Facebook / Instagram, they spy, here is proof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpencerPJ

So, many of us trust the modern social media about zero.  Just wanted to share this.

My wife has one of my college daughters Facebook and Instagram account on her iPad.  (ps: Facebook owns Instagram, a social media website that people share pictures).  The iPad connects via wifi to my house router.  We just like to see her silliness and stay current with her friends and our families that she follows.  She is cool with it.

We all know that these social media sites make their money off selling ads, and presenting them in your face.

What I want to share.  I access this RV website, via my PC only, and is plugged into my router via via Ethernet cable.  Well, lately, I have been searching for a new pair of sneakers, New Balance, kinda bland, old man shoe, black., etc on a website called Zappos (great place). 

What is CREEPY, is, that an ad popped up on my daughters Instagram, for NewBalance, with the exact shoes I was looking at (and mind you nothing like a 21 year old college girl would ever look at)

I am floored, because THE only way that ad could be on her Instagram, is: Instagram / Facebook monitors Everything that goes through my Router, even by wifi, period.  I'm not upset per say the shoes are on there, but does Instagram / Facebook watch my online banking, my online Amazon use, my online Brokerage accounts?

Who could I even complain to about this? Surely this is invasion of privacy.

That is typical of how online advertising works. There are companies that track your every move and sell the results to other companies on the Internet. Facebook and Instagram don't have anything to do with it. There is no privacy on the Internet. None, zero, nada. Get over it or get off the Internet.

I can top that my work collegue and I are discussing something just off the wall. Never searched anything. Next time he is on his phone it pops up. Not on mine. He has Facebook I don't. The discussions we're picked up through the mic. I am very computer literate. The only reason I no longer have Facebook is I had a charge for $380 to my debit card.  It showed a number but said Facebook. Mind you I had never bought or given my debit card to Facebook. On line I use CC only for protection. I called Facebook and they said I had been hacked and they could protect my account for $250. I deleted my account and filed fraud claim at bank. FDIC covered it. Then 4 months later I got a refund from Facebook with an apology. They were never given my banking info at any time.

Ghostman said:
I can top that my work collegue and I are discussing something just off the wall. Never searched anything. Next time he is on his phone it pops up. Not on mine. He has Facebook I don't. The discussions we're picked up through the mic.
That's happened to me a few times and I swore I was going crazy! That's sooooooo creepy!

Cyber Threat IS our next World War.

I have a Discover Card that I use for internet only use, and at restaurants that the waiter leaves my sight, that I insist on low credit line (1k), and have text alerts set up at $25

That just burns me that our iPad is allowed to scan my wifi and gather information.  I would understand if I was doing the searches for the shoes on the iPad, but zero connection.  And even further that, my wife has been gone, IPad sitting on coffee table, not even being used.

Cannot wait to disconnect. (by disconnect I mean only turn it on when I need to and then turn it back off) No possible way to be totally shut off unless you have no $ and no bills. Sounds good though.. 34 years in communications....

Gee I wonder why it's going to be 100% IP Based communication in the future...

Not so much facebook but Google Lead Services. they track most everyting. Facebook leases it's ad space to google so google shows you what i thinks it wants you to see.

Or at least that is my theory.

Please do not ask my opinion of that.  It is one of the lessser meltdowns but still a melt.

Not spooky or evil at all.  Just software technology. 

Cookies.  Delete them.

Browser history.  Clear it.

most browsers can be configured to delete both when you exit.

Do you have any IOT (internet of things) in your home?  It may be possible for THEM to start targeting adds based upon what you say.  Even if you're not speaking to the device.

Smart TV with voice response?

Amazon fire TV.

Apple TV.

Etc.

I worked in a well know bank on it Fraud Department.

When using your credit card online use a note pad to type the credit card number not in the merchant website.

Use your bank virtual number service( the merchant will never know your real number- you can set the amount and for how long ).

As said here... when in the restaurant walk to the pay area or tell the waitress to run your card there!! where you can see it.
When you give a tip do not leave any space between the money sign and the amount..$  5.00 can be $55.00

That's true ..privacy ? what privacy? if you are in the internet , use a phone ( not the old type cord) laptop, has an Alexa at home ...any electronic device  YES SMILE YIU ARE ON CAMERA...

Anybody that is surprised your actions are not being tracked via the Internet is extremely gullible. Your daily travels are tracked via your GPS. Your shopping habits are tracked on FB and Yahoo and Google or any other search engine you use. You order a pizza online and your preferences are stored for future orders. And this Alexa thing is even more scary. I have heard it records all conversations it can hear. Have you seen that commercial where they guy is going to bed and he tells Alexa to go to Goodnight mode. All the doors lock, lights turn off, etc.

The scariest thing I heard is your microwave is spying on you.  :p Does anyone think our appliances talk to each other after we go to bed at night?  ;D

Oldgator73 said:
The scariest thing I heard is your microwave is spying on you.  :p Does anyone think our appliances talk to each other after we go to bed at night?  ;D

Yes they do but they speak in Russian.  The icemaker only talks in grunts and bangs.  The microwave beeps it presence but the mixer remains unplugged for privacy reasons.  Now it's the dog and two cats that converse and plan out their next day activities that keep me awake.

But half way serious - NO Facebook, NO Twitter, NO SOCIAL MEDIA of any sort and no GPS activated on phone makes Jack a lot safer boy.  Cash at restaurants is also a good practice.

Bill

Some of the above may be slight exaggeration.  For example, I put Alexa on a dedicated hot spot and monitored data useage for several weeks. The useage tracked with actual use of the Alexa. More importantly there was no data used at all unless we were using the device. If it was listening,  it wasn't telling anyone.

Ernie

:eek: Even if you turn off the GPS on your phone it can still track you! I do Google reviews with the GPS off at times. It will still come up and ask me to review Restaurants that I passed by earlier! Did it even visiting in Grand Rapids Mi. and my phone GPS was off! Big Brother is Watching!  8) Remember, there is no secure privacy on the Web!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom