorhome and I (on my end) kept tinkering with things and reading manuals trying to figure out the problem.  The starter would turn over like a champ but nothing else would happen.  No power, no water, no lights, no air.  It was hot.  At least the Denny?s was right next door, so we had bathrooms to use.  Wendy discovered that no truck in the area would be available until 8am the next morning.  I was beyond frustrated, although by that time I had decided that the Jacob?s Power Pak (aftermarket ignition system) was part of the problem.  I?d found a blown fuse in the Jacob?s wiring and replaced it, but no difference.  I called the local police (starting to make friends over there at this point) and obtained permission to park on the street overnight.  Although what would they have done otherwise ? tow me?  Ha.  We drove the Aurora to Wal-mart and picked up a couple reflective orange triangles? you know, the kind you see behind trucks on the road and think ?oh that poor sap is broken down?.  Flustered, overheated, and unwilling to spend money on a hotel, we put our heads at the high end of the tilted motorhome (parked on the side of the road remember) and attempted sleep for the next 8 hours.  Cars rushing by our open window would jolt us awake several times an hour, and I must have lost a gallon of sweat before the sun rose.  And as I drifted off to sleep (again, and again, and again), I was convinced that tomorrow would end better.

STAY TUNED FOR CHAPTER 3

Very detail report and sorry for the unsuspected problems.  Certainly hope things get better in a hurry.

1994 Ford 460's all had bad fuel pumps.  There was a service change to install new ones.  Far as I know - every one of them failed.  We had a failure in 1995 going down Texas Pass.  The genset stopping is a sure clue that it is the fuel pump.  It is too late now but at the time - if the pump was the problem - if the gas cap is removed - the rig will often start and can be moved.  The tank is pressurized and that will load the pump.  This advice was from Ford at the time it happened.

First we want to congratulate you again on getting your first MH.  Thank you for the detailed reports.  Sorry to hear you had some difficulties so soon.  However, if it is the fuel pump the new one should last much longer since as Fred mentioned Ford did have a problem with fuel pumps back then.  I am sure you and your wife will really enjoy this new lifestyle.  I'm also sure you will agree with us that it is much easier to take your closet with you than pack bags. ;D

Looking forward to Chapter Three.

Yep  been down that road on fuel pumps.  Karl  you hearing this. 

scottydl said:
...We drove the Aurora to Wal-mart and picked up a couple reflective orange triangles? you know, the kind you see behind trucks on the road and think ?oh that poor sap is broken down?.  ...

Good ones, too!  They showed up real well in your photo!  :D

CHAPTER 3 / DAYS 3-4 ? Why Didn?t I Think of That?

Morning came (finally) and I was determined to get things going.  To briefly rewind to Day 2, many folks (upon hearing this story) comment that they would have been calling the seller immediately.  After all, I was only a few miles away from where I bought the motorhome and from where this gentleman lives.  But don't worry, I thought of that and DID call him fairly quickly to see if he had ever experienced the problem.  Voicemail.  Called again later (in between conversations with Progressive).  Voicemail.  Remember the pending E.R. visit?  He much have been admitted to the hospital because the third time I called, his outgoing voicemail greeting was a message to ME.  He apologized repeatedly for the situation I was in, commented that he wasn't even supposed to be using his cell phone, and wouldn't be available at all until Tuesday.  Said he thought it might be the starter solenoid, he had to replace that once.  Then the message ended, "everyone else, leave a message after the beep."  <beeeep> ;)  Just another level of complexity to this situation we found ourselves in.

After a morning visit to the Denny's restrooms and some more poring over owner's manuals, I noticed a "tech support" number for the Jacob's system.  I called it just after they opened at 8:30am, and spoke with a tech who told me my inclinations were probably right... the Jacobs ignition was keeping the engine from starting.  Hood was opened, doghouse cover removed, and the tech talked me through identifying all the components and bypassing the Jacobs so the factory ignition took over again.  Turned the key, and *vroom* she was alive!  The 8am big rig wrecker was already on its way so I called Progressive and cancelled, bound and determined to drive this thing wherever it needed to go.  Before I could celebrate too much, my voltmeter skyrocketed to 45, and the panel on the wall sparked and smoked rather violently.  Put in a call to Firestone and talked to Woody, a Ford tech who had owned motorhomes in the past.  He was our saving grace on this day, and advised me to unplug the alternator before sensitive electronics started frying.  Woody said I would make it to the shop on battery power alone, and sure enough we did (taking the back roads as not to risk another busy-street blockage).  Once I was checked in and a ticket was started at Firestone, the first thing Woody checked was the house battery compartment.  Sure enough, one of the positive battery posts had snapped clean off the battery!  The assumption is that it occurred while driving... alternator then began overcharging the engine battery (since the two house batteries were no longer hooked up to receive power) and everything else close (i.e. the Jacobs system) took the brunt of it.  Jacobs fried, the spark signal was shut off, and the engine died.  And there we had it.  Two new heavy duty Napa 6v house batteries, a couple hours, and we were rolling southwest out of New York.  It was a gooood feeling.

I was nervous about the drive, being both a newbie Class A operator and having recently experienced road trouble.  Then we proceeded to drive through two massive thunderstorm systems, so my driving prowess was tested right off the bat!  But the rig handled fine, we made it through Buffalo and out of western New York, and once we entered Pennsylvania it was a piece of cake.  Pulled into Virginia's Beach Lake Erie campground just as the rain ended, paid my $21 Passport America rate, and spent the next two days with the most amazing lakefront campsite view.  Many of you have probably already seen the photos of our first evening and next morning views.  Outstanding.  :cool:  We spent the days at the beach, relaxing in the rig, and meeting some great RV neighbors.  One couple gave us their 2005 Trailer Life CG directory (they had just ordered the 2007 version) while we were talking about finding new places to visit.  The amazing views of Lake Erie sunsets and beaches made it all worthwhile.  We got some more practice dumping tanks (no major catastrophies yet), and headed out Thursday morning. 

BONUS
CHAPTER 4 / DAY 5 - Getting Home

The 600-mile drive home was long, about 10 hours of me and the RV.  Again I started out nervous, lots of semi trucks and construction traffic every 50 miles or so.  Went through Cleveland, to Toledo, the rest of the way across Ohio and Indiana to Chicago, then southwest to our central Illinois homestead.  I got more comfortable behind the wheel, and the Thor got more comfortable with me driving.  Started to get used to all the regular noises, so I was constantly worried that something else would go wrong.  I kept the cruise control right around 60-62mph, with most traffic flying by but that was okay.  Filled up the tank (about 5/8 worth) in Ohio for $195, and then again when we got home (about 1/2 worth) for $160.  Averaged 7.4 mpg.  It's a good thing I had our fuel costs budgeted in, or I would have croaked!  Tolls I didn't account for, so that was a litte annoying.  $5.15 to leave New York, $9 to get across Ohio, $4.15 for Indiana, and $1.15 just to get into Illinois.  And my wife had to pay about half those amounts for the Aurora as she followed me.  :p  Anyone else remember when you'd maybe hit a couple tolls for any given trip, where you'd throw in 25-40 cents and keep on going?  Those days are long gone!

It felt great to be home, and to get the Thor backed into my extra gravel driveway that's been wanting an occupant for so long now.  We were emotionally and physically exhausted, but the journey was over.  Actually I think it's just begun.  :)  The To-Do List for the RV is already approaching 20 items or so, as we get the Residency up to our standards.  Attention to detail wasn't exactly on the previous owner's priority list, although he kept it up mechanically.  More little flaws have popped up since reality has set in, but that's part of the fun and part of the risk buying used.  Tonight I spent most of the evening after work tearing out the extra wall and framing in the bedroom where a closet had been installed.  We'd rather have the larger bedroom.  It felt good to get started making this rig OURS, letting the kids play in and around in, and knowing we will be RV'ing with the likes of you all for several years.  ;D

Thanks for the detailed report of your adventure picking up your motorhome.  It is an adventure you will look back on and enjoy the memories.  Now you will really enjoy this new freedom you have to travel in your own MH and see the nation.

Super report Scotty and thrilled you got it home.  Yes the jolt of the problems and the costs really scare you at first.  But now you know what could happeen and the corrections have been made.  You'll definitely get your own personal touch to the rig soon.  Happy motoring and keep us informed.

Your parking brakes are only on the rear axle. Never extend the rear jacks far enough to lift the rear axle off the ground, falling forward is guaranteed. Happened to me at 3:30 AM. Hell of a way to wake up!

rhmahoney said:
Your parking brakes are only on the rear axle. Never extend the rear jacks far enough to lift the rear axle off the ground, falling forward is guaranteed.

Hehe, funny the user manual doesn't mention that!  Just says to chock the wheels (which they weren't that night, part of the problem I'm sure) and keep extending the jacks until the yellow light goes off.

That's true of diesels with air brakes, but not necessarily on a gas powered motorhome.  In any case, it's never a good idea to jack so high that any wheels come off the ground, but if you must, you should use chocks on the other wheels as a precaution.  If a wheel is going to be that high for any length of time, put some boards or blocks under it so it doesn't just hang off the suspension.

The emergency/park brake on  a Ford motorhome chassis is indeed on the rear wheels. But Scotty mentioned having the rear air bags serviced and a Ford chassis doesn't have any air bags, front or rear.  Maybe there were aftermarket helper airbags added? Or this is some other chassis using a Ford 460 engine?

Didn't know that about the Ford chassis, I'll remember it, thanks.

Scotty,

Thanks for the update.  Glad you made it home safely, albeit with a few glitches.  Know what you mean about the construction and trucks.  When we left Wakarusa in our first diesel pusher, Jerry was busy reading manuals so I drove.  Our first city was Indianapolis with lots of those cement construction barriers, surrounded by trucks, and a drizzle.  Didn't close my eyes once, although I was tempted a few times!  ;)  After we got through there I figured I could drive it anywhere.  You'll feel more comfortable after a few trips.

Your Thor looks nice.  Have fun customizing it and hope you have many enjoyable trips and memories with it.

ArdraF

Our 93 Ford chassis had Airbags all the way around.  I bought it used  I'm sure they were add ons to try to stabilize it the way it bounced around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom